M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Apr 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #976 of 1,653
Quote:
Just saw that the V-Moda Audio Only cable is apparently 6 feet, which should do. Just want something shorter than stock cable as I only use them on my PC so even 1 meter would be long enough. 

I use the fisual s-flex mini cable with my Q40. Fits like a glove, available in 1, 2, 3 meters. I got it from amazon uk.

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #980 of 1,653
Quote:
These Q40's have me spoiled.  

I hear you. These are really among my favourite cans
gs1000.gif

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #981 of 1,653
Quote:
I hear you. These are really among my favourite cans
gs1000.gif

Ditto................and I feel they compare to Denon D2000's with MarkL mods.  M-Audio did good. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #982 of 1,653
Well every headphone has its cons and pros but Q40 do a lot of good for the price for some1 who's looking for a serious amount of boosted bass.

Pros:

- Extremely good quantity vs quality bass output ratio for the price (unbeatable)
- No excessive or very low midrange and highs ringing / resonances throughout the entire range, especially the often troublesome upper-midrange is very well controlled and female vocals and acoustic guitars etc remain very clear & crisp. Lows has a bit higher amount resonances like every headphone but nothing too bad but concidering there's no dampening in the back that's to be expected but honestly I don't want it damped, for me it's just right, too "dry" bass output is also boring for me.
- Good tonality, balanced midrange vs highrange, no excessive dips or peaks (slight peak around 9kHz which settles in with burn in or can be padmodded to be solved). 
- Very engaging forward presentation; for people who prefer that up-front sound
- Responds well to amping; more dynamic sound, more forward and fullbodied midrange, better bass.

Cons:

- Build quality not the best but acceptable
- Clamping a bit higher than average; can be either good or bad depending on person (I personally like the clamping and haven't had any issues with it, I've worn it for hours a day since I got it without needing of stretching etc). I'm using the stock pads with papertowel inserts behind the pads, the stock pads are shallow but works well with the tight clamping. For example with Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro the more compact pads caused wearing fatigue for me, these don't (worth pointing out that the stiffness of the pads are always extremely important, stock ones are shallow but quite soft still)
- Soundstage size is about average/slightly below average for a closed headphone
- About average imaging, the positional cues aren't always superclear but most of the time they are there (I recommend using my custom foobar2000 dolby headphone config and that issue is a thing of past with any headphone).
- Highs extension not the best, so it lacks a bit "airiness" if you're into that
- A bit of smearing and hollowness in the midrange unless amped properly

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #984 of 1,653
Quote:
Are the HiFiMan velours better than the Beyer ones? What is different about them?

The HiFiMan velours are much thicker (deeper) which to my ears result in better soundstage and less recessed mids.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #986 of 1,653
Quote:
Are the pads softer / more comfortable than the Beyer ones?

No, they're harder (more filling) and not so soft in the velour itself either. They're still pretty comfotable though but the beyr pads are even more comfortable. I think the superior sound with the HiFiMan pads make them the better choice. This will depend on what sound you prefer. If I hadn't tried the beyer pads I'd be very pleased with the comfort of the HiFiMan pads (I still am but the beyer pads are just even better in comfort).

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #987 of 1,653
I don't have the Shure 840 pads but I tried the 440 pads on my Q40 and it was disastrous. The cups are bigger on the Q40 so the pads had to stretch quite a bit to fit. I thought the 440 and 840 pads were interchangeable so I'm not sure why the 840 pads would be loose on the Q40. The sound also changed pretty dramatically.

The overall sound signature was more forward and engaging. The midbass was a bit boomier but subbass seemed to decrease in comparison. Mids were much more forward and the treble was much sparklier as well. However, this was at the expense of midrange clarity, especially in the lower mids where voices and instruments seemed to blend into one another. Worst of all, the upper mids became honky due to a resonance peak, which I couldn't stand. Isolation seemed worse than the stock pads as well.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #988 of 1,653
Quote:
No, they're harder (more filling) and not so soft in the velour itself either. They're still pretty comfotable though but the beyr pads are even more comfortable. I think the superior sound with the HiFiMan pads make them the better choice. This will depend on what sound you prefer. If I hadn't tried the beyer pads I'd be very pleased with the comfort of the HiFiMan pads (I still am but the beyer pads are just even better in comfort).

Ah OK. Just gonna stick to the Beyer pads for now I think and if they ever need replacing, I'll try the HiFiMan ones. Also, I assume on my Xonar DG I should set the gain to the highest possible when using my Q40s?

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #989 of 1,653
Quote:
Ah OK. Just gonna stick to the Beyer pads for now I think and if they ever need replacing, I'll try the HiFiMan ones. Also, I assume on my Xonar DG I should set the gain to the highest possible when using my Q40s?

Has anyone tried the HIFiMan LEATHER pads on the Q40 yet?  The Beyer velour are uber-comfy but killed the bass for me anyway.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #990 of 1,653
Quote:
I've now tried these with the following pads:

Hifiman velour
Shure SH840
Hifiman leather
Beyer DT770 
Brainwavz HM5/FA-003

I like them in the order they're listed but it's very close between the Hifiman velours (better midrange) and the Shure 840's (a little more bass impact).

The Hifiman leathers are also ok while the HM5 pads are great in comfort but  don't sound good enough. I also fin the beyer pads to be very comfortable but for me the mids get to recessed with them.

Edit; Forgot to mention the beyer pads so I've updated the post.

Quote:

Has anyone tried the HIFiMan LEATHER pads on the Q40 yet?  The Beyer velour are uber-comfy but killed the bass for me anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back