Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jul 16, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #2,026 of 9,223

173, quite bling2...
first impression.. quite luxurious cable... Got the rhodium jack...

sound Impression, first I noticed, Micro detail & Soundstage really appear...
yes, Hakuzen was right, rumble decrease, Bass punchier, but very tight...
10 hour break in, 173.

20190716_080736.jpg 20190716_074303.jpg20190716_154922.jpg20190716_154943.jpg

Continuing Impression,
Material : The 2.5mm Rhodium Jack makes the cable looks damn good, even the Y-Splitter looks and feel heavy, not a regular material. MMCX looks usual but when u touch it, its different.

As expected, it's neutral but tends to Bright. Still have puncy bass.
The additional I heard is the High become airy...
The Micro detail in High makes you feel Wider soundstage.

Will get back after 1 week.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #2,027 of 9,223
I'm hoping someone like @hakuzen or @Slater might be able to help me out here. I finally got to start listening to my new TFZ No.3 last night and wanted to swap out the stock 3.5 mm cable for my JCally 2.5 mm balanced one, which I am currently using on my KZ ZS10 PRO. I have another identical JCally cable on the way, because it appeared in pictures that the TFZ No.3 was using the same type of C connector 2 pin that the KZ uses, and I wanted one to use as well with the No.3. It turns out that the raised connection port on the No.3 is slightly larger than the KZ'S and the shroud on the JCally cable is just a bit too small to pass over the raised connector, so I cant get the JCally cable to fit. A search on Aliexpress turned up nothing I could find. I am really bummed out, because I really like to use all my earphones in balanced mode from my Fiio Q1MK2. Does anyone know if there are any balanced 2.5 cables out there with that C type connection system, that will fit the TFZ No.3? Has anyone tried to mod one of these cable connectors in an effort to get it to fit? Looking at the No.3 stock cable, I can tell that the diameter opening is just a smidge bigger than the JCally's. Was wondering about maybe trying to scrape out some of the plastic shrouding inside the JCally cable to make the opening a bit bigger but I have no idea if this will work, or even what kind of tool would be small and sharp enough to attempt this. Anyone have any advice on this for me? Thanks!
i don't own any TFZ, so can't help. @Slater's suggestion of filing the housing of the pins a bit looks the best solution.

10 hour break in, 173.

Continuing Impression,
Material : The 2.5mm Rhodium Jack makes the cable looks damn good, even the Y-Splitter looks and feel heavy, not a regular material. MMCX looks usual but when u touch it, its different.

As expected, it's neutral but tends to Bright. Still have puncy bass.
The additional I heard is the High become airy...
The Micro detail in High makes you feel Wider soundstage.

Will get back after 1 week.
Thanks for your impressions! They match mines 100%.
I noticed bigger sound stage with this cable, mainly deeper (better layering), but also wider and maybe taller.

The Eagle rhodium plug is made of beryllium copper, gold plated, and rhodium plated over the gold plating. It's a very good quality plug, and costs 6x the price of every plug used in the chinese cables from my stock; most of them are made of brass, with a thin gold plating.
Look is also premium.
For DIY, I'd choose the Eagle gold plated version (no rhodium plating), because my solder skills are already low.

BTW, Electro Acousti Store (cables 173-174 and 170-171 in my list) has added several new shipping methods now (cheaper than Aliexpress Premium shipping, or even free) and some cheaper cables. With this new total price, I can say they are the best value up-occ cables available in Aliexpress (thanks to their variety of wires and terminations, and quality of the components). Oh my... this is a danger for my wallet..
Those who were suffering high shipping costs to their countries, check now the alternatives.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #2,028 of 9,223
My 173 has been shipped yesterday (at 2 days before the automatic order cancel), can't wait to receive it :)
If confirmed from my side, the impressions I read here are exactly what I'm looking for.
But be sure that my next cable will be again an UP-OCC (frozen this time) material based :D

Jul 16, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #2,029 of 9,223
i don't own any TFZ, so can't help. @Slater's suggestion of filing the housing of the pins a bit looks the best solution.

Thanks for your impressions! They match mines 100%.
I noticed bigger sound stage with this cable, mainly deeper (better layering), but also wider and maybe taller.

The Eagle rhodium plug is made of beryllium copper, gold plated, and rhodium plated over the gold plating. It's a very good quality plug, and costs 6x the price of every plug used in the chinese cables from my stock; most of them are made of brass, with a thin gold plating.
Look is also premium.
For DIY, I'd choose the Eagle gold plated version (no rhodium plating), because my solder skills are already low.

BTW, Electro Acousti Store (cables 173-174 and 170-171 in my list) has added several new shipping methods now (cheaper than Aliexpress Premium shipping, or even free) and some cheaper cables. With this new total price, I can say they are the best value up-occ cables available in Aliexpress (thanks to their variety of wires and terminations, and quality of the components). Oh my... this is a danger for my wallet..
Those who were suffering high shipping costs to their countries, check now the alternatives.
Never thought Taller Soundstage, but yes, the micro detail in high appears to create that.
After Brain burn in... rumble can be present, but depends on songs.
Example, on Billie Eilish album, Rumble still there, compare to 130.

BTW, below is the picture of the jack rhodium... dunno why, I love watching this
20190717_062549.jpg
prob this is my first time having this...

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #2,033 of 9,223
BTW, below is the picture of the jack rhodium... dunno why, I love watching this

prob this is my first time having this...
Nice, those Eagle plugs looks very premium and high quality. I think I will order 1 or 2 pairs for later DIY project. Now I understand their price.
I appreciate the space on it which makes soldering task more easy.
The only reluctant side is the shipping cost to France (at least), which is the same as ordering another plug itself, but Electro Acousti store looks finally serious.

Jul 17, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #2,034 of 9,223
Nice, those Eagle plugs looks very premium and high quality. I think I will order 1 or 2 pairs for later DIY project. Now I understand their price.
I appreciate the space on it which makes soldering task more easy.
The only reluctant side is the shipping cost to France (at least), which is the same as ordering another plug itself, but Electro Acousti store looks finally serious.
Electro Acousti has added several new shipping methods, cheaper than Aliexpress Premium shipping (which used DHL to Spain). Now I can select ePack, Aliexpress Standard Shipping, and others.
Check it, because shipping costs aren't a no-no anymore.

For DIY, consider also the gold plated version, besides of the gold+rodhium plated version, because rhodium plated contacts may require extra heat, flux, and even sanding the plating (you get extra durability, as a gift for your extra effort).

Jul 17, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #2,035 of 9,223
Electro Acousti has added several new shipping methods, cheaper than Aliexpress Premium shipping (which used DHL to Spain). Now I can select ePack, Aliexpress Standard Shipping, and others.
Check it, because shipping costs aren't a no-no anymore.

For DIY, consider also the gold plated version, besides of the gold+rodhium plated version, because rhodium plated contacts may require extra heat, flux, and even sanding the plating (you get extra durability, as a gift for your extra effort).
You are right, I totally forgot the new shipping methods frm the seller. Now its better: 3.84$ for plug shipment (ali standard), thank you :)
I will order the gold plated version, as what you said affraid me concerning the rodhium soldering difficulty :D
Looks like the seller has no direct standard 3.5mm, right? (yeah, I'm still oldschool! haha), can only see 2.5mm (so I will need to use an adapter which I prefer to avoid)

Jul 17, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #2,037 of 9,223
You are right, I totally forgot the new shipping methods frm the seller. Now its better: 3.84$ for plug shipment (ali standard), thank you :)
I will order the gold plated version, as what you said affraid me concerning the rodhium soldering difficulty :D
Looks like the seller has no direct standard 3.5mm, right? (yeah, I'm still oldschool! haha), can only see 2.5mm (so I will need to use an adapter which I prefer to avoid)
They only stock gold+rodhium plated version in 3.5mm. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000007579285.html
Don't know if gold plated version in 3.5mm exists and if they can stock it; ask them.
In my case, after getting some balanced sources, every cable I buy uses a balanced plug. The penalization of needing an adapter when using it with single end outputs, is compensated by the versatility: they can be used with both types of output.
I've not tried soldering on rhodium plated contacts, but heard of the extra effort from people who have tried. Guess if you can sand the plating using an small file, it will be easier. Anyway, you can ask to Electro Acousti guys before ordering, because they solder on these plugs quite well (the resistance of R- signal is even with the others, after soldering two 28awg cores on a really tiny plated contact).

wow... just realize, the price is more expensive then the S16... so i believe the cable material is different
I don't own S4, but sure it uses different wire. by specifications, look and price, guess it uses same wire than cable 128 of my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back