looking for new DAP.
Aug 19, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #16 of 29
The Clip+ is so cheap inexpensive, that you might as well get it and the J3 (if you want music, video, games and custom UI's) and share the microSDHC card between them. I still have my Clip+ but my 32GB J3 was stolen, and my Rockboxed Clip+ lasts about 13-14hrs, while the J3 could go all week on one charge & constant listening at work (around 35-40hrs never kept track but hardly ever charged it).

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:
I prefer the Clip+ SQ over the 7th gen Classic and iphone 4.
I think the Clip+ deserves all the praise it gets from this site and others.

+1....and I don't even own a Clip+!

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:
Just go for the clip. If you want something serious then look into hifiman line, for example hifiman 601. All cowons, apple players are on the same level with clip+. Don't waste your money.

Good point as I am finding out. Out of iPhone 4, 7th generation Classic and Clip+, the Clip+ has the best SQ to me.

nipit, any experience with Sony WM-Z series or Samsung Galaxy 4.2 (has microSD slot) and if yes, how does it compare with the Clip+ ?
Also, have you heard the hifiman 601? Is it significantly better than the Clip+ ?

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
On all high-end players battery doesn't really shine :wink:

That's not true at all. The Studio V even puts the cowon to shame (55 hours using FLAC) while a Cowon will get around 10 with that format :). Not to mention the sound quality is vastly superior to the Cowon (even amped). Using lossy formats the Studio V will get up to 85 hours playback time between charges. There is nothing better out there in this department at this time and with such quality and features.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:
That's not true at all. The Studio V even puts the cowon to shame (55 hours using FLAC) while a Cowon will get around 10 with that format :). Not to mention the sound quality is vastly superior to the Cowon (even amped). Using lossy formats the Studio V will get up to 85 hours playback time between charges. There is nothing better out there in this department at this time and with such quality and features.

Hi Lee, how does the Studio V compare to a Hifiman 601/602 in terms of SQ, features and price?
What would you guesstimate the percent of Studio/Hifiman need to go back to China for repair?

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #24 of 29
Here's a review on HiFIMAN -HM601. I found one on ebay cheap, I was looking into. but unless you really need the internal amp to drive high impedance headphones it's of no use to me really.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CFYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trustedreviews.com%2Fhifiman-hm-601_Portable-Audio_review&ei=kbMxUISvBeSXiQfnzYFo&usg=AFQjCNH-AkpqH3Vc44Ll2KSsnhhz1rEhQA&sig2=wz12X8N9_k5fiBkgTMDFMw

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:
Hi Lee, how does the Studio V compare to a Hifiman 601/602 in terms of SQ, features and price?
What would you guesstimate the percent of Studio/Hifiman need to go back to China for repair?

Hey Olear I find the Studio V to be a significant upgrade over the Hifiman 601 (IMO at least). I actually found the 601 to be better than the Sflo2 and the Studio V to be superior to both those units. The Studio V looks to be a lot more durable as well. If I was to drop my Hifiman 601 I would panic and try to catch it in fear of breaking it. If I was to do the same with the Studio I would of course want to prevent dropping it to prevent it from getting dings on it. But I would be more concerned for my feet than the Studio V getting broken from hitting the ground lol. It is very durable and can take a beating. Plus you have 55 hours of batter life (up to 85 with lossy formats), it can serve as an external amplifier for other devices and best of all the sound quality is amazing.  The treble is very well extended and detailed, the mid range is upfront with great intimacy. The bass is very lean, controlled and has just the right amount of presence without being overbearing or lacking. The sound stage is very wide and airy. Imaging is second to none. The imaging is very powerful. The sound is extremely energetic.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:
between the walkman z series and cowon z2. which would you choose?

im looking into portability and pocket friendly mp3. 

hifiman products are bricks!

True but Hisound products aren't bricks :wink:. If you are referring to the newer Sony products I would say they would have the sound quality advantage. But they lack expandable memory so it would be a no go for me in that department. The last Cowon I tried was decent but not an improvement over my iphone 4 so it was a no go there as well.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #28 of 29
between the walkman z series and cowon z2. which would you choose?

im looking into portability and pocket friendly mp3. 

hifiman products are bricks!

I'd probably take the Sony Z if you're willing to stick with the internal storage.

Though listen to Lee, he is far more experience in high end DAP's than myself. :smile: And also one of my best friends on Head-Fi! Aren't you Lee. :cool:

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #29 of 29
Yeah, yeah.... lol
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back