M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Feb 3, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #106 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkomang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody know where I could buy replacement cables for this headphone?

I doubt you'll be able to find one. It is a DIY project or you can post a help on the DIY board or on the FS board.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #108 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will try this out and get back to you.

Great, thank you. I love this community!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #109 of 1,653
I'm actively looking for a replacement to my Sony D66 Eggos that are showing their age, and from your description of the Q40's, warrior05, they sound like possible candidates.

What do you think? Am I way off base? Here is my original request thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/loo...y-pass-273855/

I'd be interested in what you and others think, but from what I've read so far, the Q40's definitely seem a likely replacement for my D66's when they give up the ghost. I'd also like to know where these 'phones might be available for purchase, if they end up in my budget.

Many thanks for any and all replies --
--
Ocelot
(now listening to Psychonavigator by Ibizarre, from Ibiza Chillout Vol. 1, CD 1)

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #110 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkomang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, do you know where i could find the screw in plugs or the other parts required for this cable?

I received the Ultrasone's replacement screw in plug i ordered from Qables. They're almost similar (though not exactly the same) to the Q40s plug and they fit just fine into the Q40s jack.

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #111 of 1,653
Well it looks like they dont carry the Q40 in stock. So I would have to order it sight unseen
frown.gif
. So it appears that the price of the Q40 and DT770 are on par and I wouldnt be able to hear either before a potential purchase.

I was doing some reading on these forums about the DT990's and I seem to be finding a suprising number of people that prefer the DT770 and DT880's over the 990's. Many of the people mention that the 990's just dont have the impact of the others espcially the 770's.

To be honest I was really dissapointed with the ammount of hit I was getting with my MS 1's. Comparing them to my porta pros, I seem to get more clarity, and better voice production at the cost of bass. I would only rate the MS 1 marginally better, I was definatly not the step up I was looking for. I want that same wow factor I had when I bought my porta pros, which were my first real headphone.

I just dont want to be in the same position again after I put down more money.

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #113 of 1,653
Haha, of what impact them and you are speaking? it's better overall than them two. The DT990 Ed 2005 is as a fusion between the DT770pro and DT880 In My Honest Opinion. It has the impact (a little bit more than the DT770pro/80 (specially midbass and high bass. It lose only in the deepbass department but not for much...) and more and better bass/mids/highs that it last; In My Honest Opinion) and is better overall and the sound isn't boring/thin as the DT880 (even (well i believe) the 2005 ed didn't have enough bass impact for some music (or alot)). Please don't leave to fool for others...
Quote:

Originally Posted by starvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it looks like they dont carry the Q40 in stock. So I would have to order it sight unseen
frown.gif
. So it appears that the price of the Q40 and DT770 are on par and I wouldnt be able to hear either before a potential purchase.

I was doing some reading on these forums about the DT990's and I seem to be finding a suprising number of people that prefer the DT770 and DT880's over the 990's. Many of the people mention that the 990's just dont have the impact of the others espcially the 770's.

To be honest I was really dissapointed with the ammount of hit I was getting with my MS 1's. Comparing them to my porta pros, I seem to get more clarity, and better voice production at the cost of bass. I would only rate the MS 1 marginally better, I was definatly not the step up I was looking for. I want that same wow factor I had when I bought my porta pros, which were my first real headphone.

I just dont want to be in the same position again after I put down more money.

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #114 of 1,653
So, do the Q40's hit as hard as the DT770 80 ohm in the bass department. I get the impression they could be superior in the mids and highs. I often hear the 770 desciribed as a fun headphone, could the same be said for the Q40?

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #115 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ounkchicago, when do you think you'll be ready with the shootout?

I'll do a shootout of AKG K240 Studio / EA RP-21 / M-Audio Q40 within the next two weeks. Sorry I cannot be more specific, but have been busy at work. I also need at least 2 days to do the listening because I want to do one group of low-fi comparisons and one group of hi-fi comparisons.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #116 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by starvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, do the Q40's hit as hard as the DT770 80 ohm in the bass department. I get the impression they could be superior in the mids and highs. I often hear the 770 desciribed as a fun headphone, could the same be said for the Q40?

I have not listened to the DT770 but the Q40 is not a fun headphone. To my ears, they are flat and analytical, similar to the way studio monitors are voiced.

If you were to search for something fun in the Q40, it would have to be the big bass.. it's very good -- impactful and tight, without being bloated or boomy.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #117 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marximus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$115? $120? Where? I haven't found 'em for less than $140.

As of this post, they can be purchased at Abes of Maine for $129.99 minus a $10 coupon (i think the coupon code is LOYALTY10). Mine took about a week to ship out, plus the shipping time, for a total of about 10 days to arrive to my house.

Feb 11, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #120 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
warrior05...do you happen to have a set of pleathers lying around that you could compare the velours to? I'm hesitant to drop more money on velours on the chance they'll sound closer to stock than to the Beyer pleathers...I know we all hear things differently, but if you don't detect a difference between the pleathers and velours, then I'll know the latter probably aren't for me.

I will try this out and get back to you.

Any updates on this, kind sir?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back