M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Jan 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #827 of 1,653
It's part of the design, it's the whole driver itself which is moving around as somehow it's designed so it can move a little around in the housing, the circular driver housing "cage" is a little bigger than the driver itself. I can hear the same thing when having it on my head and nodding quickly in a particular way (it's not that easy to make it heard and you need to lean backwards a bit with your head when doing it).

If you remove the pads you will see this when shaking it around.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #828 of 1,653
Yeah, I thought so it was just that I couldn't remember if it was like that when I first used it. Anyways, anyone got any ideas where I can get a higher quality 1-2M cable for these in the UK/EU?

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #829 of 1,653
Quote:
Yeah, I thought so it was just that I couldn't remember if it was like that when I first used it. Anyways, anyone got any ideas where I can get a higher quality 1-2M cable for these in the UK/EU?

Most cables that have a thin jack will work.
I know RPG uses the thin cable that comes with the Monoprice 8323s
I use the V-Moda audio only cable.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #831 of 1,653
Yea the V-Moda cables fits nicely and look cool but I don't like kevlar inforced cables and I actually thought that cable muted highs by ~1dB, not much but yea it's like the same amount as moving the slider on the EQ of a realtek onboard chip one step and I didn't like that, got too warm/smooth. With the Monoprice cable I got a bit better clarity and less smeared sound.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #833 of 1,653
Quote:
Yea the V-Moda cables fits nicely and look cool but I don't like kevlar inforced cables and I actually thought that cable muted highs by ~1dB, not much but yea it's like the same amount as moving the slider on the EQ of a realtek onboard chip one step and I didn't like that, got too warm/smooth. With the Monoprice cable I got a bit better clarity and less smeared sound.

Would you mind posting a link to the Monoprice cables you're talking about? I see a lot of them.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #834 of 1,653
Quote:
Would you mind posting a link to the Monoprice cables you're talking about? I see a lot of them.

Don't know if it's separately purchasable, I put up a "WTB Monoprice 8323 DJ bundled cable" in the buy/sell section.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #839 of 1,653
Quote:
Apologies if this has been asked before - how do these compare sonically to the ATH-M50?

Noticably bassier (punchier, more slamming) but good control and texture for the quantity it packs. A bit more forward midrange, pretty neutral while M50 (bassheavy versions tends to be a bit recessed) and the highs are slightly less forward (about neutral if M50 has a slight emphasis but the Q40 needs to be burned in too or there is some slight 9kHz spike out of box) but the exension is so-so, not the very best, M50 probably has better extension in the highs, the Q40 already starts drop of somewhere after 14kHz so they aren't exactly "airy" sounding in the highs by any means. Soundstage is by no means large on the Q40 because they sit so close to the ear, possibly slightly better than M50 but my memory isn't so good so I can accurately comment on that. The stock pads on Q40 can easily be modded so they become deeper so your ears won't touch the driver protective foam and it'll also help with soundstage & imaging by deepening the pads by stuffing for example paper towels underneath the pad (however only a very thin layer should be added or the mids become recessed sounding).

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #840 of 1,653
Apologies if this has been asked before - how do these compare sonically to the ATH-M50?

My comparison here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/512762/review-comparison-shure-srh-840-audio-technica-ath-m50-m-audio-studiophile-q40-pioneer-hdj-2000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back