Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Aug 20, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #3,466 of 3,495
if you use tidal or qobuz, then the roon radio functionality makes it worth it alone. roon radio kicks in when you're queue is empty and starts playing music that's similar that it thinks you'll like -- both in your library and what's available in roon and qobuz. i'm discovered so much amazing much that i never would have known about otherwise.

TIDAL also does the same when an existing playlist runs out…

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #3,468 of 3,495
I tried JRiver. I tried to like it; I really did. It so clearly a Windows port. It doesn't feel like a Mac application at all. Too bad, as it has some good features, and could easily be an iTunes replacement if Apple ever really destroys the new music application.

I also used Plex and Kodi pretty heavily. Kodi is a lightweight music player. Plex does have decent to good meta data lookup, which is really nice, and decent smart list capabilities.

Of course if one wants to sync music with an iOS device, Apple Music App (iTunes, not the streaming service) is the only game in town. Roon plays very nice with an existing iTunes library, but $500 lifetime is hard to swallow.

Oct 15, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #3,470 of 3,495
I'm old, so I came from a Winamp/xmms world as far as digital music is concerned ... so for me I play with some of these but I'm mostly stuck in a file structure with artist name>album title>track names and still mostly just use something like VLC

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #3,471 of 3,495
I have some issues I need help with. I have Audirvana Plus on my Mac Mini that is new last year. I was able to get DSD with my Cord 2Qute DAC. Yesterday I got a new Matrix X-Sabre Pro DAC and all it played is PCM. Is there something I need to adjust in Audirvana Plus? My Mac Mini? The Matrix?
In addition, I seem to have several albums on Audirvana Plus that have songs repeated through the whole album. How best way to remove the extra songs?

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #3,472 of 3,495
Fixed issue one. I had never configured Audirvana Plus, so, all this time, about 3 years, all I have been listening to is PCM. Until my new DAC, I just thought I was listening to DSD.

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #3,474 of 3,495
Depends on CD/SACD, headphone/speaker/amp gear, etc. e.g. off my Stax headphones, yes but off my V-Moda, somewhat more difficult. And for CD/SACD, if it was the early 2003 version of Norah Jones SACD, nope but the reissued 2012 version, yes. In other words, plenty of variables at play.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #3,475 of 3,495
Think I posted this on an article by accident vs this thread...

Anyone have AudirvanaPlus_3.2.16.dmg ?
I need to test it against AudirvanaPlus_3.2.18.dmg to see if the issue I have is with A+ or new Air machine...
I want to keep using a fully working A+ vs new Audirvana one which I really don't like.

Had to roll back to Sierra after finding out old A+ has been "retired" on Catalina....i just find GUI awful on new Audirvana.

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #3,476 of 3,495
Anyone have AudirvanaPlus_3.2.16.dmg ?
Had to roll back to Sierra after finding out old A+ has been "retired" on Catalina....i just find GUI awful on new Audirvana.

Yes. I am running the latest A+ on the latest Catalina on the latest MacBook Air. Everything works fine.

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #3,477 of 3,495
Yes. I am running the latest A+ on the latest Catalina on the latest MacBook Air. Everything works fine.
Strange, I could not get it to point to my library with 3.2.18 on Catalina and 2019 Air. I assumed it no longer worked with catalina as a way to force everyone on to the new one.

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #3,478 of 3,495
Do you guys get slow-down for sound to output on Tidal on a Mac? I see the player's progess bar moving, but no sound comes out immediately like in Windows, and takes a bit of time for the sound to kick-in.

Feb 23, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #3,479 of 3,495
Do you guys get slow-down for sound to output on Tidal on a Mac? I see the player's progess bar moving, but no sound comes out immediately like in Windows, and takes a bit of time for the sound to kick-in.

What's your entire set-up?

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #3,480 of 3,495
What's your entire set-up?
Mac Mini to Yggdrasil via usb. I'm wondering if this is regular issue that others are facing with Macs or isolated to my computer configuration. Doesn't matter what DAC is connected, I tried others as well, and Tidal does the same thing. It's got to be within the software.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back