Looking for Headphones with good bass impact without hurting the treble and mids.
Nov 19, 2012 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

CurtCorps

New Head-Fier
 I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones on a budget of 300 dollars. I listen to a lot of dubstep and really any other music with a strong bass line, but at the same time I listen to a lot of classical music and classic rock. So I don't want a headphone with over powering bass. I'm relatively new to higher quality to higher end audio, but I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595s. I must say I'm quite happy with them, although it is not running through a dedicated headphone amp. The Sennheisers are running through a old Pioneer stereo amplifier (which doesn't always work great). I've been looking at some Beyerdynamics, [size=small]Audio-Technicas, and Grados. I'm not sure if my lack of lower end bass is a product of my non-fully functioning Pioneer amp or just the Sennhesiers. Should go for a dedicated headphone amp (if so suggest some), or a new pair of headphones?[/size]

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
 I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones on a budget of 300 dollars. I listen to a lot of dubstep and really any other music with a strong bass line, but at the same time I listen to a lot of classical music and classic rock. So I don't want a headphone with over powering bass. I'm relatively new to higher quality to higher end audio, but I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595s. I must say I'm quite happy with them, although it is not running through a dedicated headphone amp. The Sennheisers are running through a old Pioneer stereo amplifier (which doesn't always work great). I've been looking at some Beyerdynamics, [size=small]Audio-Technicas, and Grados. I'm not sure if my lack of lower end bass is a product of my non-fully functioning Pioneer amp or just the Sennhesiers. Should go for a dedicated headphone amp (if so suggest some), or a new pair of headphones?[/size]

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Heya,

The HD595's are notoriously different from typical Sennheisers, lean on the bass, shrilly treble. It's the headphone.

AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone PRO 750, Ultrasone HFI 2400, Ultrasone PRO 2500
Hifiman HE-400 (used)
Beyer DT770, DT880, DT990 PRO
AKG K167, AKG K267

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back