Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Oct 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #751 of 1,075

Quote:
Glad to hear you are enjoying the amp. Just you wait til after 50 hours of usage and she'll really start to sing for you :). So you've noticed no hiss with it on high gain? Its very noticeable for me with my re-cabled IE8s and decently noticeable on my FX700s. Not so much on the Denon 5000s though. It does a great job at driving all of the above. Paired with my Sansa Fuze I find it very portable even more so than the iphone 4 alone (the case makes it huge).

I didn't try to listen for hiss with my IEM's on high gain.   I suppose that might show some, but so far the only phones that needed high gain are my 600 ohm DT-880's.  Of course different opamps will vary the amount of hiss present also. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #752 of 1,075
@moodryn, I was of the opinion that I would only perceive a major difference in the sound if I had older recordings with exaggerated stereo separation - I dont get too excited over crossfeed, but some folk seem to get headaches without it. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #753 of 1,075

Quote:
@moodryn, I was of the opinion that I would only perceive a major difference in the sound if I had older recordings with exaggerated stereo separation - I dont get too excited over crossfeed, but some folk seem to get headaches without it. 

Well-implemented crossfeed is most effective with exaggerated separation..with well-recorded music, the effect should be quite subtle.   Probably the best way to evaluate crossfeed is to listen for a fairly long period of time with it on, then listen to the same recording for the same amount of time with it off.   

I also find that the effect of crossfeed is more apparent when using closed phones or IEM's rather than with open-backed phones.  

I find that a properly designed crossfeed allows me to listen for much longer periods of time without fatigue.  I do not use crossfeed when listening to binaural recordings.  

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #754 of 1,075
So guys, I have bit of a problem. After not using my lovely UHA-4 for like month or so, I plugged my hd-650 in them yesterday and for some strange reason it could not drive it. it very very low even with highest power output. What could be the problem? other headphones/earphones are working fine since most of them dont need that much power.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #755 of 1,075

Quote:
So guys, I have bit of a problem. After not using my lovely UHA-4 for like month or so, I plugged my hd-650 in them yesterday and for some strange reason it could not drive it. it very very low even with highest power output. What could be the problem? other headphones/earphones are working fine since most of them dont need that much power.

Try and turn the unit off and on a few times. Maybe try drain the battery and fully charge it. The unit may need to go in for servicing.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #756 of 1,075
Hey guys,

I'm considering the Leckerton UHA-4 as a portable amp for my HD25s and was wondering how they sound with them? I noticed that the UHA-4 is mainly used for IEMs, so I wasn't sure if it would work well with the Senns or not. I was also trying to decide between this and the cheaper Fiio/iBasso amps -- any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #758 of 1,075

Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm considering the Leckerton UHA-4 as a portable amp for my HD25s and was wondering how they sound with them? I noticed that the UHA-4 is mainly used for IEMs, so I wasn't sure if it would work well with the Senns or not. I was also trying to decide between this and the cheaper Fiio/iBasso amps -- any suggestions?

Thanks!

I recall it paired quite well.  The UHA-4 works really well with most lowish impedance headphones.

Nov 19, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #761 of 1,075

Quote:
Alright, that sounds good. Which of the opamps would be the best fit?

"Best" is sort of hard to define, as so much depends upon personal preferences and headphones.   Being familiar with the 8610, 627 and 209, I chose the 209 as it is well-balanced and less aggressive than the 8610 and does not emphasize any specific part of the audio spectrum.  The 627 is highly regarded by many, but IMO, it is over-hyped and probably is most suitable for high-end equipment.  It also draws more current than the other two choices and will result in shorter battery run-times.  

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #763 of 1,075
maverickronin casts Life on Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4!

I just got my UHA-4 today with the standard op amp and I'm enjoying the UHA-4 a lot so far.  It has a much lower noise floor than my XM6.  On low gain there's no hiss with my Shure SE530s from the analog input feed by my D2+ and a very slight hiss from USB input.  Its lower gain and perfectly balanced digital volume control mean I don't have to use the software volume control on the PC.  The XM6 locked the Windows volume control and trying to adjust the volume precisely in the YouTube player is AFIK impossible and its a pain in the ass in Pandora.  The UHA-4 doesn't lock it in case anyone is interested.

I'd like the crossfeed to be a tad stronger or adjustable like the XM6's but the UHA-4's seems like its good enough to keep me from getting a headache.  The XM6 also has other nice features I used a lot like separate bass and treble boosts and an adjustable sleep timer along with other features I didn't use too much like an impedance switch, a volt meter to tell you the exact state of the batteries' charge, and even a flashlight mode.  The XM6 also has more power but I didn't use 'phones that needed that power with the XM6 very often.

I haven't done any A/B comparisons yet but it sounds clean, extended, and detailed with both my SE530s and Beyer DT1350s.  Low gain is also enough for the DT1350s from both my D2+ and the internal DAC.

Overall the UHA-4 is looking better for me.  I was hoping it would outdo the XM6 in noise floor and pocketability and it looks like the UHA-4 will replace the XM6.  I'll probably miss the XM6's extra features but the low noise floor and balanced volume control are more important than those other features.

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #764 of 1,075
Quick question (of the possibly stupid variety). The UHA-4 paired with the 209 sounds (on paper) like an awesome match for Grados/Alessandros. I was wondering, however, if it provides enough current to properly drive them.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #765 of 1,075

Quote:
Quick question (of the possibly stupid variety). The UHA-4 paired with the 209 sounds (on paper) like an awesome match for Grados/Alessandros. I was wondering, however, if it provides enough current to properly drive them.

The 209 in my UHA6S had no problem driving the 225, RS1 or Martin Audio Magnums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back