Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Jan 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #766 of 1,075
The 6 is rated for a little more power than the 4.  I'm not sure how that varies with the different op amps but my UHA-4 with the AD8610 works pretty nicely even with my modded T50RPs at low and medium volumes so something more efficient like Grados should be fine.

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #767 of 1,075
It's only a 10mW difference between the two, so I'll assume it would be fine. I tend to do most of my listening at medium to quiet volumes anyway.

Mostly concerned since I've heard people say that Grados aren't very efficient and need a lot of current (not that I've had a problem driving them before...).

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #768 of 1,075
I double checked it and the difference was less than I remembered.  Only about 1 extra dB, so you should be fine.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #769 of 1,075
So, you guys were not kidding about the sound of this little thing. Mine arrived yesterday (thank you, wife of awesomeness), and even with only about 12 hours of burn-in on this OPA209 version, the sound is fantastic. I can't say I've heard a ton of different amps, but this blows the ones I have heard away (including my CR-440 and SX-626).

I would describe it as fairly neutral with a ton of energy, with excellent instrument separation and soundstaging. A great match for my MS1is, which are going off for Magnum-ising next week - a combo which I cannot wait to hear.

Between the sound quality, the digital volume control, mute feature, and, oh yeah, DAC function, I am very, very impressed so far.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #771 of 1,075
After having mine for a bit longer and spending more time with other headphones the UHA-4 really rocks with full size headphones as well.

I really like how my K601s and modded T50RPs do with it.  Its not quite headbanging volume but I usually listen quietly anyway.  I don't even need the extra power of my Objective2 unless I'm killing the headroom by adding plenty of EQ, usually for movies.  I really think this thing is a great value.  The small size, built in DAC, digital volume control, crossfeed, and ability to drive a wide range of 'phones is a great deal even at the current and higher price of $200.  The original price of $170 was a steal.

Somehow I missed this when I was shopping around before I bought my XM6.  It has some advantages to the UHA-4 but I think the UHA-4 is better for me since I usually use IEMs away from home.  Its a DAC at the office, streaming Pandora One all day, with my netbook somewhere else, or as a pocketable way to add crossfeed to my DAP.  The fact that it can drive full size headphones also helps because I will use it at home over my desktop setup with things like games or streaming music/video that I can't add binaural DSP to because I always need my crossfeed.

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #772 of 1,075
May I have some new comparisons with the TTVJ Slim? I found I liked the slim better than the uha-120 I listened to (although that was colorful and nice). Preferably from someone who has both.

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #773 of 1,075
Hello,

I would like to buy a new can with an amp but the choice is difficult.
For the amp, i don't want to spend a lot of money and my choice are:
iBasso D-Zero
FIIO E11 or E7 (with DAC)
Neco Soundlab V3 : not very mini portable amp :frowning2:
Leckerton Audio Slimine UH4-4
Headstage Arrow 4G (but it's very difficult to be delivery so it will not be my final choice)
It's better if i can have a DAC for use with my MBP13"
And It is especially to listen some music outside (i have an ipod classic 4th or iphone 4)

And for the can, i like :
AKG K271 MKII : not very expensive, very neutral but lack of bass
DT 770 PRO 250 ohms : nice but a lot of bass
DT 880 PRO 250 ohms or 600 ohms : perhaps difficult to drive and semi-open

I think the Leckerton is a good amp but i don't know if it's ok with these fullsize headphone.

I read a lot of review and the AKG is very interesting but lot of people speak about the lack of bass :frowning2:
For the lack of bass of the AKG, the amp can improve this weak point ?

If you have any suggestion, it would be great.
And someone speaks about the possibly of change the opamp... Some people prefer the OPA209 instead the AD8610ARZ.
And for $50 it's very interesting to take the OPA267 ? it's depend of the music's style (i listen rock, pop-rock, trip hop, rock seventies and a little bit classic).

Thanks a lot !

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #774 of 1,075
IME the UHA-4 sounds just fine with full size headphones.  The limiting factor is just the volume.

After running the numbers, the K271s will give you the most volume from the UHA-4 and will get to to "live" levels with even well recorded classical with high dynamic range.  The 250 ohm Beyers should probably be ok given the usual dynamic range of the music you listed.  The 32 ohm Beyers will go a little louder (3-4 dB) but are usually more expensive than the 250 ohm pro versions.  The 600 ohm Beyers aren't necessarily "hard to drive" but they are hard to get lots of volume out of.  Higher impedances almost always reduce the amp's distortion because they draw less current so the sound will be clean from even a weak amp but it just won't get very loud.

Since the DT770s have pretty good isolation you'll probably be ok with the 250 ohm version unless you insist on head-baning, rocking out type volumes.  If you do, the K271s will deliver from the UHA-4.  The DT880s are marketed as "semi-open" but they really have no better isolation than anything described as "fully open" including Beyer's own DT990s.

According to iBasso's specs the D Zero has another 3.5 dB over the UHA-4 but I'm not sure I trust their numbers as much as Leckerton's considering that Nick actually puts up articles indicating that he knows what he's talking about and because of how he answered a few technical questions I emailed him before I bought my UHA-4.

About your other choices, I know the E11 has been reputably measured to have about as much power the D Zero is rated for, I'm not sure about the E17, and don't know anything about the Neco but if you want to go with something more transportable than pocketable the Objective2 will drive even the 600 ohm Beyers as loud as most people will need from batter power.  I use the Objective2 as my main amp at home and it easily competes with mains powered desktop amps so if you don't mind the bulk you won't have to sacrifice power or quality.

If you're mostly going to be using it with a laptop then its probably best to get a DAC/amp combo.  The quality of headphone outs on laptops can vary quite a lot even within the same brand so IMO its best to get something that will work well with whatever sort of computer you happen to end up with.  You probably don't want to have to add a decent sound chip to your list of requirements when you can add an external DAC instead.  A small one box solution is usually more convenient as well.

My personal opinion is that the choice of op amps is just a marketing gimmick.  I've tried op amp rolling in other equipment and haven't noticed anything.  Of course the chips in the UHA-4 aren't socketed and I've never heard another UHA-4 besides my own with the standard AD8610 so I couldn't tell your for sure.  I wouldn't worry about it though.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #775 of 1,075
If you want bass options get the Arrow.  It also has treble options as well.  IMO, the Arrow 4G is still the best and most slim option out there unless you have specific needs like digital pot.  Why I still have mine.

I've tried the OPA627, OPA209 and AD8610 in the UHA6S.  They sound nothing alike other than they produce music.  I could pick those three out with one ear tied behind my back so yes they matter IME.  Not sure how the other two sound in the UHA4 but the AD8610 has the same signature in both Leckerton amps, just different drive and transparency levels.  Don't get caught up in the price of the 627, more money  doesn't mean better.  The OPA209 is cheap as hell by comparison.  The 627 has a specific signature if you want to synergize with say a bright, dry, thinner sounding phone.  The AD8610 is a 'fun' sounding opamp that lacks true inner detail and transparency IMO.  The accentuated treble gives it a false sense of clarity to me and the bass is too bloomy.  Just too colored and unresolving for my tastes, I want my amp to get out of the way of the recording.  The AD8610 is fine if you want to be 'excited' by your amp.

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #776 of 1,075
Thanks a lot for your answer !
So for MaverickRonin, the DT770/32ohm would be good and also the AKG K271MKII with the UH4-4... cool :) in fact can with low impedance !
And for Anaxilus, the AD8610 is fine but deliver a fun sound :)
So Anaxilus, do you prefer the OPA267 or the OPA209 ?
In fact, i like sound bright, clear with generous bass.

So if the AKG K271 MK2 can sound very well with the UHA-4, it can be very nice and perhaps the better opamp in this case is the OPA267.
I sent an email via the website so i'm waiting the answer :)

Thanks a lot.

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #777 of 1,075
267 or 627?  627 is on the darker side but is more transparent than the 8610.  For bright and 'generous' bass go for the AD8610.  Sounds right up your alley.  Those phones aren't resolution monsters you should be fine.  The 209 is pretty neutral and very transparent not emphasizing anything.

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #778 of 1,075
Sorry OP627 :)
Yes in fact i read other reviews and i think the BeyerDynamic DT770PRO is better than the AKG K271MK2.
So i think i'm going to choose between the DT770PRO (80 or 250 ohm) and also the Audio Technica ATH-M50 :)
Perhaps the DT770 PRO 80 ohms with the UHA-4. And for the opamp.... hum the DT770PRO have big bass and good high treble so perhaps it's better to be more transparent like the 209 ?
And the ATH-M50 can be good with the 627 no ? I read that the ATH-M50 doesn't need amp... What is your point of view ?
I think the DT770 pro is more comfortable...
Difficult but i'm progressing a lot :)

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #779 of 1,075
I've only heard the 440, 880 and T1 from Beyer.  The 770 sounds like it would be a good pairing w/ the 209 especially considering how Beyer does treble.  M50 would be good w/ the 209 as well as it's balance is similar to a 'U' shape like the 770 you describe though the M50 is very organic and rich sounding.  My M50's were modded though fyi.  

Nothing 'NEEDS' amping if you are happy w/ the volume level you get form your respective source.  If you can discern an appreciable difference in driver dynamics w/ an amp and you accept the compromises in portability and cost then go for it.  If you don't save your money.  For me, I tend to prefer amping because I seem to hear a difference is resolution and technical performance more often than not.  Only a handful of phones IME have not had some sort of benefit audibly.  Others don't seem to notice a difference with just about any phone including the HD800 so it's rather personal and the whole idea is pointless and a waste for them.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #780 of 1,075
Thanks a lot !
I ask some questions to Nick Leckerton by the website but for the moment, no response :frowning2:
I read on the website of Leckerton "All new UHA-6 and UHA-6S amps now include iPad compatibility by default."
It's not ok for the UHA-4 ?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back