List of DACs that work with iPad
Jul 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #721 of 963
The E17 and MicroStreamer definitely have different sounds out of the iPad.  To me, the treble of the HRT device is sweeter-sounding.  The E17 has more functionality, though (bass/treble controls, can be used as a separate amp).  

Hope this helps.

Between E17 and HRT MicroStreamer, which sound better in term of soundstage and separation?

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #722 of 963
Quote:
Between E17 and HRT MicroStreamer, which sound better in term of soundstage and separation?

They both provide a good soundstage.  The strength of the microStreamer over the E17 is in treble clarity.  I think the difference in this is the DAC as opposed to the amp used in each device, as the microStreamer sounds great from the line out through the E17 in amp-only mode -- better than the E17 as a DAC/amp.  

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #724 of 963
bummer. have you tried it with a usb hub in the chain? mine is still working with an odac, through a 4 port dlink hub (unpowered), post-update.

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #728 of 963
You may need a hub.  I tried a similar cable with the E17 and the iPad 2 with CCK and got the "too much power" message.  But, through a hub, I was able to get the E17 to work with the iPad and CCK.  

With the Fiio E7 everything worked fine so long as the unit was on internal battery power and not USB recharge. With the Aune T1 tube dac/amp I found that I got the "low power" message on my iPad 3, even though the Aune is a plug in unit that doesn't draw power from the USB. I put. A small powered hub between the I pad and the Aune and all works fine.

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #729 of 963

You may need a hub.  I tried a similar cable with the E17 and the iPad 2 with CCK and got the "too much power" message.  But, through a hub, I was able to get the E17 to work with the iPad and CCK.

Hmm... I'll try. Thank you!

As reported earlier the following hub is the best 9 bucks I've spent.  Works with Dragonfly and many other portable DACs and iPad/iPhone/iPod Classic with CCK.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-90-degree-angled-male-to-2-female-extension-data-hub-rainbow-color-cable/111116825157?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D17514%26meid%3D1450118330382014321%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D8141%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D110855033353%26

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #730 of 963
Update - after iOS6.3.1 disabled USB audio out of the CCK, i felt I ahd nothing to lose trying iOS7. Guess what - USB audio works again!
biggrin.gif
(Except I don't really know what to do with it now that I have my SGS3 set up with a 32gb card in it).

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #731 of 963
Hi everyone!

This is to report the compatibility of iPad mini (iOS7) via Apple Lightning USB Camera Adapter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=3a) with M2Tech HiFace DAC (http://www.m2tech.biz/hiface_dac.html).

Thanks to a very smart energy management implemented by M2Tech (the device claims only 100mA from the host), M2Tech HiFace DAC is recognized and initialized by iPad Mini.

However, there are sound issues with the stock Music app - pops and clicks throughout the sound.

THe good news is that I have NO such unwanted pops and clicks if I play music via Capriccio (http://www.head-fi.org/t/593725/capriccio-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch), playing either the existign iPad collection, or Capriccio file system lossless FLACs.

Will also test it with 8Player streaming music via DLNA, and report back.

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #733 of 963
Update - after iOS6.3.1 disabled USB audio out of the CCK, i felt I ahd nothing to lose trying iOS7. Guess what - USB audio works again! :D (Except I don't really know what to do with it now that I have my SGS3 set up with a 32gb card in it).

iOS 7 and 7.02 work through the CCK from the iPhone as well!

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #734 of 963
  They both provide a good soundstage.  The strength of the microStreamer over the E17 is in treble clarity.  I think the difference in this is the DAC as opposed to the amp used in each device, as the microStreamer sounds great from the line out through the E17 in amp-only mode -- better than the E17 as a DAC/amp.  

I totally concur w/ your findings!  My buddy has an E17, and we drew down (as we called it, LOL) between the HRT microStreamer (my review & dedicated microStreamer thread HERE if anybody's interested) and the E17 on my iPad(2).  I also found the upper end in the microStreamer had far more bloom and sparkle I also attributed that to its DAC, though none of us can be completely sure.

and yeah -  my friend tried from the line out through the E17 - they made a better combo IMO than the E17 alone for sure.

I was PUMPED to read about the only thing I'm enjoying about iOS7 on my iPad (aside of the look, which I like, but have to get accustomed):
Being able to use my ALO International w/ my iPad via the CCK:

We (my wifey Alexandra and I) enjoyed our morning tea and coffee outside
on the porch as usual, but this time with a new system to try!!  I loved the combination,
as I've consistently written about my love for my LCD3 + ALO International combo.

I typically use that combo w/ my Astell&Kern AK100 - but this was FUN too.
My wifey was also having a BLAST:

Listening to Matisyahu's Live at Stubbs as we bask in the morning air on our
new property in Sonoma County!

The sound was both liquid (as in sound waves propagating/rippling over an audible pond)
and controlled without sounding held-back and safe - which is what I HATE about so many
high end audio two-channel in-room system components today!

Like many of the supposedly sate-of-the-art tube in-room stereo amps for example, no more all out sonic
assaults like OG VTL's and CJ!  Now (even VTL today) have so much protective circuitry, auto-bias,
and other things in the signal path that so many things sound just safe, polite...

Thank you personal audio!
This lil' system sounded fierce when it needed to be, and also quiet when that was required.
A great way to start the day!!

This actually inspired me, as I've been battling what to write about for my next
What is the Future of the High End series for PFO!!

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #735 of 963

Users who are viewing this thread

Back