Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Aug 24, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #2,356 of 9,186
THIS seems to be the 165 (I don't know for sure of course). At the moment, a bit cheaper compared to the other sellers and it will be even cheaper in 2 days.
Yes, it is 165. But no links and no pics from that banned shop/seller. I usually prefer to spend a few more bucks, if needed, and purchase it at NiceHck, because most, if not all, issues I got with cables where related to the banned seller (and supposed a nightmare and headache).

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #2,357 of 9,186
That cable doesn't come as a 2 pin does it? I have it as well and it is excellent, just wish it came with the 2 pin connector.

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #2,358 of 9,186
That cable doesn't come as a 2 pin does it? I have it as well and it is excellent, just wish it came with the 2 pin connector.
Yea, cable 165 only comes with MMCX.
But cable 170/171 (2/8 cores) come with the termination you prefer, 2pin, MMCX, or others, the jack has got way better quality, and the copper wire is litz, while 165 isn't litz shielded. For a few bucks more, you get better cable in all senses. Anyway, cable 165 is very good, in my top ten picks.

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #2,359 of 9,186
Yes, it is 165. But no links and no pics from that banned shop/seller. I usually prefer to spend a few more bucks, if needed, and purchase it at NiceHck, because most, if not all, issues I got with cables where related to the banned seller (and supposed a nightmare and headache).

Oh right, thanks. I wasn't aware there are banned sellers on this site.

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #2,360 of 9,186
I second this request... I am looking for the same with a 4.4mm balanced termination. I've scoured AliExpress and can't seem to find anything decent. Anyone?
I tried the $15 dollar trn one off amazon... not impressed.

Aug 25, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #2,362 of 9,186
Anyone know of any cables that have an angled .78 2-pin? Look like this

Preferably $100
I second this request... I am looking for the same with a 4.4mm balanced termination. I've scoured AliExpress and can't seem to find anything decent. Anyone?
I tried the $15 dollar trn one off amazon... not impressed.
Guess the problem is that quality cables tend to use better plugs, and metallic plugs use to be straight. So you only find angled plastic plugs in cheap cables.
I can't remember a good quality cable using standard 2pin (not QDC) angled plugs now, sorry.
These adapters could be a solution for some people:
taVar_02.jpg

I borrowed a better multi-meter and got the following:

L+ = .7 ohms

L- = .7 ohms

R+ = .6 ohms

R- = .6 ohms
They are a bit high resistance measurements for my taste, but look even at least.

Aug 25, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #2,363 of 9,186
Guess the problem is that quality cables tend to use better plugs, and metallic plugs use to be straight. So you only find angled plastic plugs in cheap cables.
I can't remember a good quality cable using standard 2pin (not QDC) angled plugs now, sorry.

They are a bit high resistance measurements for my taste, but look even at least.

Moon audio are angled as well as 64 audio. I know where the expensive ones are having trouble with the cheaper ones

Aug 25, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #2,364 of 9,186
Moon audio are angled as well as 64 audio. I know where the expensive ones are having trouble with the cheaper ones

@hakuzen

Well, I hope the plastic connector doesn't noticeably affect audio quality because I just ordered a custom 170 from Aliexpress Electro-Acousti Store with black angled 2-pin connectors. I inquired via chat and they sent a pic of the one I'll be getting and said it would be no problem. I also requested no memory wire, black metal splitter and 4.4mm connector. Sure the plastic angled connectors are cheaper looking but as long as audio isn't affected I'm fine with it. I don't care for flashy connectors anyway. I just recieved shipping notification ( ordered Friday afternoon). I'll report back when I get it.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #2,365 of 9,186
@hakuzen

Well, I hope the plastic connector doesn't noticeably affect audio quality because I just ordered a custom 170 from Aliexpress Electro-Acousti Store with black angled 2-pin connectors. I inquired via chat and they sent a pic of the one I'll be getting and said it would be no problem. I also requested no memory wire, black metal splitter and 4.4mm connector. Sure the plastic angled connectors are cheaper looking but as long as audio isn't affected I'm fine with it. I don't care for flashy connectors anyway. I just recieved shipping notification ( ordered Friday afternoon). I'll report back when I get it.
That's fine! No problem with plastic plugs, audio won't be affected. You'll enjoy cable 170 for sure.

Aug 25, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #2,366 of 9,186

Do those measurements seem plausible for a 6-core cable?

Aug 25, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #2,367 of 9,186
Do those measurements seem plausible for a 6-core cable?
If true 6 cores and balanced jack, there are two options:
- 1 core for L+, 1 core for R+, 2 cores for L-, 2 cores for R- (most usual).
- 2 cores for L+, 2 cores for R+, 1 core for L-, 1 core for R-.
In both cases, resistance of some signals should be near half of the others.
If resistance is so similar, 2 cores might be unsoldered, so only 1 core is used for each signal.

Aug 25, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #2,368 of 9,186
If true 6 cores and balanced jack, there are two options:
- 1 core for L+, 1 core for R+, 2 cores for L-, 2 cores for R- (most usual).
- 2 cores for L+, 2 cores for R+, 1 core for L-, 1 core for R-.
If resistance is so similar, 2 cores might be unsoldered, so only 1 core is used for each signal.
This is for a single-ended cable.

Aug 25, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #2,369 of 9,186
This is for a single-ended cable.
If true 6 cores and single-ended jack, there are two options:
- 1 core for L+, 1 core for R+, 4 cores for ground (2 cores for left ground, 2 cores for right ground); most usual option in 6 cores cables.
- 2 cores for L+, 2 cores for R+, 2 cores for ground (1 core for left ground, 1 core for right ground).

Aug 25, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #2,370 of 9,186
If true 6 cores and single-ended jack, there are two options:
- 1 core for L+, 1 core for R+, 4 cores for ground (2 cores for left ground, 2 cores for right ground); most usual option in 6 cores cables.
- 2 cores for L+, 2 cores for R+, 2 cores for ground (1 core for left ground, 1 core for right ground).
Got it. That's a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back