Looking for my perfect set of cans
Jul 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Geckster

New Head-Fier
I'm hoping I can get a little guidance, as I'm in over my head, and out of my league. Firstly, let me say that I am by know means an audiophile, but I am looking to get started down the right path. I'm looking for a decent set of over the ear headphones, and I'm open to any brand. I have a price that I would like to spend of $200.00 but I don't really have a budget per se.

Here's a few random details:

I love the sound of the M50's
I loathe Beats ( all my friends have them and cannot hear how horrible they sound)
I would have already purchased the M50's if it were not for the length of the cord.
I want something that I can listen to for 2-3 hours at a time.
I'm not interested in true noise cancelling headphones as I'm not willing to sacrifice quality.
I listen to a lot of classical and blues. A few of my favorite artists include Adele, the Beatles, Ray LaMontagne, Sara Bareilles Stevie Ray Vaughan but I'll usually listen to anything aside from hard rock and rap/hip-hop.
I prefer vinyl over digital any day, but my collection is small. The primary use of the headphones will be for an ipod though.

I would like to make a purchase within the next month. I've been searching for the perfect set for me, but I feel lost right now.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 20
Those look great, thanks! I love the detachable cord, but it is quite lengthy. I'm assuming that when buying a decent set of cans the 9.8' cord will probably be the average length.

Secondly, with the 64 Ohms, will I need a amplifier?

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 20
My 2 cents:

V-Moda M-80

Fischer Audio FA-003

Beyerdynamic T50p

Shure 840/940

D2000

Phillips Uptown

Ultrasone 780/750 Pro/580

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 20
Try the Sennheiser HD25-1 II's. Very portable, isolate well, short cable, easy to drive, offer a better sound than the M50's, and are very comfortable with the velour pads.

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 20
Okay, I've checked out the recommended headphones and they all seem to have great elements that I've been looking for. I like the reviews I've read on the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's, as well as the Fischer Audio FA-003's. I have had a hard time in locating a retailer for those though. The Shure's that were suggested don't seem to fit me, if only for the size itself. Coupled with the fact they seem to be for in-home use only, they along with a few others don't do much for me.

I did get a recommendation from a coworker who suggested I check out the beyerdynamic dt1350's. Are these any good, or are they worth the extra $100.00 investment? Still not sure I want to pay $300.00 just yet.

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 20
Like I said, I want short(er) cord, preferably detachable but not a game changer if it isn't, and something that I can feel comfortable taking to work, flying with, or relaxing at home with. Some of these models look like they're strictly studio cans.

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
I did get a recommendation from a coworker who suggested I check out the beyerdynamic dt1350's. Are these any good, or are they worth the extra $100.00 investment? Still not sure I want to pay $300.00 just yet.

Haven't heard the HD25s, but the 1350s are great little portables and a solid value at their price point. Both Jude of Head-fi and Tyll of Inner Fidelity compared them head to head, so search out those reviews for more info. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
My 2 cents:

V-Moda M-80

Fischer Audio FA-003

Beyerdynamic T50p

Shure 840/940

D2000

Phillips Uptown

Ultrasone 780/750 Pro/580

I'm very interested to know about the bass performanceof Shure 940. How it compares to ATH M50 or ATH Pro700MK 2? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #12 of 20
So sorry... won't be able to comment technically on that. But 940s give good quality bass which do not meddle the mids. Apparently better amped.

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #13 of 20
bass on the 940 is tight n lean...hmmm i wont be looking for bass if i pick up this can again..
but for guitars, strings, this can is very very enjoyable.

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #14 of 20
There's one little, but very important detail I forgot to include. I wear glasses, and cannot bear the feeling of contacts. Are the 1350 or any of the other headphone considered problematic for users with eyeglasses?

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
There's one little, but very important detail I forgot to include. I wear glasses, and cannot bear the feeling of contacts. Are the 1350 or any of the other headphone considered problematic for users with eyeglasses?

Possibly...some headphones have more clamp than others and this can put pressure against where the frame of your glasses rest on top of your ear. The 1350s have moderate clamping force, I'd say, so it's possible it might be problematic. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back