Looking for IEMs in the $500 range
Aug 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

ericeng91

New Head-Fier
Hi all, it's been a while since I posted on here. Last time I was here, you guys helped me find my Head Direct RE0s.  These are great, but I think I'm ready for an upgrade.  I've chosen a budget range of $450-$550.  Of course I can go lower, but that is the ball park I'm looking for.  To give more details on my preferred listening style, I am led to believe that I really like a neutral sound.  I listen to a mix of jazz, classic rock, edm, and a mix of other music. Quite a large variety.  

So far, I've compiled a list (with a little help), but I want your guys' take on it all and any other recommendations for what I'm looking for.

Westone 4
Etymotic ER-4PT
Ultimate Ears 900
Shure 535
Heir Audio 4.Ai
1964Ears 1964-Q
1964Ears 1964-V3

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 49
If you enjoy a really neutral sound then I would definitely check out the FitEar 111. Although for the genres you've listed, I can say that the ASG-2, Heaven V, and Flat-4 will perform wonderfully as well, even if none of them have a flat FR

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 49
You would probably consider the Sony ex1000s, they sound very neutral and unique comparing to the most of other earphones I have heard so far (ie8, ie80, se535, tf10, er4s, she9900, ex500, ex700, UM2 and so on), the bass is not strong but neutral and there is nothing with too much coloringwould be found the ex1000 earphones. They are probably too neutral for some of you, indeed on the other hand, some people like it tho. The only issue is you may experience some harshness on extremely high pitch, I would more say them as monitors.

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 49
So I started looking into all the suggestions some more.  

First off, the Sm64 may be out of contention here.  Often time, I don't want to deal with an amp or have room for one and at 98 ohm impedance, it sounds like I would always need one to run these things.  Correct me if I'm wrong though!  They look great, just wouldn't fit my purpose as well as others would.

I'm reading more into the Sony ex1000s.  Saw a couple good reviews, but want to find some more reviews on them.  So that will happen throughout this weekend.

I found a pair of FitEars F111, are they really $600?  I know this is still within the upper bounds of my price range, but it keeps bugging me that there are some IEMs almost $200 cheaper that are still competing with the F111s fairly well.  Like the ex1000s, I'll keep reading reviews on them, but my main concern is the price.  

Anymore suggestions for me to look at? Or tips on what to stay away from?  Thanks everyone for all your help so far.

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #8 of 49
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, or if this is regular pricing, but the Weston 4Rs are on amazon for 325.  The W4 is on for 318.  Seems like the review on here are saying they are in the mid 400s range.  

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 49
For the W4rs, the current price you see is great, normally they are priced over 400 bucks. No ideas on the FitEar F111, but the FitEar to go 334 are amazingly great and impressive, and priced at 1200+.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #11 of 49
If neutrality is your game, then the FE111, RE-400, and ER-4 are what I'd be looking at. Out of all of those, I'd spring for the 111 simply due to comfort/build quality coming up short on the other two. The 111 is the closest thing to the ER-4 I believe. I think it's more robust in the bass department as well as projecting a "better" stage. Well worth looking into in any case.

The SM64 can be driven from a portable just fine, any old DAP/smartphone can drive it sufficiently. I'm not sure whether it benefits from amping (Shigzeo says no), but I never found myself thinkin that they came up short in any area just straight out of an iPhone. Great phones too btw

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #12 of 49
Anyone know where I can get a set of F111s?  Musica seems to be out of stock since june.  Was wondering what the selling price of these were.  More specifically, sites that ship to the US

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:
How about just jumping into customs? 1964 Ears V3's. They would be under your $500.

That's the way I would go.

I definitely am considering CIEMS and the V3s too, but I'm more concerned about the quality and the balance of them.  Do the V3s offer a more neutral sound and a better experience than the F111s or any other of the iems I named?  The V3s definitely are towards the top of my list though.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:
First off, the Sm64 may be out of contention here.  Often time, I don't want to deal with an amp or have room for one and at 98 ohm impedance, it sounds like I would always need one to run these things.  Correct me if I'm wrong though!  They look great, just wouldn't fit my purpose as well as others would.

Don't worry. You can plug it directly to any common DAPs such as ipod / sony walkman. The sound is still good even without an external amp. 

98ohm will save you from hiss in future if you wanna pair it with ALO RX MK3 or ALO Continental V3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back