M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Apr 10, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #946 of 1,653
Hmm well it is all subjective so I cannot really argue with what you are saying... Personally I think compared to other headphones the soundstage is small to me... Maybe not a bad thing if you like a small soundstage... But I mean go and try some HD650 or something and you will see what I mean by small soundstage. Probably because the pads are thin and the drivers are right next to your ears... I can conclusively say that they do not have a large soundstage but everyone hears / interprets things differently....

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #947 of 1,653
Q40 do not have large soundstage, I'd put it just slightly below or about average for a closed headphone but that doesn't stop me from loving them as they do really well in other aspects. They have roughly the frequency balance I like with about 8dB or so measured boost centered roughly around 80Hz with otherwise pretty neutral mids and highs throughout (starts to roll-off after 14kHz though so it's not very airy). There's like no audible whatsoever resonances throughout the mids and highs and the bass response is really of good quality for the amount it packs, very well textured.

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #948 of 1,653
Quote:
But I mean go and try some HD650 or something and you will see what I mean by small soundstage. 

I did try them, wonderful headphones no doubt, but I felt that my DT990 had a wider soundstage and instrument separation. In any case, differences in soudstage between headphones are imho grossly overemphasized on this forum. If I want to marvel at  the soundstage aspects of a record, I will do so with my speakers. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #949 of 1,653
I do find that soundstage and imaging make a big difference to the overall sound quality. I think I just need to accept that I am going to have to buy some high end headphones such as LCD2 or something before I am fully satisfied lol.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #950 of 1,653
I've been using my Q40's for around a week now and I am looking to buy some pads, and the Hifiman being so cheap it will probably land on them. What's the biggest difference in the sound compared to DT770?  

Is there any other mod that I should "investigate" in? 

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #951 of 1,653
Quote:
I've been using my Q40's for around a week now and I am looking to buy some pads, and the Hifiman being so cheap it will probably land on them. What's the biggest difference in the sound compared to DT770?  

Have you tried any 'spacer' under the pads yet?  That is something you can do and change quickly, depending on how the sound changes to your ear.  I do the rope fully under, I've seen some mouse pads (rubber 1/4" thick) used, some just under the back to make them like angled pads.  Keep playing.  The pad thing is the biggie tho - I tried the velour pads.  Loved the feel but the sound changed too much so I'm hoping my Beyer gel pads get here as they are leather-like and shouldn't impact the bass negatively while adding comfort. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #952 of 1,653
Quote:
Have you tried any 'spacer' under the pads yet?  That is something you can do and change quickly, depending on how the sound changes to your ear.  I do the rope fully under, I've seen some mouse pads (rubber 1/4" thick) used, some just under the back to make them like angled pads.  Keep playing.  The pad thing is the biggie tho - I tried the velour pads.  Loved the feel but the sound changed too much so I'm hoping my Beyer gel pads get here as they are leather-like and shouldn't impact the bass negatively while adding comfort. 

I haven't tried any "spacer" yet, I will try something tonight. I think I saw papertowels also? :) 

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #953 of 1,653
Quote:
I haven't tried any "spacer" yet, I will try something tonight. I think I saw papertowels also? :) 

Yep, that's RPG's secret weapon.  The key is whatever works I guess.  I like tinkering - trying different thicknesses and things has gotten me to the point these are sounding better than ever.  Next up is an angle pad test....................

Pretty good headphones for around $100, huh?

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #954 of 1,653
Quote:
Yep, that's RPG's secret weapon.  The key is whatever works I guess.  I like tinkering - trying different thicknesses and things has gotten me to the point these are sounding better than ever.  Next up is an angle pad test....................

Pretty good headphones for around $100, huh?

Got mine for about $60 so I am super pleased. :) I will try something with the thickness. Is it just for comfortable issues or does it affect the sound a lot too?

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #955 of 1,653
Quote:
Got mine for about $60 so I am super pleased. :) I will try something with the thickness. Is it just for comfortable issues or does it affect the sound a lot too?

Mostly sound.  Some have problems with ears touching the drivers due to lack of depth on the stock pads.  I don't but I like the feeling with the rope under the pad as well as the sound. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #956 of 1,653
Quote:

The diiference is that the mids get more forward, the soundstage a bit bigger and the midbass a bit less with the Hifiman pads (compared to beyer pads). To me the mids are to recessed with the beyer pads, With the Hifiman velour pads i rank these very highly.

If you find the bass too bloated (like I did) you can always put damping inside the cups. There's no damping at all inside the cup on the stock version. Either just cotton/fiber glass inside the cup or dynamat or similar sticked to the cups. I would suggest that you decide on and try out new pads first though. 

Från en svensk till en annan
beerchug.gif

Edit: Did you find them new for $60? If so where?

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #957 of 1,653
I tend to use felt under pads. Or in cases where I'm just experimenting with depth, some rolled up gauze works well.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #958 of 1,653
Quote:
The diiference is that the mids get more forward, the soundstage a bit bigger and the midbass a bit less with the Hifiman pads (compared to beyer pads). To me the mids are to recessed with the beyer pads, With the Hifiman velour pads i rank these very highly.

If you find the bass too bloated (like I did) you can always put damping inside the cups. There's no damping at all inside the cup on the stock version. Either just cotton/fiber glass inside the cup or dynamat or similar sticked to the cups. I would suggest that you decide on and try out new pads first though. 

beerchug.gif

Thanks for the response, I will probably order one velour pair later this evening. How was the shipping time? 

How hard is it to apply dynamat? Quite the noob over here. 

Actually my friend bought them from Webhallen(690 sek) two weeks ago and weren't pleased with them at all, so I picked them up from him for 400 sek. :)

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #959 of 1,653

beerchug.gif

So Beyer told me today the gel pads are NOT going to be sent. What other non-velours fit on these Q-40's? Part numbers if you can please.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #960 of 1,653
Quote:
Thanks for the response, I will probably order one velour pair later this evening. How was the shipping time? 

How hard is it to apply dynamat? Quite the noob over here. 

Actually my friend bought them from Webhallen(690 sek) two weeks ago and weren't pleased with them at all, so I picked them up from him for 400 sek. :)

Sounds like a great deal. Even the original price is good. Maybe I need to pick up another pair
darthsmile.gif

I ordered my pads from here:

https://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=117

They ship with DHL and they arrived in 3-4 days the first time. The second time was a little over one week (but that was around easter).

The dyamat is sticky on one side so its just to take a scissor and cut out the right size, remove the protection paper under it an apply. It's very easy, the heardest for me was to find the dynamat but I managed to get it at a car audio shop.

If you decide to do this and get in to trouble just PM me and I'll guide you through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back