Looking for Shure 940 sound in another headphone
Nov 13, 2012 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mcsewnab

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Based on all the great reviews about the clarity of the Shure 940's I overlooked the comments about build quality and purchased them. I figured that the "cheap plastic" wouldn't be a concern for me since I'm generally easy on my stuff and it had the nice hard case included. Well after six great days of listening the headband snapped taking them off last night. I just cant deal with the potential of these breaking under normal use for the next two years so I'm returning them.

Now I am in search of that wonderful clarity with build quality that will last. I've read hundreds of threads over the past two months which originally pointed me at the AKG K550's. I was able to test them locally only to find out they didn't seal on my head. The next option was the Shure 940's. On to option #3 I guess. My requirements for closed back are making this somewhat difficult so I'm reaching out for suggestions.

Required - Closed Back, $300 range, over the ear, somewhat neutral, build quality that will last.

Requested - Velour earpads, case or bag, removable cord.

I dont really want anything that is over emphasized in any areas. I was considering the Ultrasone Pro 900, looks like its well built and love the case/pads, but it seems that it may be a bass heavy headphone. If anyone has any experience with them with acoustic guitar or female vocals I would love the feedback. I listen to a mix of music, probably more often rock type tracks but depending on my mood it could be coffee house or R&B. I also have a Fiio E7 which I mostly use for the DAC.

I am only looking for new and will mostly likely be purchasing from Amazon.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 25
Mad Dogs. Way more metal and rubber than the 940.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 25
Soundmagic HP100, but they don't have velour pads

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 25
HP100 would be warmer, but still has good detail, and the mids probably won't be as forward.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:
Hello all,

Based on all the great reviews about the clarity of the Shure 940's I overlooked the comments about build quality and purchased them. I figured that the "cheap plastic" wouldn't be a concern for me since I'm generally easy on my stuff and it had the nice hard case included. Well after six great days of listening the headband snapped taking them off last night. I just cant deal with the potential of these breaking under normal use for the next two years so I'm returning them.

Now I am in search of that wonderful clarity with build quality that will last. I've read hundreds of threads over the past two months which originally pointed me at the AKG K550's. I was able to test them locally only to find out they didn't seal on my head. The next option was the Shure 940's. On to option #3 I guess. My requirements for closed back are making this somewhat difficult so I'm reaching out for suggestions.

Required - Closed Back, $300 range, over the ear, somewhat neutral, build quality that will last.

Requested - Velour earpads, case or bag, removable cord.

I dont really want anything that is over emphasized in any areas. I was considering the Ultrasone Pro 900, looks like its well built and love the case/pads, but it seems that it may be a bass heavy headphone. If anyone has any experience with them with acoustic guitar or female vocals I would love the feedback. I listen to a mix of music, probably more often rock type tracks but depending on my mood it could be coffee house or R&B. I also have a Fiio E7 which I mostly use for the DAC.

I am only looking for new and will mostly likely be purchasing from Amazon.

Heya,

AKG K272 HD
Beyer T70 (warehouse deal)
AudioTechnica A700X
Beyer DT660

The Beyer T70 is extremely similar to the SRH940 in sound, but built like a Beyer. The 250ohm version will run fine from your Fiio E7.

Very best,

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 25
Wow the amazon deal on the Beyer T70 is pretty sweet although I dont know much about them. Anyone have experience with the quality of the Amazon warehouse stuff. I'm concerned they might be very used considering the discount is almost $200 but then again would Amazon sell something that used?

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 25
MalVeauX, I read your review on the T70 and now Im not sure it worth the money even at the warehouse prices. I looked at the DT770 before but didn't consider them because of their lower price point. It sounds like maybe I should take another look at them. This also applies to the few others that you included above. I just assumed a $200 pair wouldn't provide the same experience of a $300 headphone. By the way I've been using Senn HD280's for a few years so before the Shure 940's those were my point of reference.

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:
MalVeauX, I read your review on the T70 and now Im not sure it worth the money even at the warehouse prices. I looked at the DT770 before but didn't consider them because of their lower price point. It sounds like maybe I should take another look at them. This also applies to the few others that you included above. I just assumed a $200 pair wouldn't provide the same experience of a $300 headphone. By the way I've been using Senn HD280's for a few years so before the Shure 940's those were my point of reference.

Heya,

Don't let price fool you. Some things are super expensive and are bad, others are inexpensive and really good.

That said, I would really put you towards:

Beyer DT770
AudioTechnica A700X & A900X
Brainwavz HM5

Very best,

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #14 of 25
looking forward to any impressions and reviews
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back