Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #676 of 889
Geesh, I may have found my new amp, specs look impressive.....upper mid-range?
If you were buying another today would it be a JDS unit?

I'd say a solid mid-ranger. The C5D is a Dac/Amp. If you want the amp only version, look for the C5.

I would get their Objective2 should I buy another amp. It has great reviews but it's not that portable, although transportable ;D

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #677 of 889
I'd say a solid mid-ranger. The C5D is a Dac/Amp. If you want the amp only version, look for the C5.

I would get their Objective2 should I buy another amp. It has great reviews but it's not that portable, although transportable ;D

Thank you for this. Before I order one last question, are there other contenders of the similar physical size? I'll be using it with my LP5.

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #678 of 889
Thank you for this. Before I order one last question, are there other contenders of the similar physical size? I'll be using it with my LP5.

I'm not looking at amps lately so I can't help you on this area.

My suggestion is to get the dimesions of the C421 online (same size as with the C5/C5D) and compare it with other amps that you fancy. This should give you a good idea how it will pair physically with your dap.

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #679 of 889
I'm not looking at amps lately so I can't help you on this area.

My suggestion is to get the dimesions of the C421 online (same size as with the C5/C5D) and compare it with other amps that you fancy. This should give you a good idea how it will pair physically with your dap.

Right. I see a new C241 for sale at about the same price....just curious is tthere any reason to purchase the older model with a new one available....?

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #680 of 889
Right. I see a new C241 for sale at about the same price....just curious is tthere any reason to purchase the older model with a new one available....?

Well, i can only think of 1, the C421 gave you the option of 2 different opamps - you can read more about it here http://www.headfonia.com/flyin-high-jdslabs-c421/ which gives you choice of SQ. I have the ad8620 version.

Aside from that, nothing else. The newer C5/D has better volume pot thought.

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #681 of 889
Well, i can only think of 1, the C421 gave you the option of 2 different opamps - you can read more about it here http://www.headfonia.com/flyin-high-jdslabs-c421/ which gives you choice of SQ. I have the ad8620 version.

Aside from that, nothing else. The newer C5/D has better volume pot thought.

Alright, thank you for this.
A new C5D is on its way to pair up with my LP5K, looking forward to the combination.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #682 of 889
  Alright, thank you for this.
A new C5D is on its way to pair up with my LP5K, looking forward to the combination.

Awesome! Yeah, since there's a newer model, better get the newer one. Glad I could be of help
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #683 of 889

Awesome! Yeah, since there's a newer model, better get the newer one. Glad I could be of help
wink.gif

You have been. My search was getting a bit tedious because most amps are quite a bit longer....and for the shorter ones I found like Opus 11, information was hard to come by. I remember visiting the JDS site a few weeks back but couldn't see myself with an Altoids can, and totally missed seeing the C5D.

Reviews on C5D SQ are very positive so I'm looking forward to hearing what it can do for the LP5K in some situations. Will report on findings later on.
Cheers,
PJ

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #684 of 889
Reviews on C5D SQ are very positive so I'm looking forward to hearing what it can do for the LP5K in some situations. Will report on findings later on.
Cheers,
PJ

For its price versus SQ, it's really bang for the buck! Too bad they didn't really get the exposure that they deserve on the C5/D, partly because this segment is too saturated with so many products (or the hobby for that matter) or the bigger brother - Objective2 stole all the limelight. But yeah, enjoy your amp! Happy listening! :)

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #685 of 889
For its price versus SQ, it's really bang for the buck! Too bad they didn't really get the exposure that they deserve on the C5/D, partly because this segment is too saturated with so many products (or the hobby for that matter) or the bigger brother - Objective2 stole all the limelight. But yeah, enjoy your amp! Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess they could use to know a few more folks like me. I'd been searching without much success for a well regarded amp with this form factor at this general price. The pickings are pretty slim and I'm very glad there was such a high quality product to choose. Lots of bigger, and more powerful amps....the market seems saturated with those.

Top it off with north american made, great customer service, and a two year warranty on top of the strong reviews......how can a person go wrong?

Yeah, looking forward to having a really decent mobile system. Thanks for the recommendation and happy listening to you too.

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #686 of 889
My music file is just under 200GB so I'm looking for the optimum SD/TF card speed requirements for the LP5K but haven't been able to find that data.
I plan to purchase two cards (one for backup and updating) and prefer to buy a card speed one or two steps above the necessary minimum. I can spend more than double on different speed cards but what is the point if the speed increase provides no tangible value.

Will any Class 10 card fit the bill?

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #687 of 889
LP5K and C5D arrived today, YES! Together they make a handsome package, almost made for each other.

I love this combo, their functionality really does compliment one other....volume on the amp renders the sleeping buttons on the LP5K no issue at all, and the LP5K is a very nice operational interface and very fast. Definitely my best dap so far. I liked the N5 but this UI beats it hands down, and with a lot more depth of options and settings, just very nice and super snappy. Other manufacturers please take note, the Lotoo scroll wheel implementation is the defacto standard you need to either meet or exceed, otherwise don't bother installing one. What a pleasure to use.

I must need to experiement with different earpieces with the Havi's, they don't sound good at all right now, even my ATH-50MX sound better and that wasn't expected. The Havi's sound really thin, gonna have to play around with the fit and see how much difference it makes....probably the world, hopefully.

I installed firmware 6.1.0.8.....does anyone know what the upgrade is over 6.1.0.4 and 6.1.0.7?

I'm looking at getting the Sennheiser PXC550 BT headphones but I've heard the LP5K bluetooth implementation leaves something to be desired. Is it a hi-res signal?  .....I know squat about BT standards. Are the Sennheisers going to be a worthwhile $500 investment? Is anyone using the LP5K with these cans?

Cheers all,
PJ

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #688 of 889
Level,

I have used the Sennheiser Momentum 2 Around Ear Bluetooth with the Lotoo PAW 5000. Sound is excellent, but the range is REALLY SHORT (5 feet - would skip out if I had it in pants pocket opposite 5he earpiece that received the Bluetooth, walking outside. Also, the Lotoo volume control does not work I Bluetooth mode....you must rely on the BT headphone volume control.

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #689 of 889
Level,

I have used the Sennheiser Momentum 2 Around Ear Bluetooth with the Lotoo PAW 5000. Sound is excellent, but the range is REALLY SHORT (5 feet - would skip out if I had it in pants pocket opposite 5he earpiece that received the Bluetooth, walking outside. Also, the Lotoo volume control does not work I Bluetooth mode....you must rely on the BT headphone volume control.

Hi ruthieandjohn, thank you very much for this. I hope stuffing the LP5K in a shirt or jacket pocket won't kill the BT signal.

Are you going to open a headphone museum with all the models you have......56 and counting! Are they all out for use or stuffed in closets all over the house?!

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #690 of 889
I really enjoy Grado headphones, and I think I have the largest collection in private captivity! I rotate through them, and I have compared each Grado to several other Grados, so can help others choose the one they want.

In fact, it was Grado that brought me to Lotoo...it is the player that Grado uses for their own headphone evaluation: PAW Gold for reference, PAW 5000 for portable. I have and love both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back