Listening Fatigue w/ Denon D2000
Jan 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jiggahwhat

100+ Head-Fier
So I had the Denon D2000 for a year and while it's a great headphone, it just isn't that great in everyday use. In particular I experience a lot of listening fatigue due to the sharp highs.

So I need a change. What I need from this headphone if I get it is less bright highs, perhaps a more pronounced midrange, and a bonus would be something that is less unwieldy and clumsy to put on my head.

The highs are the main problem because it can be very fatiguing. 

What should I go for?

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 28
If you want none fatiguing highs, you shouldn't be looking into the M-50s. Although they don't have piercing highs, they do have sharp highs that could be sibilant with some recordings. Also they aren't very comfortable for long uses. I would recommend something like the Mad Dogs if you can find them for a good price on the FS forums, or maybe the HD 598 for the pronounced mids that you mentioned. It is an overall warm sounding headphone so, you might look there. I would not describe the M-50s as being warm, I would say that their mids are slight recessed even.

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 28
Yes, I think you described it well, I want a warmer headphone. Something where I can listen for 5-6 hours and not be fatigued. 

I want bass comparable to the D2000 given I listen to electronic music (house and techno) a lot. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 28
AKG K550?

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 28
Mad Dogs with a FiiO E11. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 28
A900X? That said I'm not sure if the highs are that different to the D2k, airier, yes. Less prone to sibilance? Unsure. I'll do a little A/B with my D5ks and A900X then report back.

EDIT: The A900X isn't really suitable if you think the D2000 is sibilant. The A900X are slightly sharper in the highs.

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 28
Why don't you just take it down to the Cal/Denon AH-D1000  Both have the same Foster/Fostex Branded drivers as their Big Brothers, D2000/5000/7000?  But offer a warmer tone,
or are you after Higher End? does it need to be closed?

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 28
I guess I don't have to downgrade but the choices above a D2000 will require a good amp which will run me at least 300 I suppose. 

The reason why I have had this change of heart is because I used a Sennheiser CX330 IEM for an extended period of time recently and I found it far less fatiguing. I could listen for 6 hours straight without problems using that IEM. With the D2000 I was never able to listen more than one album at a time because it just became too uncomfortable, which I surmise is due to the highs. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
I guess I don't have to downgrade but the choices above a D2000 will require a good amp which will run me at least 300 I suppose. 

The reason why I have had this change of heart is because I used a Sennheiser CX330 IEM for an extended period of time recently and I found it far less fatiguing. I could listen for 6 hours straight without problems using that IEM. With the D2000 I was never able to listen more than one album at a time because it just became too uncomfortable, which I surmise is due to the highs. 

Mad Dogs with FiiO E11 will be $300
size]

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

It sounds like you want a smooth type sound.  I don't have a lot of feedback for you but maybe check out some Sennheiser models as well.  All day kind of comfort, a smooth pleasing sound, most run fine off ipod/daps.   Anything 598 and down would be good un-amped, of course a amp helps but is not needed.  My pic is the sweet spot  , the HD 558...

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 28
philips uptown ...or HM5...
these are comfy.. highs are not shrilly..warm sounding...good isolation.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:
philips uptown ...or HM5...
these are comfy.. highs are not shrilly..warm sounding...good isolation.

Although the Philips Uptown headphone are very comfortable for the price, they don't have nearly the amount of bass the D2Ks do. So I would recommend against getting those. Also I'm guessing you are wanting a closed set of cans for the isolation. So my previous recommendation for the HD598s will not do well in the noise isolation department. If that isn't an issue than they are great warm sounding cans. Another headphone you could look at are the V-Moda M-80 and M-100. They both have similar signature to the D2Ks, but with less emphasis on the mids unfortunately. Honestly it's hard to beat the Mrspeakers Mad Dogs for closed headphones.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:
What about the Hifiman HE-400? That one sounds like it fits my needs. 

HE-400 are open headphones, and don't isolate sound at all. They also leak a lot of sound out as well. Like Raven said they are an upgrade from the D2K. I would agree that a pair of CAL! would probably suit much of your needs, although I have read that their mids are somewhat recessed as well. They do have a more balanced sound then the M-50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back