Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jan 11, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #3,842 of 9,186
I received the cable I ordered from Electro Acousti (cable #170) to replace the stock cable of my Final Audio E5000. The stock E5000 cable is unbalanced 3.5mm, but the two amps I use both offer balanced output, so I ordered the cable with a balanced plug. I've only been listening for about half an hour, but the cable pairs great with these IEMs. Soundstage sounds about the same, but I immediately noticed that instrument separation is improved. Perhaps nicest of all is that this cable is much softer than the stock E5000 cable, which is notoriously stiff and annoying.

This cable cost me about US$74. Final wants US$200 for a stock E5000 cable. You do the math.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #3,843 of 9,186
As per the 175 for the M7. Hmm. Based on my own testing with all BA earphones. More expansive wider stage. Cleaner instrument separation. Better textured sound. Blacker space. Which is what it does for my Andromeda S.

Makes your higher end earphones sound more higher end actually is the best way to describe it.

Having read your earlier opinions, aside from the AG8 giving a fuller sound, in what other ways do you find it to better than the 175? From what I understand the 175 is pretty neutral and acts mainly as an increase in technicalities but the AG8 adds its own color to the sound? Would you see a scenario where you would prefer the 175 over the AG8?

Additionally, what do you think of the PW Audio No. 10 https://music-sanctuary.com/collections/pw-audio/products/pwaudio-anniversary-no-10 It appears they're sending out units to the popular review sites and it seems similar to the AG8!

I am very hyped with the AG8 and hope to get the first/best upgrade cable for the M7 within the $200 mark.

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #3,844 of 9,186
I think the 175 wins in technicalities AG8 wins in sheer scope of sound. 175 cable has the blackest of back grounds and is no wimp when it comes to stage, giving it the best defined sonically of any cable I own but the AG8 does that as well but then adds a grander stage and fuller sound. It really comes down to synergy. I prefer using the 175 cable on my Andromeda S vs AG8. AG8 on a highly resolving single dynamic like a FDX1 is amazing. That PW cable is more expensive and I am sure it is a nice cable not a pure silver but a single crystal OCC so more copper variety. I would get the 175 over that one as I bet it will be comparable for much less money. AG8 is pure silver so it is different. I got word from the guys that make the AG8. They are offering a cable that is worth way more than what it cost. They told me similar thick 8 core pure silver from other cable makers will easily cost double. I believe them.

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #3,845 of 9,186
Thank you for the detailed response! I appreciate the help. Have a good day sir!

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #3,846 of 9,186
Hello. I like the stock cable on my Tri I3, which I hear is the same as the stock cable on the Tin Hifi P1.

Anyone know if this cable is available separately somewhere and if not, what other cable would have properties similar to it?

Also, is there a balanced version of this cable - and if not, what would be the closest equivalent?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 11, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #3,847 of 9,186
Well call me a new believer of cable burn in. It is subtle but I clearly heard a wider more expansive stage with greater depth and slightly better texture of sound as well. It wasn't night and day different but when I switched back and replayed the track it was definitely audible. Sonically the definition of the track is the same but the stage is where the burn in seems to expand the sound.
hehehe.. I know that feeling... it's there,. u know it.. while some dont believe...
Vibration, Solder material, cable Tuning etc...
Again, I am just trying to be open mind...

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #3,848 of 9,186
I think the 175 wins in technicalities AG8 wins in sheer scope of sound. 175 cable has the blackest of back grounds and is no wimp when it comes to stage, giving it the best defined sonically of any cable I own but the AG8 does that as well but then adds a grander stage and fuller sound. It really comes down to synergy. I prefer using the 175 cable on my Andromeda S vs AG8. AG8 on a highly resolving single dynamic like a FDX1 is amazing. That PW cable is more expensive and I am sure it is a nice cable not a pure silver but a single crystal OCC so more copper variety. I would get the 175 over that one as I bet it will be comparable for much less money. AG8 is pure silver so it is different. I got word from the guys that make the AG8. They are offering a cable that is worth way more than what it cost. They told me similar thick 8 core pure silver from other cable makers will easily cost double. I believe them.
Yea it's all about the synergy. The AG8 pairs with my Andromeda 2019, SE: Gold & MW10 better than the S.

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #3,849 of 9,186
Cable matters but it doesn't mean the expensive one are x10 better like their price.
Synergy is the one that you have to audition it yourself. So, that's why I bought a lot of EA cables here. I also think the EA is fair price. (a little bit expensive but not that expensive like the brand one).

From my experience. Interconnect cables are easy to tell the different than headphone/speaker cable.

Jan 12, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #3,850 of 9,186
no problem with 4 cores if using balanced termination, because analog sound, all frequencies, travel through both wires, positive and negative (inverted positive). no differences.
i've not tried this with single-end termination (positive and ground signals); to me, guess the material used for positive signal would have more influence in this case, but i've heard impressions from other head-fiers who tried it and already notice the mix.

Good question. I only went for the 8 core EA cables and not the 4 core variety but. One thing I am starting to understand though is thickness of the cables matters. I have a few 4 core cables that are actually thicker than some of my 8 core cables. Thicker cables seems to give a more expansive fuller sound. This is just observation on my part but for example I have the ISN S8 cable that came with my ISN H40 hybrid earphones. The phones was tuned with the S8 and if you attach the 16 core version to it the S-16. The sound expands and is thicker fuller sounding like the thickness of the cables indicate. Now will a 4 core 175 sound like a 8 core? Cant say. I bet it will be like 95% identical but them added 4 cores should in theory add a bit more of what the cables do well. I remember Hakuzen mentioning and recommending 8 cores I forget what he said about that. But there seems to be a real reason why thicker cores/ more cores adds a bit sonically. I do own some higher end cables that are thinner 4 core cables that sound great. Penon Fiery and Neo cables. Both of which are excellent cables.. I could be full of poo but hey that is my observation at least. Lol.

its quite the somewhat the contrary what he replied to me, he said on balance almost no difference, single ended you will notice it, now i want to experiment more, i do have the 4core 175, and my girl wants it, so i might buy the 8core version just for the comparison, is it heavy? i dont want heavy cables

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #3,851 of 9,186
Hello. I like the stock cable on my Tri I3, which I hear is the same as the stock cable on the Tin Hifi P1.

Anyone know if this cable is available separately somewhere and if not, what other cable would have properties similar to it?

Also, is there a balanced version of this cable - and if not, what would be the closest equivalent?

Thanks in advance.

Stock cable is OK but to be honest I never touched my Tri I3 cable. Reason why. The sound design is fairly warm especially out of the box and you add a copper cable to that? Makes no sense to me. This is another case of "hey lets just throw in that copper cable we have around." A lot of manufacturers are guilty of throwing in a cable on a phone just for looks or something cheap as they have a bunch of it. What they should have done is use an SPC variety of cable. I am using the ISN S4 on it which is amazing on the TRi I3. TRi I3 already has a big wide stage for sonics but it needs more definition to the sound and that is what the ISN S4 does. It is a perfect match for it sonically.

In fact this cable brings out a bit of treble sparkle that that Tri I3 is missing with other cables, balances out the tonality of the phones. It sounds absolutely superb with the ISN AG8 but those cables cost more than the earphones themselves.
AG8 for the Tri I3, Makes these one of the widest deepest sounding earphones I own.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #3,852 of 9,186
my opinion is sound differences when using different cables are very subtle and mostly related to stage and background noise. personally, i don't mind to spend a bit to get these differences because my experience after long listening sessions is more enjoyable. but always keep proportion. my best cans/iems cost around $350-$700, and my best cables cost around $150. for analog interconnects, i'm DIYing cables using neotech UP-OCC silver and copper solid wires (they are short and rarely moved).
to get different tonality ("signature") i'd better try tip rolling or equalizing, cheaper and more effective.

about 4 cores vs 8 cores (same cores types), i also think i get slightly fuller bass with 8 cores, but it could be bias (i don't think i'd pass a blind test). lower resistance is always welcome (i won't repeat why), specially if driving iems with balanced armatures, but maybe it isn't critical in your case (i own sources with very low output impedance, around 0.1ohm, and many BA iems, so i like to keep cable resistance low; it's a matter of perfectionism, i don't think there will be noticeable sound differences while staying below 400mOhms cables). about their weight, cable 175 4 cores (2.5mm jack, standard length) weights 21.5g, and 8 cores version weights 28g (32g in the case of 4.4mm jack), so not much difference.

Jan 12, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #3,853 of 9,186
Where can I buy an inexpensive, thin, light in weight, good quality MMCX copper (OCC) cable, 3.5mm?

Jan 12, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #3,854 of 9,186
The BQEYZ Spring cable is in the sub-400mΩ club. It is designed for use with IEMs with slightly recessed 2-pin ports. I have it on my Tanchjim Oxygen now.
Image00001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back