looking for headphones for everyday/library use
Dec 11, 2010 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

ggajako

New Head-Fier
I'm pretty new to all this so bear with me
I'm looking for a set of headphones for library/study/everyday use under $100 and will be running it out of my laptop and ipod nano

Looking for:
sound quality
comfort
portability/durability
isolation/no leakage
no IEMs (they get annoying in my ears)
preferably circumaural but supraural is ok too

What i'm looking at so far:
JVC HAS700
AT ES7
px200 II

Which one do you think is best for my needs? I'm open to more suggestions as well

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 44
Some additional recommendations for ya:

Shure SRH440

Sennheiser HD 228, HD 428, HD 448

Sony MDR-V6, MDR-7506

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 44
You'll probably want a pair that sound good with weak sources.  Not to offend you in any way, but I I can noticeably tell the difference in SQ between my Xonar DX and Nano (when using my HD555's).

I can't tell nearly as much of a difference between the same two sources when I'm using my PL-30s though, but those are IEMs.

Otherwise I don't personally have many experiences yet with portable phones which are more forgiving for their sources.  I'm getting a pair of HD 205's soon and can give you my feedback on that, but from what I've heard they've got good SQ and isolation but lack in the comfort department (thinking of modding the pads, will almost definitely stretch the headband a bit too).

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 44
After owning both the HAS700 and ES7, I can easily say they both have some serious tradeoffs. The HAS700 sounds great for the price, is extremely comfortable, isolates/has very minimal leakage, and is pretty cheap for the quality you get, it just doesn't compare at all to the ES7. The ES7 blows away the HAS700 in sound quality, but is extremely uncomfortable even after the metal bending mod, doesn't isolate too well/leaks a bit more. I think the HAS700 is a very safe purchase for the low price. It wouldn't hurt to try it. They look fantastic for being fully over ear.

I haven't heard the PX200-II, but I'd wanna try them at some point. I just don't like the Sennheiser house sound, so it turns me off from even considering them.

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 44
Thanks for all info guys. I was actually looking in to the M50s but they were a little to pricy for my budget. Poor college student here so even a $100 is a huge investment for a pair of headphones at this point.

Updated list:
HAS700
ES7
HD228

I'm leaning towards the ES7s due to sound quality/value. Looks are a plus too. But how's the leakage on the ES7s? Do you think they would be ok in a quiet library?

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 44
I use my HD-555s in a library. Unless you love listening to your music obnoxiously loud, you should be fine with any type of headphones in a library environment.

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 44
Among those 3 I would choose the ES7s. I experienced minimal leakage when wearing them but you may find it different if you have an overly large head/ears or something. Find a store to try it out.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 44
alright final decision: ES7s

thanks for all the help guys. i really appreciate it given that i know little about headphones at the moment. but i'm starting to get in to it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 44
Wow, I don't know about the es7 for library use, just my opinion.  right when I put them on I can feel pressure on the ears. After 15 mins, my ears start to feel very minimum pain.by 25 mins. my ears are red and by thirty mins. those things are off my ears because my ears start to feel tender.  If I give them 5 mins. break I can put them on for a little bit more.  I some what enjoy the es7, but they are pretty uncomfortable headphones. Just something to think about.  For quick listening or short commute they are fine to me.

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 44
I for one will never again make the mistake of sacrificing comfort for sound quality. I wouldn't wear the ES7's even if they were given to me for free. They are that painful. A good trade off for me was the Creative Aurvana Live (same drivers as Denon D1001). They don't isolate the best, but they do keep noise from leaking well enough for library use. They are also very comfortable, and rival the ES7 and M50s when it comes to music. $70 on Amazon last I checked.

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 44

Quote:
I for one will never again make the mistake of sacrificing comfort for sound quality. I wouldn't wear the ES7's even if they were given to me for free. They are that painful. A good trade off for me was the Creative Aurvana Live (same drivers as Denon D1001). They don't isolate the best, but they do keep noise from leaking well enough for library use. They are also very comfortable, and rival the ES7 and M50s when it comes to music. $70 on Amazon last I checked.

I agree.  The only headphone that I sold because they are so uncomfortable.  The C. aurvana live looks interesting. They look better than the Denon D1001 in the picture.

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 44
If you can get past the 'Creative' logo on the cups, they are actually quite sexy too. :wink:

By comparison, the M50 is more aggressive in the treble, and the ES7 is even more aggressive than the M50. Otherwise, their sound is quite similar. The Creative Aurvana Live is about the warmest headphone I would go for, as I don't like warm headphones. The treble is smooth compared to the ES7 and M50 but not by much..

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 44
   The m50 sounds better to me although like you said less forward.  The mids on the M50 are slightly behind the highs and bass.  The M50 bass goes much deeper than the es7 and the es7 are more upper mid bass focus.  The es7 treble to me are more piercing than the m50.  but at the same time I find the M50 bass to drown out the mids and highs more often than the es7.  In the end, I like the M50 as they are more flexible with various genre and their sound signature are not as fatiguing as the es7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back