"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #1,307 of 6,388
What's with this super long cable? There's no way I can walk around with this, is there anything I can do about it?

Somewhere on this or a near previous page is a link for the vmoda audio cable. It is a perfect fit, nice length and quite light. A nice cable, and I think it is all of $15. Unless you are a cable nerd (said in the "good" way) it is perfect.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #1,308 of 6,388
Quote:
Somewhere on this or a near previous page is a link for the vmoda audio cable. It is a perfect fit, nice length and quite light. A nice cable, and I think it is all of $15. Unless you are a cable nerd (said in the "good" way) is perfect.

It's $12. Thanks to gelocks/img/forum/go_quote.gif for the link:

I'm using the V-MODA audio only cable.

http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/

Works perfect!

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #1,309 of 6,388
Got my dogs today too.  Thanks Dan for everything, I can only echo the praise that's been streaming on and on in this thread for the man Dan and his dogs.

Out of the box from a Ibasso D3.  Quite impressed with everything but the bass.  Seems like the D3 has bottomed out in the bass department, I have never had this happened with this amp.  I don't think the dogs are as easy to drive as some people say.  Let it bake for two hours with the D3, same out come.  Switch to Lunch Box II.  Sounds smoother than the D3, bass a bit better but nowhere close to LCD2/HE6.  Bake for three more hours on the Lunch Box with no improvement.  OTL setup of the Lunch Box not working with orthos.  On to the Little Dot MK VII+, better, more bass presence, ahhhh sweet treble and mids.  

Definite keepers but need to recable to dual entry XLR4.

Thanks again Dan.

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #1,311 of 6,388
Quote:
What's with this super long cable? There's no way I can walk around with this, is there anything I can do about it?

People here buy a Vmoda cable to fix the cable. No changes in sound.
I used to have an angle connector from my UE TF10 and bought another dual 3.5mm ended cable to add in. And the result is even I turn the volume 100%, I am so disappointed that every thing sounds like a kilometer away from me.
Came back to the shop, buy some better cable. Plug it in, and I hear a "crack" the moment I insert the plug to headphone. That moment, I know that my UE TF10 cable wasn't plugged all the way in to the headphone so there is little current delivered to the headphone. 
Watch out for the ended plug that you plug in with the Mad Dog/Fostex T50RP. It must be long enough to push all the way in. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #1,313 of 6,388
Quote:
Well, at least they're here, just have to wait for my amp now.

I withdraw what I just said about length of the 3.5 mm. It's all the same when I compare them. But I notice that my good cable have 3 lines on the plug, while the UE TF10 have 2 lines. 
Pic here: (The good one is red, the bad one is black) 

Vmoda cable: (Notice the angle plug have 3 lines, but the other plug only have 2 lines?) My good cable have 3 lines on both end.

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #1,314 of 6,388
Quote:

Vmoda cable: (Notice the angle plug have 3 lines, but the other plug only have 2 lines?) My good cable have 3 lines on both end.

Having 3 lines on both sides is truly only important when you need TRRS. Either a microphone, control, or both. And even then, you see many cables that only have the second ring on one end because of how the microphone is integrated into the connector. The Vmoda cables that have the "speak easy" are where it's most important. Do the regular Vmoda cables have a control button of some kind on them? Just curious why they'd need the extra ring.

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #1,316 of 6,388
Quote:
I've noted your requests for comparative plots between the original and Dog Pad versions.  I'll get to it, though it might be a while.  I'm really busy right now and putting something together that is well done and easy to interpret just takes more time than I will have this week.  

Thanks Dan!

I'm using mine right now and I'm still thinking if I should send them or just get a refund! They sound sweet as they are but if you deem it an even better improvement, and data shows that too (i.e. subjectively and objectively) then I will definitely send them your way.

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #1,317 of 6,388
Quote:

Thanks Dan!

I'm using mine right now and I'm still thinking if I should send them or just get a refund! They sound sweet as they are but if you deem it an even better improvement, and data shows that too (i.e. subjectively and objectively) then I will definitely send them your way.

Thanks.

Mine sound great, but I have no basis for comparison with other pads.  They are way, way comfy, though, and I have plenty of basis for comparison there!  More comfy than my departed D7000's, more comfy than my Beyer DT 770 - 600's.

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,318 of 6,388
Quote:

Mine sound great, but I have no basis for comparison with other pads.  They are way, way comfy, though, and I have plenty of basis for comparison there!  More comfy than my departed D7000's, more comfy than my Beyer DT 770 - 600's.

Definitely agree! I used the very same pads on my other headphones (I'm a Shure fan!) and still, they didn't felt as good as the Mad Dogs. In fact, I'm using these to get a "break" from the high clamping Ultrasone Signature Pros which I also love but I find them uncomfortable for long periods of time...

With the Denon D5000s it's actually a similar feeling of comfort but the headband upgrade of the MDs make a difference!!

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #1,319 of 6,388
Quote:

Definitely agree! I used the very same pads on my other headphones (I'm a Shure fan!) and still, they didn't felt as good as the Mad Dogs. In fact, I'm using these to get a "break" from the high clamping Ultrasone Signature Pros which I also love but I find them uncomfortable for long periods of time...

With the Denon D5000s it's actually a similar feeling of comfort but the headband upgrade of the MDs make a difference!!

How is vocal detail and resolution with Mad Dogs compared to Sig Pro?  How do the highs compare? Now that I found my fun headphone for modern music, I am looking for something with impressive midrange detail for soft rock and vocals.

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,320 of 6,388
Quote:

How do the two compare soundstage wise (the mad dogs and the ultrasone sig pro)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back