M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Jan 31, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #91 of 1,653
ounkchicago, when do you think you'll be ready with the shootout?

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #92 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had an idea. Since the Q40s remind me of my DT990s, I thought I would try my spare set of Beyer black velour earpads on them. First off, they are now even more comfy. With the velour pads these headphones are very comfortable indeed. It also seems to have brought out greater detail in the highs but not annoyingly so. I remember how when I tried velour pads on my RP-21s it virtually destroyed the bass and just made an otherwise nice sounding headphone sound like poo. But with the Q40s, the bass I talked about is still there but the highs have come out a bit more. I think I have a winning combination!
biggrin.gif

With further use, I'm really enjoying the sound coming out of my Q40s, but the stock earpads are a bit too shallow for sustained comfort with my ears. My Beyer pleather pads alleviated the comfort issue, but they also negatively impacted the sound signature by slightly hollowing out the mids. With the Beyers on, I got the subtle sensation of listening through a tube; the appealing immediacy of the sound was gone. If I had never heard the Q40s stock I probably wouldn't have minded, but switching back and forth between pads, I couldn't get used to the difference. I know you think very highly of the Beyer velour and Q40 combination, warrior05...do you happen to have a set of pleathers lying around that you could compare the velours to? I'm hesitant to drop more money on velours on the chance they'll sound closer to stock than to the Beyer pleathers...I know we all hear things differently, but if you don't detect a difference between the pleathers and velours, then I'll know the latter probably aren't for me.

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #93 of 1,653
I am sure glad I found this forum posting. I recently started my foray into the hi-fi ish headphones. I just got a pair of allesandro MS 1's, and while I have found them to be quite detailed and good at reporducing voices, they simply do not have the base impact I was looking for. I like that "live" sound to my music. I listen to a variety of genres, Classic Rock, Metal, Jazz, Blues, but I am mostly looking at a phone that can give my heavier music the impact im seeking. Up until I stumbled on this headphone I was seriouly considering the DT770's. These seemed to be the unanimous basshead headphone on these forums. Ideally I would like to listen to the next headphone I'm considering before I put down the money, however there is not a retailer of Beyers in my area. The biggest retailer of higher quality headphones in my area seems to be axe music (Calgary, Canada).

I guess my question is, would the Q40's satify my thirst for more bass impact? Is the bass comparable to that of the DT770? Another possiblity is the AKG 181/81's, which from my understanding is a good phone, but not in same league as the DT770's. Please let me know your thoughts on the subject, hopefully I'll be basking in glorious impactful bass soon !

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #94 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by starvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure glad I found this forum posting. I recently started my foray into the hi-fi ish headphones. I just got a pair of allesandro MS 1's, and while I have found them to be quite detailed and good at reporducing voices, they simply do not have the base impact I was looking for. I like that "live" sound to my music. I listen to a variety of genres, Classic Rock, Metal, Jazz, Blues, but I am mostly looking at a phone that can give my heavier music the impact im seeking. Up until I stumbled on this headphone I was seriouly considering the DT770's. These seemed to be the unanimous basshead headphone on these forums. Ideally I would like to listen to the next headphone I'm considering before I put down the money, however there is not a retailer of Beyers in my area. The biggest retailer of higher quality headphones in my area seems to be axe music (Calgary, Canada).

I guess my question is, would the Q40's satify my thirst for more bass impact? Is the bass comparable to that of the DT770? Another possiblity is the AKG 181/81's, which from my understanding is a good phone, but not in same league as the DT770's. Please let me know your thoughts on the subject, hopefully I'll be basking in glorious impactful bass soon !

First off let me state that I have not heard the Q40. I do know warrior05's taste in headphones pretty well, and for him to compare these to the DT990 he must really like them.
For me it's all about balance, and the same is true for Scott (warrior05). We both love great bass response, but not at the expense of the treble and midrange. For me the DT770 sacrifices some of that treble, and the sound is not balanced. The DT990 IMO gives the great bass response of the DT770, but with a balance between the other frequencies. If Scott says the Q40 reminds him of the DT990 that would be a great recommendation indeed.

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #95 of 1,653
Thanks for the quick reply,

I just gave axe music a call, and it turns out they dont have them in stock
frown.gif
. They can order them in for me ($144 CND), but I would have to buy them before hearing them. They said they carry AKG and Sen's in stock. Do you think my best course of action would be to go down to the store with my MS 1's in hand and A/B with the stuff they have there, or just pull the trigger on the Q40's? The guy on the phone suggested the AKG 271 S would be compareable, but from my understanding it requires an amp to sound good, and it is not very bass heavy.

PS

I know its asking a lot, but if anyone could offer me a comparison between the MS 1 and Q40 that would be awesome!

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #96 of 1,653
starvin, I don't know how the SR80s (which the ones i have) compares to the MS1s. Right now, i'm switching from one headphone to another (SR80/Q40), and in I'd like to say, in my ear, that the Q40s sound is huge...i can hear bigger/fuller, more natural and more details in all sound spectrums than my SR80.

I'd would say go for it...buy it coz' for the price, you won't be asking for more. Good Luck!

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #97 of 1,653
Ok, I now know what I have to do
biggrin.gif

But just a quick observation, on the M Audio web site it shows the Q 40 with a coiled cord, which seems to me like a good solution if you wanted to use it with a DAP. I have noticed that the picutures posted at the beginning of this forum show it with a normal cord. My question is to the people who have the Q 40, what cord does it come with ?

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #99 of 1,653
Nice to see my Q40s getting some air time!
biggrin.gif

For a $120 headphone, the bass quality on the Q40s is pretty impressive. As I mentioned, they remind me of my DT990s though - as expected - just not quite as good. I'm hoping I can eek out a bit more detail with some mods I have lined up. I just haven't had time to take these apart yet.

By the way, I had a chance to listen to a pair of Pro700s and comparing the two would be very interesting. Next time I go to AudioCubes, I think I'll bring my Q40s and try and do an in store comparo.

The cord is straight but is really quite horrible. I immediately made myself a cable for it which is tricky since it is a threaded connector into the left ear chamber.

Feb 3, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #101 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
warrior05...do you happen to have a set of pleathers lying around that you could compare the velours to? I'm hesitant to drop more money on velours on the chance they'll sound closer to stock than to the Beyer pleathers...I know we all hear things differently, but if you don't detect a difference between the pleathers and velours, then I'll know the latter probably aren't for me.

I will try this out and get back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back