1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!

First

Back
148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157
159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168
Next

Last
  1. hakuzen
    Yes, it is 165. But no links and no pics from that banned shop/seller. I usually prefer to spend a few more bucks, if needed, and purchase it at NiceHck, because most, if not all, issues I got with cables where related to the banned seller (and supposed a nightmare and headache).

2. Carlsan
    That cable doesn't come as a 2 pin does it? I have it as well and it is excellent, just wish it came with the 2 pin connector.

3. hakuzen
    Yea, cable 165 only comes with MMCX.
    But cable 170/171 (2/8 cores) come with the termination you prefer, 2pin, MMCX, or others, the jack has got way better quality, and the copper wire is litz, while 165 isn't litz shielded. For a few bucks more, you get better cable in all senses. Anyway, cable 165 is very good, in my top ten picks.

4. cenix
    Oh right, thanks. I wasn't aware there are banned sellers on this site.

5. nlowran
    I tried the $15 dollar trn one off amazon... not impressed.

6. darmanastartes
    I borrowed a better multi-meter and got the following:

L+ = .7 ohms

L- = .7 ohms

R+ = .6 ohms

R- = .6 ohms

hakuzen likes this.
  7. hakuzen
    Guess the problem is that quality cables tend to use better plugs, and metallic plugs use to be straight. So you only find angled plastic plugs in cheap cables.
    I can't remember a good quality cable using standard 2pin (not QDC) angled plugs now, sorry.
    These adapters could be a solution for some people:
    taVar_02.jpg

They are a bit high resistance measurements for my taste, but look even at least.

8. nlowran
    Moon audio are angled as well as 64 audio. I know where the expensive ones are having trouble with the cheaper ones

9. jaker782
    @hakuzen

Well, I hope the plastic connector doesn't noticeably affect audio quality because I just ordered a custom 170 from Aliexpress Electro-Acousti Store with black angled 2-pin connectors. I inquired via chat and they sent a pic of the one I'll be getting and said it would be no problem. I also requested no memory wire, black metal splitter and 4.4mm connector. Sure the plastic angled connectors are cheaper looking but as long as audio isn't affected I'm fine with it. I don't care for flashy connectors anyway. I just recieved shipping notification ( ordered Friday afternoon). I'll report back when I get it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    hakuzen likes this.
  10. hakuzen
    That's fine! No problem with plastic plugs, audio won't be affected. You'll enjoy cable 170 for sure.

11. darmanastartes
    Do those measurements seem plausible for a 6-core cable?

12. hakuzen
    If true 6 cores and balanced jack, there are two options:
    - 1 core for L+, 1 core for R+, 2 cores for L-, 2 cores for R- (most usual).
    - 2 cores for L+, 2 cores for R+, 1 core for L-, 1 core for R-.
    In both cases, resistance of some signals should be near half of the others.
    If resistance is so similar, 2 cores might be unsoldered, so only 1 core is used for each signal.

13. darmanastartes
    This is for a single-ended cable.

14. hakuzen
    If true 6 cores and single-ended jack, there are two options:
    - 1 core for L+, 1 core for R+, 4 cores for ground (2 cores for left ground, 2 cores for right ground); most usual option in 6 cores cables.
    - 2 cores for L+, 2 cores for R+, 2 cores for ground (1 core for left ground, 1 core for right ground).
    In both cases, resistance of some signals should be near half of the others.
    If resistance is so similar, 2 cores might be unsoldered, so only 1 core is used for each signal.

15. darmanastartes
    Got it. That's a shame.

First

Back
148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157
159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168
Next

Last