Looking for Shure 940 sound in another headphone
Nov 16, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #16 of 25
Still think it's strange how the same company that makes the SRH840 and SM58 and is often criticized for making things too heavy-duty and military-grade came out with the 940s which seem to disintegrate within weeks of ownership. Maybe they took the criticism a tad too seriously.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:
Still think it's strange how the same company that makes the SRH840 and SM58 and is often criticized for making things too large and heavy and military-grade came out with the 940s which seem to disintegrate within weeks of ownership. Maybe they took the criticism a tad too seriously.

well the srh940 has 2 sets of hinges, one to fold up and one to fold up and one to turn 90 degrees sideways, its the hinges that fail, plastic for hinges is a bad idea (look at beats solos for one) the rest of the construction  is okay but the strain of wearing put on the 2 sets of hinges cause it to desintegrate, i think the srh840 does not have this problem, maybe they just stuck too many folding features on this pair
rolleyes.gif

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #18 of 25
In regards to the 940 I don't know why Shure hasn't recognized and accepted the issue a fixed it. Better to do a recall and replacement than take such a hit to their reputation.

I am not as critical of the Sony MDR-1R as Sofasteamer is, I find the sound signature to be enjoyable and the comfort level of them to be exceptional. But he is right about them not being as clear and detailed as the 940. So if you really love the 940 sound you won't find that in the MDR-1R. But if you can audition the 1R I think you should as you might not mind the change in signature and I do think they will not have the same build quality issues.

You could look at the KRK8400, personally in my auditions I found them to piercing for me. But I have read that aggressive burnin reduces this issue but only trying this would determine if that is correct so you take your chances. Price wise though they are a good deal and I don't think they will break easily.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #19 of 25
It really upset me that I spent $300 on the top of the line Shure closed can and they broke within days of normal use. As far as I'm concerned Shure should be ashamed that this passed quality control during their R&D. My Senn 280's dont have a case and have been tossed around my laptop bags for 4 years. Other than a few scuffs on the pads they are still going strong.

If Shure comes out with a "950" in the future that has same 940 sound with decent build quality I would probably buy them. Until that day my money is going elsewhere.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 25
Gave the 1r another brief listening today. They are ok, but have Nothing of a wow factor go me. I would say, that they have the quality you can find in sub 100 $ iems. Soundstage is very 2-Dimensional. Once again, justifying Sound only they might be worth 150$ not more not less. My next purchase Must be dt1350 than.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #21 of 25
I've had my DT770's for a few days and I'm impressed. They seem to be a good sounding headphone for general use. Everything I've listened to that had a good source recording has sounded excellent. They seem to be holding up as well which is important to me at this point.

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:
what about piercing highs because of the "beyer"-peak. are they not fatiguing?

the shure peak is way worse than the beyer peak i assure. if shure highs are not piercing to the user then the beyer's one is defintely okay i believe 

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #24 of 25
I haven't noticed highs that are unpleasantly sharp. It may be for the reason streetdragon posted above. Overall I'm happy with them but I am looking for another pair specifically for hearing details. These don't replace the clarity of the 940's and I still miss that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back