Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Aug 13, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #2,266 of 9,220
I did read through all of that, which is why I was confused. If that's the 155, then you made a mistake with the link, or the seller changed the item in that link, because https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32995698807.html is currently under 169, not 155. 169 is supposed to be an UPOCC cable.
that seller changed the product of that link (removed now, thanks for letting me know), but the other two links provided were showing real 169

Aug 14, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #2,267 of 9,220
Hi guys,
Can someone please share to me a picture of a proper cabling about 2.5mm TRRS (AK if possible) to the drivers termination ?
Since I just received my RadSone ES100 I just want to give a try to this balanced output which intrigates me! :D (I'm pretty sure that reverting back to unbalanced 3.5mm will be difficult after that ^^)
My only issue is that I'm affraid to reterminate each of my cables to TRRS balanced, never tried before, so just need to be sure the cabling have to be perfect to avoid any short (as ES100 looks to be very sentitive to that).
Many thanks in advance for your help, appreciated :v:

Aug 14, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #2,268 of 9,220
Hi guys,
Can someone please share to me a picture of a proper cabling about 2.5mm TRRS (AK if possible) to the drivers termination ?
Since I just received my RadSone ES100 I just want to give a try to this balanced output which intrigates me! :D (I'm pretty sure that reverting back to unbalanced 3.5mm will be difficult after that ^^)
My only issue is that I'm affraid to reterminate each of my cables to TRRS balanced, never tried before, so just need to be sure the cabling have to be perfect to avoid any short (as ES100 looks to be very sentitive to that).
Many thanks in advance for your help, appreciated :v:

The ES100 app has a screen that shows and explains all about the 2.5mm balanced termination. You should definitely check it out!

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #2,269 of 9,220
The ES100 app has a screen that shows and explains all about the 2.5mm balanced termination. You should definitely check it out!
Yup, I checked it but I didn't understood anything at all, lol, I'm a good newb :D the only thing I understand is the "2.5mm Balanced Pin Map" section with the schema (representing a plug form)
Which one is the ground ? (unless there no ground anymore on TRRS ?)
Compared to 3.5mm unbalanced, and if I understand well (just to be sure) :
"R-" means L on 3.5mm ?
"R+" means R on 3.5mm ?
"L+" means GND on 3.5mm ?
"L-" means nothing on 3.5mm ?
If yes, what to do with "L-" ?

Also, which of L-/+ and R-/+ are going to positive on the drivers ? (in a 4 core wires if possible)
Sorry, I'm completely lost :D

*edit* : after re-reading the schemas from the app, looks like I understand a bit better. Correct me I'm wrong but, it is simplier than I thought: both L- and R- are going to negative from the drivers, and L+ and R+ to the positive. Also, it seems there is no ground at all to solder into a TRRS jack, I'm right?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #2,270 of 9,220
Yup, I checked it but I didn't understood anything at all, lol, I'm a good newb :D the only thing I understand is the "2.5mm Balanced Pin Map" section with the schema (representing a plug form)
Which one is the ground ? (unless there no ground anymore on TRRS ?)
Compared to 3.5mm unbalanced, and if I understand well (just to be sure) :
"R-" means L on 3.5mm ?
"R+" means R on 3.5mm ?
"L+" means GND on 3.5mm ?
"L-" means nothing on 3.5mm ?
If yes, what to do with "L-" ?

Also, which of L-/+ and R-/+ are going to positive on the drivers ? (in a 4 core wires if possible)
Sorry, I'm completely lost :D

*edit* : after re-reading the schemas from the app, looks like I understand a bit better. Correct me I'm wrong but, it is simplier than I thought: both L- and R- are going to negative from the drivers, and L+ and R+ to the positive. Also, it seems there is no ground at all to solder into a TRRS jack, I'm right?
3.5mm TRS, single-ended:.......L+ (tip), R+ (ring), GndL and GndR (sleeve)
2.5mm TRRS (AK), balanced...R- (tip), R+ (ring1), L+ (ring2), L- (sleeve)
so you have to get:
L+ cores from tip in 3.5, to ring2 in 2.5.
GndR cores (you have to identify them, using a multimeter, for example) from sleeve in 3.5, to tip in 2.5.
(R+ cores from ring in 3.5, to ring1 in 2.5; GndL cores stay at sleeve in both jacks)

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #2,271 of 9,220
3.5mm TRS, single-ended:.......L+ (tip), R+ (ring), GndL and GndR (sleeve)
2.5mm TRRS (AK), balanced...R- (tip), R+ (ring1), L+ (ring2), L- (sleeve)
so you have to get:
L+ cores from tip in 3.5, to ring2 in 2.5.
GndR cores (you have to identify them, using a multimeter, for example) from sleeve in 3.5, to tip in 2.5.
(R+ cores from ring in 3.5, to ring1 in 2.5; GndL cores stay at sleeve in both jacks)
Thank you very much, exactly what I was looking for :pray:

I found this picture very interesting to illustrate (if it can help some newbs like me) :

images.jpg

Btw last question: does all "balanced" plugs will be designed like A&K type ? or I will need to ask each sellers if each plugs are structured like this above picture?
Many thanks again in advance, much appreciated :v:

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #2,273 of 9,220
Aug 14, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #2,275 of 9,220
You can also buy a couple of decent cables, for 10€ each, in both versions (3.5 and 2.5) and compare before, so you'll know if it deserves the effort.

On the other hand, if you want to try because you like it, you've found the right place to do some questions :)

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #2,278 of 9,220
Newbie question here - Does 8 wire usually has a wider sound stage than 4 wire? Picks up better vocal and instrument placement ranges? (Paraphasing from another poster in the high end cable thread)
I see @hakuzen rec the 171 over the 170, which got me curious to learn why.

Aug 15, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #2,279 of 9,220
Thank you very much, exactly what I was looking for :pray:

I found this picture very interesting to illustrate (if it can help some newbs like me) :

Btw last question: does all "balanced" plugs will be designed like A&K type ? or I will need to ask each sellers if each plugs are structured like this above picture?
Many thanks again in advance, much appreciated :v:

I'm a bigger newb about this. Where do you read up on info about the different kinds of termination type? Single Ended vs. TRS vs. TRRS balanced. This gets my head spinning...
I'm waiting for the BTR5. Should I buy a new cable only after I get the BTR5, so I know which termination type to get?

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #2,280 of 9,220
I'm a bigger newb about this. Where do you read up on info about the different kinds of termination type? Single Ended vs. TRS vs. TRRS balanced. This gets my head spinning...
I'm waiting for the BTR5. Should I buy a new cable only after I get the BTR5, so I know which termination type to get?
Here are a couple of resources that might help:

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-jacks-plugs-explained/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/unbalanced-and-balanced-clarification.852468/

Hope this helps.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers,
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back