M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Apr 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #961 of 1,653
Quote:
So Beyer told me today the gel pads are NOT going to be sent. What other non-velours fit on these Q-40's? Part numbers if you can please.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to you're impressions with these. Are they discontinued?

Have you tried the Hifiman leather pads?

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #962 of 1,653
Quote:
Sounds like a great deal. Even the original price is good. Maybe I need to pick up another pair
darthsmile.gif

I ordered my pads from here:

https://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=117

They ship with DHL and they arrived in 3-4 days the first time. The second time was a little over one week (but that was around easter).

The dyamat is sticky on one side so its just to take a scissor and cut out the right size, remove the protection paper under it an apply. It's very easy, the heardest for me was to find the dynamat but I managed to get it at a car audio shop.

If you decide to do this and get in to trouble just PM me and I'll guide you through it.

Is this cheap? http://www.brl.se/sv/artiklar/xtreme-door.html

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #963 of 1,653
Quote:

It's much
wink_face.gif

I found a package with two sheets that's around 30 x 30 cm each. I paid NOK 200 for it here. It will be enough for all the headphones I got (and ever will get). You will just need like a 5-7 cm in diameter peace per cup.

Try to find a smaller package.

Edit: This is the package I got. Good price also:

http://www.backesljud.se/tillbehor-bilstereo-1/dampmaterial/dynamat-xtreme-speaker-kit/

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #964 of 1,653
Too bad, I was really looking forward to you're impressions with these. Are they discontinued?

Have you tried the Hifiman leather pads?

Yes, they say they are discontinued which is hard to believe.

I have not tried Hifi pads. Really didn't think about them or more accurately, know they would be an alternative. Do you know the part number or is it just the only leather pad they make?

Any other leather pads to consider? Shure?

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #965 of 1,653
Quote:

I have not tried Hifi pads. Really didn't think about them or more accurately, know they would be an alternative. Do you know the part number or is it just the only leather pad they make?

I think I read somewhere else that they were to be discontinued.

Of course I should have mentioned the Shure SH840 pads. I think they're better sounding then the Hifiman leather pads. The problem with the Shure's is that the fit is pretty loose. The only pair I've got of these are used on my Fostex t50rp so they're a bit wided out from them. I've ordered a new pair to try out on the Q40's. If they fit just a little bit better I think that's the best solution if you don't care for velour.

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #966 of 1,653
I'm going to get these back (Sold them to my brother and he doesn't use them a lot). Anyone help me out with where to buy Hifiman velours in the UK / to be delivered to UK? Also looking for a 3.5mm cable that is braided / nylon (Basically want a better / higher quality cable that fits the Q40s)

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #967 of 1,653
Quote:
I'm going to get these back (Sold them to my brother and he doesn't use them a lot). Anyone help me out with where to buy Hifiman velours in the UK / to be delivered to UK? Also looking for a 3.5mm cable that is braided / nylon (Basically want a better / higher quality cable that fits the Q40s)

V-moda cable for M-100

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #969 of 1,653
Quote:

Head-Direct ships the velour pads to Europe and V-moda ships the the cables to Europe. Shipping is pretty cheap with both of them.

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #970 of 1,653
Ah I see. I think one of the reasons I may have been getting jaw pain from the Q40s was simply because I didn't wear them long enough to stretch out. I also haven't had an actual pair of headphones for years. I take it they loosen up over time?

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #971 of 1,653
They do stretch over time. You can also speed up the process by putting them on a smaller speaker, ball, books or something else over the night. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #973 of 1,653
Quote:
Hmm, I need a shorter cable that will fit the Q40s, need one around 1.5 meters.

Monoprice 8323 DJ headphones bundled shorter cable had been perfect then, I use that one myself, it's exactly 1.5 meters AFAIK. The cable itself is very thin though like IEM cables.

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #974 of 1,653
Quote:

Got my new pair of the the SH840 pads and the fit is great with them.

I've to say I prefer the sound with the Hifiman velours though (much better soundstage and midrange),

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #975 of 1,653
Quote:

Monoprice 8323 DJ headphones bundled shorter cable had been perfect then, I use that one myself, it's exactly 1.5 meters AFAIK. The cable itself is very thin though like IEM cables.

Just saw that the V-Moda Audio Only cable is apparently 6 feet, which should do. Just want something shorter than stock cable as I only use them on my PC so even 1 meter would be long enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back