Looking for suggestions... $500 budget, closed back basshead phones, mangi+modi
Jan 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ickyman

Head-Fier
I'm thinking about a new pair of phones. Let me start off with that I have a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780's that I am pretty happy with, though I'd like to upgrade from them. I really do like these phones and I am hesitant to buy anything else because I'm not sure the money is worth the reward. I'd like to get a phone with a better soundstage. I also own a pair of ATH AD700's... I know for closed cans, the 780's arent bad... but the soundstage of the AD700's is a whole nother world. The AD700's are weak in the low end though. I also prefer a closed back design to cancel out noise/not annoy others.

Any suggestions?

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 16
I have looked around a bit... I was thinking about maybe Ultrasone Pro 900's or maybe DT770's... as far as I have read though, neither seems to be much an upgrade as far as sound stage goes. If I could improve upon that i'd be more likely to pull the trigger.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 16
Sound stage and basshead level bass normally don't belong in the same sentence. The DT770 does have a good sound stage for closed back headphones, considering its ability to isolate. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 16
The HE-400 should make a great basshead can that have enough soundstage to spare but they're fully open phones. Best soundstage from a closed can I've heard so far belong to either the Denon D2000 or the Kenwood K1000. Unfortunately the Denon is discontinued and becoming harder to find while the K1000 isn't exactly for basshead. If you want to go the Ultrasone route, I've heard both the Pro 750 or Pro 2900 would be a safer choice than the Pro 900.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 16
Utrrasone pro 2900 has a good soundstage.  Bass can hit pretty hard too.  On the other hand they are pretty bright imo and the mid's really didn't cut it for me.  Compared to the treble and bass, they were seriously recessed.  Plus they're open.

The DT770 would be a better choice.  Great bass and good soundstage for a closed headphone. And their comfy 
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 16
In my experience the DT770's have tighter bass than Ultrasone's, but not more. They don't have much, if any improvement in soundstage. So I don't know if the Beyer's would be a substantial improvement on the 780's. They go for about the same price though, so you can always sell whichever you don't like.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #11 of 16
if you like/can tolerate the brightness of the Hfi780, i dont see any reason for not getting the Pro900.... if we're talking about closed and bassy, the pro900 is a pair of great cans at ~330 a pop on amazon~ had it, was an amazing experience, love the speed and incredible highs n punchy bass, but keep in mind the mids aren't very prominent, have moved on to signature pro for a more balanced sound~ (the pro900 are a much better option than 770 for me, YMMV)

but if u want a more relaxed n slower vibe, the denon d5000 is another bassy closed back around the same price~~

maybe u should just get both of them n return the less favored one, if thats possible~~

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 16
denon d5000, mad dogs 
I havent heard the mad dogs but i think the denons will fit your needs.  They are discontinued so check the for sale forums.  You are not going to get amazing soundstage from any closed headphones but the denons do have a quite decent soundstage.  

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 16
Kind of in the same boat, but don't have quite the basshead requirement.  What I need most is comfort and isolation.  I work in an office with a really loud HVAC system and need headphones that block the sound and are also comfortable enough for all day wear.  I am currently using some modded T50RP's and they sound great and have been modified to be pretty comfortable, but because they aren't purely closed back (have a filtered port for bass), they still allow in a bit of sound.  I also tried some Denon AH-D7000s, and while they sounded great and had an amazing soundstage for closed headphones, they, too, aren't truly closed (thin port around the frame) and leak even more sound than the T50RPs.  I have had a chance to listen to some Ultrasone Signature Pros, and while they do isolate and sound quite good, they don't sound $1300 good (and could use some slightly thicker pads).  I used to have some Shure SRH840's which actually hit on most of the points really well for me, but I want to step up in sound quality (and get something with slightly less treble priority).  

Would love to piggyback onto this thread and see if there are any more suggestions.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #14 of 16
When Pro 900's are amped well, they have a very good soundstage for closed cans. As for the bass... Well, I mentioned on another thread that the other day I asked my friend, "I probably shouldn't be able to feel the bass from these in my legs, should I?"

If you already know you like Ultrasones, that would be my recommendation.

Also, piggyback man, you should just buy the OP's 780's when he upgrades. :wink:

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 16
I'm in the same boat. I'm listening to some Ultrasone 900s right now, and I am VERY impressed! I love the bass my ADH M50s put out and these take that punchy Bass and add some lower end ooomph to it. The highs were a bit sharp at first, but they are already mellowing out. For a closed back phone these things have a really nice soundstage and better separation than the M50s. Nothing ragged about these bad boys... I'm waiting for a pair of DT770s to arrive from UPS as we speak. I plan to spend the evening cross comparing the two, and then I have to choose... 

How would you guys compare the sound of the DT770 to the Ultrasone 900s? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back