Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jul 11, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #1,996 of 9,305
Well, I have the choice of the pure silver 8 cores at electro acousti for 160$ or the FiiO LC-3.5D for 109$ (4 cores) then.
Currently trying to comunicate with electro acousti store to get the same 8 cores pure silver he purpose but with 4 wires.
I stay you guys tuned for the final price he will offer me
*edit* : price is 125$ for a 4 cores version of the pure silver
*edit2* : just checked but the official page has been updated with 4 cores now directly available! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33049568537.html
*edit3* : ok here we go guys! just ordered the pure silver 4 cores from acousti store ! @hakuzen you will need to find a cable number for it (175?) :D. Can't wait to receive this masterpiece :)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #1,997 of 9,305
by the brand logo, is Eidolic jack... consider not cheap.. but there's fake also, so we just wait until he got it...

Original Eidolic 2.5 TRRS can cost us Usd 10-15... CMIIW
yea, the eidolic mini seems to be eidolic "styled". i was able to find it at many shops of taobao for cheap. while the eagle one, couldn't find counterfeits.
for 8 cores, the eagle is better option (more spacious, and you can try a true rhodium plated plug, while avoiding the hard solder work on it).
the minis are suitable if you look for smaller plugs, to use with narrower cables (4 cores).

Well, I have the choice of the pure silver 8 cores at electro acousti for 160$ or the FiiO LC-3.5D for 109$ (4 cores) then.
Currently trying to comunicate with electro acousti store to get the same 8 cores pure silver he purpose but with 4 wires.
I stay you guys tuned for the final price he will offer me
*edit* : price is 125$ for a 4 cores version of the pure silver
*edit2* : just checked but the official page has been updated with 4 cores now directly available! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33049568537.html
*edit3* : ok here we go guys! just ordered the pure silver 4 cores from acousti store ! @hakuzen you will need to find a cable number for it (175?) :D. Can't wait to receive this masterpiece :)
this is a great new!
for dynamic drivers, like those used in your earbuds, resistance is not such important (with the exception of extreme low phones resistance, or very hard to drive phones).
so the 4 cores version is a more affordable option and it's welcome. let's reserve number 173 for it (170/171: 4/8 cores up-occ copper; 173/174: 4/8 cores up-occ silver+gold). this is why i use spaced numbering :wink:
remember that this true silver cable helps to bass get tighter, more detailed, but less rumble. for more bass, try 170/171 instead.
looking forward your impressions (and from all who are trying them too); congrats! =))

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #1,998 of 9,305
yea, the eidolic mini seems to be eidolic "styled". i was able to find it at many shops of taobao for cheap. while the eagle one, couldn't find counterfeits.
for 8 cores, the eagle is better option (more spacious, and you can try a true rhodium plated plug, while avoiding the hard solder work on it).
the minis are suitable if you look for smaller plugs, to use with narrower cables (4 cores).

this is a great new!
for dynamic drivers, like those used in your earbuds, resistance is not such important (with the exception of extreme low phones resistance, or very hard to drive phones).
so the 4 cores version is a more affordable option and it's welcome. let's reserve number 173 for it (170/171: 4/8 cores up-occ copper; 173/174: 4/8 cores up-occ silver+gold). this is why i use spaced numbering :wink:
remember that this true silver cable helps to bass get tighter, more detailed, but less rumble. for more bass, try 170/171 instead.
looking forward your impressions (and from all who are trying them too); congrats! =))
u mean 173 is Ag AU 4 core right?

can not wait for this to come...

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #2,000 of 9,305
although they don't state explicitly that their neotech wires are cryo treated, they are (check the "cryo" tip stamped on the reels).
the silver cable of your link is cryo treated, but no litz.

i'm measuring capacitance between + and - (or ground) wires now (you can check the measurements in my list, for a few cables).
more cores, more capacitance. the highest (by far) from the few cables measured was isn audio C16, 16 cores. curiously, it's one of the bassiest cables in my stock.
while up-occ litz cables measure less capacitance than other equivalent (in number of cores and thickness) cables. curiously, they are perceived as flatter, or even brighter.
so your guess of low pass filter effect has got sense.
however, fr measurements should show that difference, although it was small. i have to do a new set of fr, disto, crosstalk, etc. measurements for different cables..
It would be great to get measurements. With the general consensus on human ear sensitivity to detectable fluctuations being ~ 1 dB, it should be measurable.
I could not find any conclusive evidence how capacitance of cables really matter - but if it documentably does - selling adjustable capacitors may be a great HiFi business :)

In the context of impressions vs. measurements, it is really amusing to read subjective descriptions how silver-plated cables make perceptible difference while in most cases it is not pure silver (and alloys have much worse conductivity) or not silver at all...

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #2,001 of 9,305
I recently purchased a TRN 8 core bi-colour cable (056) - yes, the one that has 5 of the 8 cores connected. I can report that nothing has changed -> The cable's resistance still the same as earlier reported. It seems that TRN hasn't done anything to address the situation or at least done anything with the existing stock at their retailers. I'm currently trying to get the AliExpress vendor to refund my purchase.

I purchased the cable without reading through the entire 134 pages of this thread and followed the various reviews on other sites.

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #2,002 of 9,305
Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #2,003 of 9,305
I recently purchased a TRN 8 core bi-colour cable (056) - yes, the one that has 5 of the 8 cores connected. I can report that nothing has changed -> The cable's resistance still the same as earlier reported. It seems that TRN hasn't done anything to address the situation or at least done anything with the existing stock at their retailers. I'm currently trying to get the AliExpress vendor to refund my purchase.

I purchased the cable without reading through the entire 134 pages of this thread and followed the various reviews on other sites.

Good to know.

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #2,004 of 9,305

Good luck on the refund. Its probably better to just use the cable and enjoy it. Its not like there is bad sound coming from it and the cable itself is flexable and soft. Of course I am one to talk. I have 5 of them and all have been banished to the drawer of shame for eternity for no other reason then just mental ones.

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #2,005 of 9,305
The least expensive, guaranteed best bang for your buck cable is the stock cable that came with your gear. You already paid for it and it works perfectly.

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,006 of 9,305
Has anyone tried Fearless audio cable : https://www.linsoul.com/product-page/fearless-audio-iem-upgrade-cable
574311_0d73bf35a1e84f5f8532f003e75eccb7~mv2.webp

Jul 13, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #2,007 of 9,305
The least expensive, guaranteed best bang for your buck cable is the stock cable that came with your gear. You already paid for it and it works perfectly.

Interesting to follow this thread, but I agree with this observation. Following some of the Campfire Audio threads, as well, and there seems to be a great deal of effort on the part of some members to find a better cable (upgrade?) than one supplied by CA. I have several CA IEM’s and find the cables to be exceptional.

Jul 13, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #2,008 of 9,305

Interesting to follow this thread, but I agree with this observation. Following some of the Campfire Audio threads, as well, and there seems to be a great deal of effort on the part of some members to find a better cable (upgrade?) than one supplied by CA. I have several CA IEM’s and find the cables to be exceptional.
when the stock cable is decent enough, i agree there wouldn't be noticeable difference by using a cheap "upgrade" cable.
but when using BA based iems, an stock cable having resistance above 1ohm (together with source's output impedance), can lead to noticeable tonal alteration (specially in highs).
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/res...omments-and-links.907998/page-3#post-15060900

Jul 13, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #2,009 of 9,305
when the stock cable is decent enough, i agree there wouldn't be noticeable difference by using a cheap "upgrade" cable.
but when using BA based iems, an stock cable having resistance above 1ohm (together with source's output impedance), can lead to noticeable tonal alteration (specially in highs).
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/res...omments-and-links.907998/page-3#post-15060900

Thanks. I am new to this cable discussion. Taking output impedance of the source out of the equation for the moment (I am most often using iPod Classic 160Gb - latest model), have you measured any of the ALO/Campfire Litz cables? How do they fare?

Jul 13, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #2,010 of 9,305
Thanks. I am new to this cable discussion. Taking output impedance of the source out of the equation for the moment (I am most often using iPod Classic 160Gb - latest model), have you measured any of the ALO/Campfire Litz cables? How do they fare?
nope, sorry, the only iem cables i've measured are those included in my list

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back