1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!

First

Back
105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114
116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125
Next

Last
  1. Midgetguy
    That's a hilarious outcome. Would you be interested in dissecting this one? It looks exactly the same as the one in your pic other than the 3.5mm plug, except it must have some cores connected because it actually produces sound. PM me if you have an interest in doing so, I wouldn't mind paying for a cable's destruction in the name of science (when the cable is so inexpensive).

2. Slater
    Absolutely I can do that. Check your PM.

3. Lurk650
    Yeah my cables are all either Kinboofi or YY and are 4/6/8 cores

4. Broquen
    After quite some time trying cables, doing A/B with some IEMs from different price ranges and trying to get a clear idea of how sound is influenced, I would say (against what is frequently said) that IMHO cheap phones benefit from better cables as expensive ones do too. The changes across FR are consistent and perceived anyway (more or less depends on phones drivers, design...) I'd say that silver plated cables have "better" highs and less full low freqs than same quality pure copper ones in most cases. In fact, I found myself using one kind of cable or another, depending on phone sound signature, so I perceive them as a tool to adjust a bit phones sound signature, as different tips can do too. It even can help sometimes to avoid EQ when minor adjustments are needed.

On the other hand, it's clear that a good phone could benefit more, but I found that this is not always the case.

fokta and hakuzen like this.
  5. archdawg
    I won't talk about my professional background here but I've soldered sh..loads of all sorts of cables back in the day, most of them for prototype instruments and with smallish connectors, including 2.5mm, 3.5mm and MMCX plugs. What puzzles me is that after all those years I blindly trusted those crazy claims (16 connected cores) even though I should have known much, much better ... oh well.
    Thanks for the eye opener everyone!

CoFire and Slater like this.
  6. Slater
    Yeah, it had been a real eye opener for sure. I’m glad you agree how ludicrous it is to assume these people can hand solder a 16-core cable to connector pins that are barely 1.0mm big lol

I also wanted to share that I have a bunch more cables on the way to dissect. 8 and 16 core cables from HifiHear, TRN, KZ, and Kinboofi (so far).

So stay tuned everyone.

Also, if anyone wants to donate a cable or even a couple bucks via PayPal, 100% of it will directly go to buying and dissecting cables, which will benefit the whole community. All results will be made public, in a non-biased manner, with detailed photos and measurements. I’ve already had a fellow HeadFier (@Midgetguy) generously donate a Kinboofi 8-core cable, so thanks for that! Just send me a PM if you want to help out. Other than Midgetguy’s donation, all the cables I’ve torn down or have ordered to tear down have all been 100% out of pocket.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  7. Broquen
    I like BGVP semi-cheap cables and (I understand it won't be possible) would like a lot to know about litz ones (but I never buy any cable under 15€-18€ because these are all [at best] standard or stock-like ones, based on production costs).

Anyway, want to thank you again for your valuable help.

EDIT: Sent too quick and forgot to mention that I can contribute - not too much :frowning2: - if people is interested in any of them.

Slater likes this.
  8. RikudouGoku
    Is there a thick cable that fits the ZS10Pro? I bought it with the new kz gold /silver 8 Core cable but it's not as thick as I like it. Is there something more similar to the trn 8 Core silver /gold cable

9. hakuzen
    Broquen likes this.
  10. Midgetguy
    I look forward to the autopsy of that cable! I wasn't really thinking about it being legit 8-core cable or anything when I bought it, I just wanted to get a cable that didn't cost too much and had a good supple braid without memory wire (preformed heatshrink is fine, they've worked well for me in the past). I'm only into getting new cables for the ergonomic value, so I barely even buy any, but the addition of finding out if it actually is an 8-core cable would be quite interesting. It could shed light on how they can make such a cable for that price or we'll still still have to chock it up to it being Chinese. And it's coming from retail stock, so no cherry-picked samples.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm still very happy with my particular cable that I'm sending off for dissection. It seems physically solid at least and the cabling is supple and flexible.

fokta and Slater like this.
  11. Slater
    You’re right about the no cherry picked samples. All cables I dissect will be randomly bought from Aliexpress just like everyone else :)

fokta, Midgetguy and Dani157 like this.
  12. RikudouGoku
  13. Antenne
    Depending on the selected connector one could solder the related strands first with a wire loop or metal sleeve, then connect this bundle with a single wire to the contact of the connector.
    That most cheap cables have a molded (glued) connector is probably less due to hide something but because it is the cheapest solution for mass production and at the same time a good strain relief and protection of the solder joints against mechanical stress.
    My 2 cents ...

hakuzen likes this.
  14. Slater
    Yes, it is theoretically possible, using clips, sleeves, loops, etc. However, if you have ever built a cable you will know how little room there is to still be able to screw on the outer shell (cover).

I have ideas for custom made proprietary connectors that could actually work. But they would have to be specially manufactured, and will be larger and bulkier than plugs that we are used to seeing. Think something like mini XLR, only smaller (micro XLR?).

The other thing to consider is that the more wires you add, the smaller gauge each wire can be. At some point, there is a point of diminishing returns, where it would be easier and more effective to make a 4 or 8 conductor cable, than a 16+ conductor cable.

15. hakuzen
    they are the same cable in theory. except the third one, 16 cores, which wire is different.
    got 2 copper color cables, and all strands from cores were conveniently soldered. one blue, some strands of some cores not so well soldered. black 8 cores version, one core was not soldered.
    it's easy to check it when looking at my lists:
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/resistance-of-cables-pics-comments-and-links.907998/
    problematic measurements, which indicate solder work issues, are bold emphasized

First

Back
105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114
116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125
Next

Last