Love the LCD-2 but everyone around me is getting mad at the sound that comes from them
Mar 24, 2011 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

DannyBuoy

100+ Head-Fier
Of course I can turn them way down but is there anyone that enjoys listening to music at a low volume when you have such nice phones?

In my office I have the Violectric V181 amp with 24 Bit USB module (optional) and the LCD-2 with Norse Audio 8 wire cable with Neutrik 4 Pin connector (running balanced) and I am loving the loud, dynamics of the LCD-2 and V181 but my neighbors around me in my office are at the end of their patience with me.

So this morning after being told to turn it down, even though the door to my office was closed, I was so pissed off that I decided to take a knife to the LCD2s, actually to some Dynamat Extreme but I really was mad.

I measured the diameter of the back of the cans and cut out a piece of Dynamat Extreme and used Quake Hold Museum Putty to apply the dynamat to the outside of my cans.

Now, with the V181 up to full volume there is only a little bit of sound that bleeds out with them on a buddy's head and me standing a few feet away.

I was not expecting much in terms of SQ but I have to tell you, although it does compress the headstage a bit and seem to trim back the mid's a bit, it was not at all as bad as I thought it might turn out. Given the choice of going back to my WA6SE and D7000 or using the dynamatted LCD2 and V181, I would choose the LCD2 for sure. I was so pleased, I thought I would start this thread and post a few pics of my project I did in angst, I am guessing there may be a few other LCD2 lovers out there comprimising on volume.

Cheers! Oh, before anyone says it; Yup! I know...very ugly, very ugly indeed....

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 30
Very interesting... the first closed back mod for the LCD-2 I've seen!
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 30
Putty comes off super easy. It is museum putty so meant not to ruin artifacts...

The Bass is bumped up a biut but still not a mid-bass bump like my D5000 or D7000 were. I still like it more than any other phones I have owned and now I can crank it up to a nice slamming level and the person 10 feet from me cannot here a thing. That is a win in my books.

Over the weekend, I am going to remove the paper cover from the dynamat and put either a very thin veneer of wood, or some kind of design to take down its ugly look a bit. But I am so happy with the isolation and quality that I don't even mind that it has killed the nice looks of my two week old LCD and Norse cable.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 30
I am afraid it I do that the dynamat will be close to the driver and I am not sure it would not touch it under some conditions. Dynamat is fairly stiff but certainly not like wood or plastic. I would rather leave the grills in place and put a very thin veneer of wood imprinted onto the soft rubbery compound of the dynamat. I have something in mind and just need to find veneer that is like 1/16th in thick.

Quote:
It wont look so bad if you stick the grilles with the felt on the outside of that.

You think it would make a nice closed-back can then?

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 30

In the past two weeks, ive ripped apart an RS1 and a HF2. I now think that if you can take a desgin and make it better or to suit your own needs then go for it.

Quote:
Putty comes off super easy. It is museum putty so meant not to ruin artifacts...

The Bass is bumped up a biut but still not a mid-bass bump like my D5000 or D7000 were. I still like it more than any other phones I have owned and now I can crank it up to a nice slamming level and the person 10 feet from me cannot here a thing. That is a win in my books.

Over the weekend, I am going to remove the paper cover from the dynamat and put either a very thin veneer of wood, or some kind of design to take down its ugly look a bit. But I am so happy with the isolation and quality that I don't even mind that it has killed the nice looks of my two week old LCD and Norse cable.

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 30
F'em. Make new friends. The leakage is really not too bad compared to most open phones. Sometimes you have to take a stand. That said, my fave closed phones are Denon D5000 and Ultrasone Pro900. If you can't beat them into submission, you could get closed phones and wait til they go to sleep. Or don't compromise, ask NATO for air cover until to you banish them to Brazil :) Normal people suck!!!!

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 30
I like listening to my phones in bed. I have the LCD2's and RS1i's and my wife is constantly complaining about the sound leak. I don't even play them loud. Wait until she hears my new 6 watt Lyr amp that will arrive next week. heheheheh.

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
I like listening to my phones in bed. I have the LCD2's and RS1i's and my wife is constantly complaining about the sound leak. I don't even play them loud. Wait until she hears my new 6 watt Lyr amp that will arrive next week. heheheheh.

hope you like your couch lol 
smile.gif

Enjoy

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 30
You know, sometimes marriage just doesn't work out. There are lots of very hot deaf women. And ASL is a beautiful language, not that hard to learn. Best part is when you don't want to hear it, you just turn your head or close your eyes. Just sayin'  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back