M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Jan 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #856 of 1,653
Quote:
And if you don't mind the clamp even after stretching the headband.

The clamping is actually a plus for me, feels so secure on my head and I need the headphone to be totally headbanging-proof. :D I haven't stretched mine but I haven't had any issues with the clamping at all. I wear this headphone for 5-6 hrs or so straight pretty often (I don't bother taking it off when not listening to music).

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #857 of 1,653
Quote:

The clamping is actually a plus for me, feels so secure on my head and I need the headphone to be totally headbanging-proof. :D I haven't stretched mine but I haven't had any issues with the clamping at all. I wear this headphone for 5-6 hrs or so straight pretty often (I don't bother taking it off when not listening to music).

Lucky for some I guess, give me annoying jaw pain after 15-20 minutes even with the Beyerdynamic velours.

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #859 of 1,653
Quote:
Lucky for some I guess, give me annoying jaw pain after 15-20 minutes even with the Beyerdynamic velours.

Maybe it IT IS the beyer pads, did you try the stock pads too? I remember having problems with that with DT770 Pro, I think the Beyer velour pads actually felt quite stiff from my memory which caused that issue. I'm using the stock pads myself with slightly deepened / stuffed pads to increase fit and improve soundstage (but the layer has to be very thin or mids become recessed sounding).

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #860 of 1,653

I'm the same - serious jaw pain and headaches. I even stretched mine as far as possible to alleviate it, but I still find them torturous after a very short time (stock pads). I don't have a particularly large head either - I'm pretty normal sized. I loved them when I first got them (about 4/5 years ago?), bass was deep and powerful, mids and highs recessed somewhat. The cable was extremely poor quality and broke very quickly, to be replaced with a... I actually can't remember - maybe it was a Senn cable? Whatever it was, it was very sturdy and has lasted the whole time.
But enough is enough, I wear them for hours at a time (studio work) and my brain aches. I feel these are more suited to on the move tbh

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #861 of 1,653
I'm thinking of selling my pair. I love them but I'd like to try something else (new) and I'd need the cash from a sale in order to do that. Just thinking out loud. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #862 of 1,653
Just ordered, I couldn't resist at this price, certainly worth a punt.

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #863 of 1,653
Quote:
Just ordered, I couldn't resist at this price, certainly worth a punt.

Where do you pick it up for that price? I would be interested in ordering a backup pair possibly for such low price. :p

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #865 of 1,653
I got a pair for £59 shipped. These must be the absolute best value headphones in the UK at the moment.

They have almost the exact sound signature I was looking for! I much prefer them to my M50 for jazz and classical...With jazz especially, they render acoustic double bass beautifully, while I love how cellos sound in classical records.

Now if I could only reduce a bit the bass: is there a fix apart from equalising? I find that on recordings where the bass is already heavy from the mastering stage (ambient, electronica) with these headphones it becomes bloated - frankly a bit too much.

Any ideas?

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #866 of 1,653
Quote:

Where do you pick it up for that price? I would be interested in ordering a backup pair possibly for such low price. :p

Amazon UK.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #867 of 1,653
OK, seems to be £20 shipping to Finland from that seller so about the same I paid then in Finland.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #868 of 1,653
I actually ordered from ebay seller music-matter, same price as amazon but free 24hr shipping.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #869 of 1,653
The left speaker has blown on mine already and I've only had them since the 2nd January. Really pissed off that they have broke so quick. Does anyone known where you have to send them off to if you live in the UK?

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #870 of 1,653
I just got mine this afternoon, and I'm very impressed for the price, I used to think the HFI-580 was the best bang for buck in head-fi, but these are now the best value in Head-fi IMHO. ^^^^ Shame about the QC issues though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back