Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Oct 14, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #736 of 1,075

That's correct.  I can only say the AD8610 sounded the same to me in both the UHA4 and UHA6S but I have only heard the OPA209 in the UHA6S and not the UHA4.  So take that for what it's worth.  

Just got my silver LOD today and even this makes a noticeable difference over the Fiio LOD. $80.00 well spent in my opinion. The honeymoon with the UHA4 has been extended :wink:

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #737 of 1,075

Quote:
I have ordered the UHA-4 with OPA209 and have been reviewing the User Manual for this amp and noticed some peculiar wording in the warranty:

Quote........The UHA-4 comes with a Full 2-Year Warranty which covers the
cost of repairs (parts and labor) within the first six months after
original purchase date.......Unquote

What happens after the first 6 months???  Is it a 2 year warranty or 6 months warranty???

Ron, you do not keep amps that long! 
wink.gif
 So don't worry be happy. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #740 of 1,075
I've finally settled in with a Pico Slim for a while - for my oft stated listening habits - low volume and sensitive iem's and headphones, the volume control of that little thing is just nothing short of stunning, and it sounds really, really good.

The little Leckerton surprisingly runs second to it, even compared to the TTVJ Slim, based on both sound and it's volume control.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #742 of 1,075

Quote:
aameford, you change gear like I change my underwear ! Hmm, that reminds me - its laundry day .....

LOL!  Yeah, it's fun for me.  You hang onto more gear than I do, though.  I usually have a pair of headphones, a pair of iem's, an amp and an ipod of some sort, plus an iphone (yeah, apple fanboy, kinda).  I'll admit also that I am generally in love with whatever I have at the moment, so take my comments with that in mind, and I'm kind of a FOTM guy as well...  I am settling down, though I would like to find a pair of portables that are a bit closer in sound to my departed D7000's...  Hey! is it laundry day?  Cheers!

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #743 of 1,075
LOL!  Yeah, it's fun for me.  You hang onto more gear than I do, though.  I usually have a pair of headphones, a pair of iem's, an amp and an ipod of some sort, plus an iphone (yeah, apple fanboy, kinda).  I'll admit also that I am generally in love with whatever I have at the moment, so take my comments with that in mind, and I'm kind of a FOTM guy as well...  I am settling down, though I would like to find a pair of portables that are a bit closer in sound to my departed D7000's...  Hey! is it laundry day?  Cheers!

Then you may be looking for the FX700s for portability. They are really worth the money. Someone on headfi is selling their pair with only 10 hours of usage for $300.00. Mine had 80'hours of usage but I paid $270.00.

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #744 of 1,075

Quote:
Then you may be looking for the FX700s for portability. They are really worth the money. Someone on headfi is selling their pair with only 10 hours of usage for $300.00. Mine had 80'hours of usage but I paid $270.00.

Had to look up the FX700's.  My quads are pretty close to the D7000 as an iem, just a bit less sparkle.  It is the portable on/over ear phones I would like to find with a closer to D7000 signature.  I tried Ultrasones, too bright.  I tried ESW10JPN's, too pretty to take outside, I tried HD25-1-II's - a bit too punchy, and then I tried the DT1350 - very close to just right.... Still keeping my eyes and ears open, though, but I kinda doubt I'll find better for me - probably just different.  Awww, shoot, off topic again.  Did I mention how cool the little Leckerton is?  Small, relatively inexpensive, pretty decent dac, good digital volume...

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #745 of 1,075
Today I received my UHA-4 and must say that it is even smaller than I had expected.  As I am very familiar with the sound characteristics of the 3 opamp choices offered for the UHA-4, I chose the OPA209, as it is well-balanced tonally and is an excellent match with my musical preferences. 

At first listen with my Mg6Pro IEM's and my Sony F1, I find this to be a very nice-sounding amplifier.  As I use crossfeed for most of my headphone listening, I find the implementation used in the UHA-4 to be just right, not too much and not too little.  It is subtle as crossfeed should be.  

After my initial listens with the above phones, I decided to give my DT-880's Dragons a try.  As these are 600 ohms, I switched to high gain and was very impressed with how nicely they sound when driven by this tiny amp.  There is all the volume I want and the amp has yet to sound as if it is struggling. 

I am very well pleased with the sound, and my initial concerns about whether it would work with my Linux USB proved to be groundless, as it was immediately recognized as a USB DAC.   Turn on and turn off have only the tiniest of pops.  I have heard no hiss with the phones I have used thus far.  

I also am pleased with the fit and finish, especially considering the modest cost.  I still haven't figured out whether the warranty is for 6 months or 2 years despite Miguel accusing me of rapid turnover of my amps!  I must agree with Miguel that I too really, really like the volume control, especially when paired with extremely sensitive IEM's.

My thanks to Nick at Leckerton Audio for really doing his homework on this fine little amp!

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #746 of 1,075
I'm glad you like it. Now you see why it was hard for me to get rid of mine. It just sounds too good for the price, and the feature set makes it an even bigger value. I do wish the crossfeed had more effect. I think it's just right for most people because it's subtle and sounds natural with exception to the slight bass boost. Sometimes I just like to have more of an effect with crossfeed. But that's just me. I still use it a lot though. But sound quality, features, size, and build quality makes this one of best values in portable amps imo.

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #747 of 1,075

Quote:
I'm glad you like it. Now you see why it was hard for me to get rid of mine. It just sounds too good for the price, and the feature set makes it an even bigger value. I do wish the crossfeed had more effect. I think it's just right for most people because it's subtle and sounds natural with exception to the slight bass boost. Sometimes I just like to have more of an effect with crossfeed. But that's just me. I still use it a lot though. But sound quality, features, size, and build quality makes this one of best values in portable amps imo.

Are you sure it increased bass? Maybe its a perceived effect due to how it cuts back on the mids and highs. Slightly dulls them in a way or pulls them more in the center if you will.

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #748 of 1,075

Glad to hear you are enjoying the amp. Just you wait til after 50 hours of usage and she'll really start to sing for you :). So you've noticed no hiss with it on high gain? Its very noticeable for me with my re-cabled IE8s and decently noticeable on my FX700s. Not so much on the Denon 5000s though. It does a great job at driving all of the above. Paired with my Sansa Fuze I find it very portable even more so than the iphone 4 alone (the case makes it huge).
Quote:
Today I received my UHA-4 and must say that it is even smaller than I had expected.  As I am very familiar with the sound characteristics of the 3 opamp choices offered for the UHA-4, I chose the OPA209, as it is well-balanced tonally and is an excellent match with my musical preferences. 

At first listen with my Mg6Pro IEM's and my Sony F1, I find this to be a very nice-sounding amplifier.  As I use crossfeed for most of my headphone listening, I find the implementation used in the UHA-4 to be just right, not too much and not too little.  It is subtle as crossfeed should be.  

After my initial listens with the above phones, I decided to give my DT-880's Dragons a try.  As these are 600 ohms, I switched to high gain and was very impressed with how nicely they sound when driven by this tiny amp.  There is all the volume I want and the amp has yet to sound as if it is struggling. 

I am very well pleased with the sound, and my initial concerns about whether it would work with my Linux USB proved to be groundless, as it was immediately recognized as a USB DAC.   Turn on and turn off have only the tiniest of pops.  I have heard no hiss with the phones I have used thus far.  

I also am pleased with the fit and finish, especially considering the modest cost.  I still haven't figured out whether the warranty is for 6 months or 2 years despite Miguel accusing me of rapid turnover of my amps!  I must agree with Miguel that I too really, really like the volume control, especially when paired with extremely sensitive IEM's.

My thanks to Nick at Leckerton Audio for really doing his homework on this fine little amp!

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #749 of 1,075

Quote:
...  I still haven't figured out whether the warranty is for 6 months or 2 years despite Miguel accusing me of rapid turnover of my amps!  I must agree with Miguel that I too really, really like the volume control, especially when paired with extremely sensitive IEM's.

Ron, glad you  like it! If interested in trying the UHA-4 w/ a pair of 8610 and the iBasso D-Zero send me a PM and can ship both to your door to try. Cheers!

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #750 of 1,075

Quote:
Are you sure it increased bass? Maybe its a perceived effect due to how it cuts back on the mids and highs. Slightly dulls them in a way or pulls them more in the center if you will.

Yeah I'm pretty sure, it's definitely there. It's nice though. I still would prefer a more pronounced effect . I could live with the slightly boosted bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back