Liquid midrange headphones. 100-300$
Oct 12, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
How are people picking anything other than the K501? I love my HF-1s, but for liquid midrange, there's no competition to AKG.

I agree completely, though I think that the K501's are more on the neutral side when compared to the K340 and the K271S/K240S.

Oct 12, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
How are people picking anything other than the K501? I love my HF-1s, but for liquid midrange, there's no competition to AKG.

While I liked the K501's midrange, it's not especially liquid to my ears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
I voted DT880, not sure what liquid means though, but I thought the midrange on the DT880 was lovely and smooth.

I agree, the midrange has a liquid-smooth quality similar to the HD 650, just that it's somewhat recessed -- so the DT 880 as a whole doesn't appear as overly liquid (IMO).

peacesign.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
I agree, the midrange has a liquid-smooth quality similar to the HD 650, just that it's somewhat recessed -- so the DT 880 as a whole doesn't appear as overly liquid (IMO).

The 650 is smooth too I agree, but for some reason I remember the DT880 more for this, I guess it was the "sexy" sounding female vocals it had that really stuck in my mind.

Oct 12, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by evil-zen
I would say the older model Sony CD1700 is the most liquid headphones I've tried. Next will be the ATs like w100 or A900.

The A900 has an incredibly sucked out midrange.
blink.gif

I've heard the CD1700 a couple times, though I can't really remember what its midrange was like... but I know it didn't jump out at me. Overall though, these headphones are a great deal if you can get them in good condition used.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
I guess it was the "sexy" sounding female vocals it had that really stuck in my mind.

When I heard the DT880's at the Chicago meet I remember this was the thing that struck me about them as well... great with the female vocals. I remember the guitar being a little off though, and that has always been my 'benchmark' for the midrange.

Oct 12, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 55
Just for reference, liquid midrange to my ears means Stax Omega IIs and R10s.

In your price range, HD650 midrange is smooth, but I wouldn't call it liquid. From your list, I only heard the HF-1, so I am not really qualified to vote. However, I would say the HF-1 with modded senn pads has more liquid midrange compared to the HD650.

---Pat

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #22 of 55
HD650 does not qualify due to associated costs. when you factor in the amplification and source requirement... youre looking at over $600. Sure the can by itself is around $300, but youre not going to want to listen to it as a solo act IMHO.

HF1 gets my vote, of the cans on that list, and you still have $100 for a pimeta or mint.
K240s mids a very smooth.. and you still have $200 for a millet hybrid... silky smooth mids IMHO.

I havent heard an SA5000 or A900 so I am not going to cast a vote.

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #24 of 55
It is VERY hard to beat the magical mids of Grados - the strongest point of these cans, especially with guitar and vocals. Since your poll has just one, I picked HF-1.

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #25 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by das_bill
I am looking for a good set of very "liquid" or "musical" headphones. I really like the sound of my ATH A500s but I also love the sound of my etys. I liked both sennheisers and grados when I listened to them but the lower end grados seem to be a little harsh.

With that said what are some good choices in the 100-300 price range.

It's interesting you use the word "liquid" and "etys" in adjacent sentences b/c ety sound would be the antithesis of liquid. So I believe you don't really mean "liquid," b/c real live music is not liquid.

You probably meant to say midrange that is even and balanced without peaks or valleys and faithful to the true-to-life micro-textures and inflections with intact harmonics therefore density and richness, which yields side-to-side and back-and-forth 3-D dimensionality that fools you into thinking the singer is RIGHT THERE in front of you. But I get ahead of myself...

Oct 12, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #26 of 55
Live music isn't liquid? What shows are you going to? Though I agree with your point, etys sound harsh and etched and are as far from liquid in the mids as you can get.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Live music isn't liquid? What shows are you going to? Though I agree with your point, etys sound harsh and etched and are as far from liquid in the mids as you can get.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with the above
etysmile.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #29 of 55
I think i just like the neutrality of the etys. Like Jon L said. Which is why i was considering the K501. This budget doesn't include an amp. I figure I will get a Gilmore Lite in time. But until then I will have a portable amp only.

I have heard the term liquid used when describing many high end amps and headphones so why not use that to describe a can i want!! haha.

Well thanks for the input guys. Your responses have been very helpful I think I am looking for more of a flat sound so the grados are a maybe I have liked what I have heard but it hasn't blown me away. Though when I heard the RS-1s they sounded damn good. I coudn't decide between recabled 650s and RS-1s when I listened to both. I liked the 595s but they sounded grainy which is not musical liquid or smooth.

I really don't think my ety's are harsh either. So maybe grado's wouldn't bother me. I think i'll borrow my friends SR 80s for a week.

Oct 12, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
etymotics aren't harsh, how dare you! *rains fire upon jahn and philodox* die heretics!

hehehe... yes they are.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back