Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #3,451 of 3,495
I have used Pine Player almost exclusively when not on Tidal Premium. Good simple player with many options to tailor your sound. You can link your iTunes music as well:

https://pine-player.apponic.com/mac/

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #3,452 of 3,495
Anyone using a network receiver unit that will work with Audirvana sub-$100 ?
I just need a small receiver box to kick 16/44 out to a DAC over optical.

There is an entry-level unit from August
https://www.augustint.com/us/productmsg-326-295.html
But the issue it has is, you cannot manually advance to next track or drag the slider along a track without it hanging/seizing up in
A+.

A+ designer confirmed the issue is with August firmware not A+.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #3,453 of 3,495
Anyone using a network receiver unit that will work with Audirvana sub-$100 ?
I just need a small receiver box to kick 16/44 out to a DAC over optical.

There is an entry-level unit from August
https://www.augustint.com/us/productmsg-326-295.html
But the issue it has is, you cannot manually advance to next track or drag the slider along a track without it hanging/seizing up in
A+.

A+ designer confirmed the issue is with August firmware not A+.

Does it have to be optical? My first thought is a Raspberry Pi with suitable software.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #3,454 of 3,495
Does it have to be optical? My first thought is a Raspberry Pi with suitable software.
No, actually USB will be an option as well.Looking at Allo Usbridge and other ones now. Thanks.

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #3,455 of 3,495
I've been looking for a good iTunes alternative primarily for DSD support and automatic sample rate switching. So far JRiver appears to be the best one. I've tried Amarra (converted my DSD into PCM instead of playing it DoP), Audirvana+ (had some sort of weird issue where it didn't play certain tracks gaplessly) and Swinsian. I've purchased Bitperfect but I'm unsure if the DSD Master addon required to play DSD files will actually allow me to access my .dsf files in a library interface, and if it will directly stream DoP to my DAC. Anything else I should consider before I go purchase Jriver? The library organization does leave something to be desired so my options are open.

Aug 1, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #3,456 of 3,495
I've been looking for a good iTunes alternative primarily for DSD support and automatic sample rate switching. So far JRiver appears to be the best one. I've tried Amarra (converted my DSD into PCM instead of playing it DoP), Audirvana+ (had some sort of weird issue where it didn't play certain tracks gaplessly) and Swinsian. I've purchased Bitperfect but I'm unsure if the DSD Master addon required to play DSD files will actually allow me to access my .dsf files in a library interface, and if it will directly stream DoP to my DAC. Anything else I should consider before I go purchase Jriver? The library organization does leave something to be desired so my options are open.

Yeah, Roon. Game-set-match the best player I've used!

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #3,458 of 3,495
I don’t know how I feel about dropping $500 for a player with lots of features I’m not going to use.

I love it....the features are outstanding and the album artwork/information take me back to my old vinyl days. Plus it is the quickest player around and doesn't slow down with my 1400+ albums loaded into it. Plus there is a free 14 day trial...I strongly suggest you give it a try. I came from Audirvana and Amarra and wasted $200 there before I switched to Roon.

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #3,459 of 3,495
I love it....the features are outstanding and the album artwork/information take me back to my old vinyl days. Plus it is the quickest player around and doesn't slow down with my 1400+ albums loaded into it. Plus there is a free 14 day trial...I strongly suggest you give it a try. I came from Audirvana and Amarra and wasted $200 there before I switched to Roon.
I really have no need for all the extra artist/album information, I pretty much know what I need to know about what I’m listening to. And I’m never going to touch any of the streaming or server stuff. It’s kinda redundant for my uses. I just want a library that plays all my song formats without issue, not much more.

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #3,460 of 3,495
I really have no need for all the extra artist/album information, I pretty much know what I need to know about what I’m listening to. And I’m never going to touch any of the streaming or server stuff. It’s kinda redundant for my uses. I just want a library that plays all my song formats without issue, not much more.

Try to help someone....lol.

Roon will be the best player with the least issues of all the players (I've never had any actually). You don't always get what you pay for, but with Roon, you really do.

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #3,461 of 3,495
Try to help someone....lol.

Roon will be the best player with the least issues of all the players (I've never had any actually). You don't always get what you pay for, but with Roon, you really do.
I mean, I’m sure it’s a great player. I just don’t know if it’s worth the hefty asking price if I’m not touching most of the functionality.

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #3,462 of 3,495
I mean, I’m sure it’s a great player. I just don’t know if it’s worth the hefty asking price if I’m not touching most of the functionality.

That's why there's a 14 day free trial. :wink:

Aug 3, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #3,463 of 3,495
Then jriver is your player.

Aug 19, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #3,465 of 3,495

if you use tidal or qobuz, then the roon radio functionality makes it worth it alone. roon radio kicks in when you're queue is empty and starts playing music that's similar that it thinks you'll like -- both in your library and what's available in roon and qobuz. i'm discovered so much amazing much that i never would have known about otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back