Looking for new headphones.
Oct 16, 2012 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tyler972

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking for a new set of headphones in the $100-$200 range.  I am pretty new to higher end headphones and all the audio stuff.  I have been looking around and reading reviews and have found that the most recommended one are the ATH-M50.  I listen to all types of music but I most prominently listen to rock, alternative, and singer-songwriter.  I don't really know what information you need, like I said i'm a noob when it comes to this, so if there is anything else you need to know let me know.

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hello, I am looking for a new set of headphones in the $100-$200 range.  I am pretty new to higher end headphones and all the audio stuff.  I have been looking around and reading reviews and have found that the most recommended one are the ATH-M50.  I listen to all types of music but I most prominently listen to rock, alternative, and singer-songwriter.  I don't really know what information you need, like I said i'm a noob when it comes to this, so if there is anything else you need to know let me know.

Heya,

What will you be playing your music from? (PC, portable player, phone, etc)
Do you have any other audio equipment (AV receiver, amplifier, turn table, cd player, etc)?
Do you prefer big bass, neutral sound, bright or dark sound (treble)?
Do they need to be closed? Or do you want perhaps open air? Is privacy important?
Are these for home use, or portable and home use?
What quality music are we talking? (CD, or low bit rate MP3? Lossless?)

Very best,

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Heya,

What will you be playing your music from? (PC, portable player, phone, etc)
Do you have any other audio equipment (AV receiver, amplifier, turn table, cd player, etc)?
Do you prefer big bass, neutral sound, bright or dark sound (treble)?
Do they need to be closed? Or do you want perhaps open air? Is privacy important?
Are these for home use, or portable and home use?
What quality music are we talking? (CD, or low bit rate MP3? Lossless?)

Very best,

What will you be playing your music from? (PC, portable player, phone, etc) Mostly PC  also iPod Classic
Do you have any other audio equipment (AV receiver, amplifier, turn table, cd player, etc)? I will be getting a amp when I get the headphones, I am currently looking at HiFiMAN EF-2A. I was also wondering if a portable amp would work, something like the FiiO e7, E11.
Do you prefer big bass, neutral sound, bright or dark sound (treble)? Neutral sound
Do they need to be closed? Or do you want perhaps open air? Is privacy important?I prefer closed also over-ear not on-ear
Are these for home use, or portable and home use? Home use
What quality music are we talking? (CD, or low bit rate MP3? Lossless?) For the most part 192-320 kbps and some ALAC. I am slowly trying to get most of my library to at least 256 kbps.

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 6
Heya,

In that case, look into:

Closed back headphones:

Modded T50RP (Mr Speakers Mad Dogs)
Brainwavz HM5 (or FA003, FA002W)
Shure SRH840
AudioTechnica A900X
Denon D2000 (used/sale)
Beyer DT770 (premium)

USB DAC/AMP for PC use, that will also function with your ipod (portable or simply input):

Fiio E7
Fiio E17
iBasso D-ZERO

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back