Looking for new headphones
Nov 7, 2010 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

maxietheboss

New Head-Fier
I am currently looking for new headphones. I am currently using a creative fatal1ty mk2 headset. It's ok for listening to music, but not for thoroughly enjoying and feeling music. Before this I used a sennheiser HD205 which I just can't wear, as they start hurting really bad after about a quarter of an hour. It seems like the put to much pressure on my head and the foam pads on the earpieces isn't soft at all. As they are on-ear phones they really press against my ears and I can't stand it. As the creatives are over ear and feature softer they're much more comfy but still not the best.

Genres/artists I listen to.
Rock (muse being my most listened to artist)
Indie
House/Dance (deadmau5/crookers)
Electronic
Blues
Alternative
a bit of pop and hip hop but only a few songs
as I listen a, in my opinion, great variety of genres I find it hard to say which genre is most important for me, the genres are not listed in order of importance for me.

I don't really have a budget, I mean I could afford a pair of 2000$ headphones but that wouldn't make much sense venturing into real quality headphones for the first time. So something in the range of 50-200$ would be acceptable for me
Is a headphone amp really needed, my music sources are either my Mac or my iPod.
Thanks for your time in advance, this is my first post here btw after reading about amps and headphones for about a week here.

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 4
Well here's a list for ya:

these are open back

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700

Sennhieser HD238, HD515, HD555, HD595

AKG K 142, K 240MKII

Grado's SR60i to SR225i line

next are the closed back

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Sennhieser HD448

Denon AH-D1100, D2000

AKG K 172, K 270

Beyerdynamic DT 770 32ohm

Ultrasone HFi 680, HFi 780

Shure SRH 440, SRH 840

All of these headphones are easily driven without an dedicated amp and are in the price range of 85 to 200 dollars.

Now open back 'phones don't isolate sound at all as you will hear ambient noise around you but the advantage is a much larger sound stage than closed 'phones and a clear airy sound signature.  If you don't need the sound isolation open back 'phones are usually the way to go for the best audio reproduction, but that really depends on your own preference as these are some exceptional closed phone options as well.

Nov 8, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Thanks, that kind of post was exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to decide if I want open or closed and then decide what pair of phones I want. Anymore suggestion?

Short answer: Don't decide without trying.

Long answer: Buy two or three( semi open maybe) all with little cash spent on each( which is hard cause open backs start at about $70) then decide what you like.

I suggest you get SR60i's and Creative Aurvana Lives. That will give you a good mix of sound(which will mean some music will sound good on one and the other will sound good on the other) and they will be a good  benchmark for what "open" and "closed" are. I suggewst this because until you know what you like then you can waste money very easy on a hunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back