Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jun 12, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #1,711 of 9,228
They’re nice cables for the price. I had a Kinboofi 8-core cable that had NO cores connected, but that was obviously an isolated QC error haha

That's a hilarious outcome. Would you be interested in dissecting this one? It looks exactly the same as the one in your pic other than the 3.5mm plug, except it must have some cores connected because it actually produces sound. PM me if you have an interest in doing so, I wouldn't mind paying for a cable's destruction in the name of science (when the cable is so inexpensive).

Jun 12, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #1,712 of 9,228
That's a hilarious outcome. Would you be interested in dissecting this one? It looks exactly the same as the one in your pic other than the 3.5mm plug, except it must have some cores connected because it actually produces sound. PM me if you have an interest in doing so, I wouldn't mind paying for a cable's destruction in the name of science (when the cable is so inexpensive).

Absolutely I can do that. Check your PM.

Jun 13, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #1,714 of 9,228
After quite some time trying cables, doing A/B with some IEMs from different price ranges and trying to get a clear idea of how sound is influenced, I would say (against what is frequently said) that IMHO cheap phones benefit from better cables as expensive ones do too. The changes across FR are consistent and perceived anyway (more or less depends on phones drivers, design...) I'd say that silver plated cables have "better" highs and less full low freqs than same quality pure copper ones in most cases. In fact, I found myself using one kind of cable or another, depending on phone sound signature, so I perceive them as a tool to adjust a bit phones sound signature, as different tips can do too. It even can help sometimes to avoid EQ when minor adjustments are needed.

On the other hand, it's clear that a good phone could benefit more, but I found that this is not always the case.

Jun 13, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #1,715 of 9,228
I know my testing has opened my eyes. And the only way I’m buying cables anymore is if I test them myself or rebuild them myself. It’s just too easy to fake them.

Have you guys ever wondered why 90% of these cables have GLUED ON plugs? It’s because anyone would be able to simply unscrew the 3.5mm plug and see everything right there as plain as day (fake or not). So, glue the plugs closed so they can’t see what’s under the hood, so all they’ll worry about is how pretty all those braided wires look.

And you hit the nail on the head with the unskilled labor. That was my point - I am VERY skilled, and even building a true 8-core wire was a stretch for my skills. And I wasn’t even doing mmcx or 2-pin! All I was doing was cutting off the 2-pin ends, and soldering 2.5mm plugs in their place to make a full size headphone cable). The 2.5mm plugs I used have 10xs the soldering surface area than a mmcx or 2-pin plug.

So if I had that much difficulty (when I am not only highly skilled but I also had 10xs more room to work with) then there is no way on earth I believe that there’s any more than a few wires connected to 90% these 8 and 16-core IEM cables.

Sure, a manufacturer might build a real 16-core IEM cable for ad photos, or to send to a reviewer. But the ones they’re mass producing for general sale in their factory and selling for $24 are gonna be fake, and I’m willing to bet $100 cash on that belief. I hope someone takes me up on the bet and proved me wrong.

I think the only hope of a true 16-core IEM cable is a hand built cable from a small specialized boutique builder. And I’d expect to pay $250+ for it. Plus I’d want photographic proof taken during cable construction before I placed an order. And a boutique cable builder would be willing to do that.

The point is to look at buying an 8 or 16-core IEM cables for the looks. It’s a fashion accessory. Some of the 8-core cables might be real. But 99% of the 16-core cables will be fake.

In the future, if I’m buying a pre-made cable I’m going to stick with 4-core cables. Why? Because 4 core cables are impossible to connect any less than 4 cores (L+, L-, R+, R-). You can’t fake a 4 core cable and have it still be a functional cable.

I won't talk about my professional background here but I've soldered sh..loads of all sorts of cables back in the day, most of them for prototype instruments and with smallish connectors, including 2.5mm, 3.5mm and MMCX plugs. What puzzles me is that after all those years I blindly trusted those crazy claims (16 connected cores) even though I should have known much, much better ... oh well.
Thanks for the eye opener everyone!

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #1,716 of 9,228
I won't talk about my professional background here but I've soldered sh..loads of all sorts of cables back in the day, most of them for prototype instruments and with smallish connectors, including 2.5mm, 3.5mm and MMCX plugs. What puzzles me is that after all those years I blindly trusted those crazy claims (16 connected cores) even though I should have known much, much better ... oh well.
Thanks for the eye opener everyone!

Yeah, it had been a real eye opener for sure. I’m glad you agree how ludicrous it is to assume these people can hand solder a 16-core cable to connector pins that are barely 1.0mm big lol

I also wanted to share that I have a bunch more cables on the way to dissect. 8 and 16 core cables from HifiHear, TRN, KZ, and Kinboofi (so far).

So stay tuned everyone.

Also, if anyone wants to donate a cable or even a couple bucks via PayPal, 100% of it will directly go to buying and dissecting cables, which will benefit the whole community. All results will be made public, in a non-biased manner, with detailed photos and measurements. I’ve already had a fellow HeadFier (@Midgetguy) generously donate a Kinboofi 8-core cable, so thanks for that! Just send me a PM if you want to help out. Other than Midgetguy’s donation, all the cables I’ve torn down or have ordered to tear down have all been 100% out of pocket.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #1,717 of 9,228
Yeah, it had been a real eye opener for sure. I’m glad you agree how ludicrous it is to assume these people can hand solder a 16-core cable to connector pins that are barely 1.0mm big lol

I also wanted to share that I have a bunch more cables on the way to dissect. 8 and 16 core cables from HifiHear, TRN, KZ, and Kinboofi (so far).

So stay tuned everyone.

Also, if anyone wants to donate a cable or even a couple bucks via PayPal, 100% of it will directly go to buying and dissecting cables, which will benefit the whole community. All results will be made public, in a non-biased manner, with detailed photos and measurements. I’ve already had a fellow HeadFier (@Midgetguy) generously donate a Kinboofi 8-core cable, so thanks for that! Just send me a PM if you want to help out. Other than Midgetguy’s donation, all the cables I’ve torn down or have ordered to tear down have all been 100% out of pocket.

I like BGVP semi-cheap cables and (I understand it won't be possible) would like a lot to know about litz ones (but I never buy any cable under 15€-18€ because these are all [at best] standard or stock-like ones, based on production costs).

Anyway, want to thank you again for your valuable help.

EDIT: Sent too quick and forgot to mention that I can contribute - not too much :frowning2: - if people is interested in any of them.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #1,718 of 9,228
Is there a thick cable that fits the ZS10Pro? I bought it with the new kz gold /silver 8 Core cable but it's not as thick as I like it. Is there something more similar to the trn 8 Core silver /gold cable

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #1,719 of 9,228
Jun 13, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,720 of 9,228

So stay tuned everyone.

I look forward to the autopsy of that cable! I wasn't really thinking about it being legit 8-core cable or anything when I bought it, I just wanted to get a cable that didn't cost too much and had a good supple braid without memory wire (preformed heatshrink is fine, they've worked well for me in the past). I'm only into getting new cables for the ergonomic value, so I barely even buy any, but the addition of finding out if it actually is an 8-core cable would be quite interesting. It could shed light on how they can make such a cable for that price or we'll still still have to chock it up to it being Chinese. And it's coming from retail stock, so no cherry-picked samples.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm still very happy with my particular cable that I'm sending off for dissection. It seems physically solid at least and the cabling is supple and flexible.

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #1,721 of 9,228
I look forward to the autopsy of that cable! I wasn't really thinking about it being legit 8-core cable or anything when I bought it, I just wanted to get a cable that didn't cost too much and had a good supple braid without memory wire (preformed heatshrink is fine, they've worked well for me in the past). I'm only into getting new cables for the ergonomic value, so I barely even buy any, but the addition of finding out if it actually is an 8-core cable would be quite interesting. It could shed light on how they can make such a cable for that price or we'll still still have to chock it up to it being Chinese. And it's coming from retail stock, so no cherry-picked samples.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm still very happy with my particular cable that I'm sending off for dissection. It seems physically solid at least and the cabling is supple and flexible.

You’re right about the no cherry picked samples. All cables I dissect will be randomly bought from Aliexpress just like everyone else :)

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #1,722 of 9,228
Jun 13, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #1,723 of 9,228
Depending on the selected connector one could solder the related strands first with a wire loop or metal sleeve, then connect this bundle with a single wire to the contact of the connector.
That most cheap cables have a molded (glued) connector is probably less due to hide something but because it is the cheapest solution for mass production and at the same time a good strain relief and protection of the solder joints against mechanical stress.
My 2 cents ...

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #1,724 of 9,228
Depending on the selected connector one could solder the related strands first with a wire loop or metal sleeve, then connect this bundle with a single wire to the contact of the connector.
That most cheap cables have a molded (glued) connector is probably less due to hide something but because it is the cheapest solution for mass production and at the same time a good strain relief and protection of the solder joints against mechanical stress.
My 2 cents ...

Yes, it is theoretically possible, using clips, sleeves, loops, etc. However, if you have ever built a cable you will know how little room there is to still be able to screw on the outer shell (cover).

I have ideas for custom made proprietary connectors that could actually work. But they would have to be specially manufactured, and will be larger and bulkier than plugs that we are used to seeing. Think something like mini XLR, only smaller (micro XLR?).

The other thing to consider is that the more wires you add, the smaller gauge each wire can be. At some point, there is a point of diminishing returns, where it would be easier and more effective to make a 4 or 8 conductor cable, than a 16+ conductor cable.

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #1,725 of 9,228
they are the same cable in theory. except the third one, 16 cores, which wire is different.
got 2 copper color cables, and all strands from cores were conveniently soldered. one blue, some strands of some cores not so well soldered. black 8 cores version, one core was not soldered.
it's easy to check it when looking at my lists:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/resistance-of-cables-pics-comments-and-links.907998/
problematic measurements, which indicate solder work issues, are bold emphasized

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back