M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Dec 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #796 of 1,653
I'm also curious if anyone has seen this mod someone posted elsewhere: (from http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?t=msg&th=12&goto=237866&) Has anyone else tried this?

"Well, the Q40's still alive and well. I decided to try a little mod tonight. See, the Q40's driver is surrounded by a foam ring that's glued to the driver:

350x263px-LL-8136ad3c_IMG_0780-2.jpeg

On paper, it's supposed to increase bass response. This foam ring around the driver is covered by yet another layer of foam, instead of the thin cloth that other other headphones use.
Anyway, I decided to experiment and removed the foam ring entirely. I also removed the extra layer of foam, leaving me with exposed drivers protected by the metal cover in the cover. I decided to continue using the DT770 velour pads. The mod is non-reversible btw.

When I settled down to listen to them, I just went "OMG". I had a friend who was into headphones visiting, and both of us were shocked at how much the sound changed. The soundstage was so much wider, and the mids became more forward while the bass didn't seem to be affected much. The best part was it sounded like a veil was lifted from the headphone's stock sound. Everything was so much clearer. I'd describe it as an HD598 with better clarity in the mids and more bass, or an HD25-1 (copper cables) with much wider soundstage. The bass was still plenty responsive, and to make it sound to my liking I've been EQ'ing it down, around -3 on Rockbox. Right now I'm unsure of where to put it in my headphone hierarchy but it's definitely up there with my favorites. Before the mod, it was collecting dust
icon_razz.gif

Edit: In order to clarify my point on how different they sound from stock, they sound great with rock music now
icon_razz.gif
Even better with 80s metal. I know it sounds hard to believe, so I'll just bring them to the next meet.

stefanolandesca had them for the past month or so. Much thanks for making them look presentable again
icon_smile.gif
"

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #802 of 1,653
I've had these headphones for a day now and have had quite an extensive amount of time using them so I waned to throw my impressions in for anyone who is considering these.

Let me just get this out of the way first..

HOLY S**T, MOTHER OF GOD, I MEAN... WHAT THE? HOW DID THEY? WOW!

These headphones are what I've been trying to find for a long, long time. Ill start with the bass as others did. The bass is absolutely phenomenal, outstanding, incredible. There is lots and lots of it but its more about quality/quantity ratio which M Audio have absolutely nailed. With an E11 on the second bass settings the mid bass has got a real big punch but its really tight and you can crank up the volume with no degradation. The sub bass goes really low but again, it's extremely well controlled with no muddiness or slowness. The bass on these with Techno or House will grab you by the scruff of your neck and proclaim "IM HERE!" It's so well done I had a really big smile on my face going through some of my Techno and House tracks.

They're 100% bass head cans but what was really nice also is the mids and treble. The treble is not as harsh as the DT770 Pro for example but its there and the mids also are nice and warm and they sit up front when there supposed to while the bass so politely takes a seat.

There not as comfortable as the DT770 Pro either but that's a completely acceptable trade of considering the way they absolutely trounce them in the bass department in every way. If you want bass cans, please, please make these a top consideration with an E11. There's no way you need more bass than this which it handles so well. Anymore and it would just ruin the headphones. the best thing is, these are on sale for £59 with next day delivery and that is an absolutely steal.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #806 of 1,653
I've also tried both M-Audio Q40 and DT770 Pro 80 and for me the Q40 is better because it fits my sonical tastes better but there's advantages on both sides depending on your taste:

DT770 Pro:

- Bigger soundstage & better separation
- Slightly deeper bass extension (like Q40 isn't deep to begin with lol)
- Very subbass skewed, barely any midbass boost (soft & rumbly)
- Slightly emphasized highs 
- Frequency response balance: V-shape

Q40:

- More forward midrange and in general more "up-front" sound which to me is more engaging to listen to (I don't like a "distant" sound)
- Balanced midbass vs subbass presence (punchy & rumbly) 
- Reasonably neutral highs but a bit lack of extension/"air" up top
- Frequency response balance: ^--  -shape

Both show microdetails about as well, the Q40 vs DT770 would fare better in genres such as jazz, pop due to the more forward midrange and nice acoustic instrument & female vocal performance especially. The DT770 Pro would fare better with Classical music especially due to its soundstage abilities and better highs extension.

I prefer Q40 because I hate V-shape sound and for me the bass was too subbass skewed on DT770 (I like it punchy & rumbly not just rumbly) and well the up-front sound fits me better, I've never liked a distant sound like DT770 kinda has due to the recessed midrange. It creates a large soundstage but it doesn't engage me in the music, I feel left out! But I won't say Q40 is better than DT770 Pro, it depends on your taste & priorities as it often does in this hobby. If soundstage & separation is more important then DT770 has a clear advantage there.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #807 of 1,653
I ordered the Q40s, too good of a deal (Got them for £59, less than half the price of the 770s). I rarely listen to jazz, classical etc. mainly dance, dubstep, trance, techno, rap, R&B and rock/pop here and there.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #808 of 1,653
Quote:
I ordered the Q40s, too good of a deal (Got them for £59, less than half the price of the 770s). I rarely listen to jazz, classical etc. mainly dance, dubstep, trance, techno, rap, R&B and rock/pop here and there.

Neither do I listen to jazz but the sound signature fits quite a lot with the intimate sound signature with forward female vocals, up-front sound and good acoustic instrument performance for a bassheavy headphone. I listen mostly to hardstyle these days. ^^ I love the Q40 for EDM.

Do note the Q40 needs some amping or the midrange sounds a bit more hollow than it should be. In my ears it changes the sound signature a bit when amped, much fuller and more present and thicker midrange is the biggest difference I notice and more dynamic sounding, the same thing was noticed with 3 different amps (so it's not an amp exclusively added sound signature). I wouldn't be that satisfied ampless but I really like the sound of it when amped because a fullbodied midrange is important for me to enjoy the sound. It's the headphone I've tested that benefitted the most by amping along with BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro perhaps.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #809 of 1,653
Quote:

Neither do I listen to jazz but the sound signature fits quite a lot with the intimate sound signature with forward female vocals, up-front sound and good acoustic instrument performance for a bassheavy headphone. I listen mostly to hardstyle these days. ^^ I love the Q40 for EDM.

Yeah, I tend to listen to a lot of high BPM music ^^ Was no contest for me; £59 for Q40s or £139 for DT770 Pros.

EDIT: Would a Xonar DG soundcard suffice for amping them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back