LCD-X and XC Update
May 30, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #2,506 of 2,721
From a technical standpoint data pass for a lot of filters, before u even activate bit perfect. But this is not a forum to talk about science.

And I really doubt the ability of the audiophile to distinguish bit-perfect from no-bit-perfect.

So, everyone pick the best way to enjoy music.
I do not have bat ears, but can easily tell WASAPI shared mode from bit-perfect exclusive on PC or Android OS standard 48K oversampled output vs bit-perfect UAPP.
In fact it's so apparent that it surprises me that somebody cannot hear it.

May 30, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #2,507 of 2,721
I do not have bat ears, but can easily tell WASAPI shared mode from bit-perfect exclusive on PC or Android OS standard 48K oversampled output vs bit-perfect UAPP.

I really surprise about your ears.

Take care of them, they are pure gold.

May 30, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #2,508 of 2,721
What? 😲

Jun 4, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #2,510 of 2,721
Duly noted, thanks! Was there anything in particular that you didn't like?
Whoops, I see I missed this question, apologies. I absolutely love the Zen Stack, and the Zen Can has kept me with it despite hundreds of hours looking to find something in the sub-$1000 bracket that performs as good…and here I am, multiple headphones later and still more than happy with my Zen Can for all my cans…but one, the lcd-xc.

When I run the lcd-xc on it I get an incessant crackle irrespective of whether I run it SE or balanced, on low or high gain etc. I saw in the Zen Can thread that it may be related to the power supply that I am using (the generic 5V one that came with later shipped versions, rather than the IFi power pack) which seems to impact lower impedance cans…but I have not yet had the chance to swop things around to test this.

Jun 4, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #2,511 of 2,721
Whoops, I see I missed this question, apologies. I absolutely love the Zen Stack, and the Zen Can has kept me with it despite hundreds of hours looking to find something in the sub-$1000 bracket that performs as good…and here I am, multiple headphones later and still more than happy with my Zen Can for all my cans…but one, the lcd-xc.

When I run the lcd-xc on it I get an incessant crackle irrespective of whether I run it SE or balanced, on low or high gain etc. I saw in the Zen Can thread that it may be related to the power supply that I am using (the generic 5V one that came with later shipped versions, rather than the IFi power pack) which seems to impact lower impedance cans…but I have not yet had the chance to swop things around to test this.

That's awesome to read, really. Thank you a lot! Regarding that crackling noise, I'd experiment with power supply for sure and would start from USB power first to set the base. Thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 6, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #2,513 of 2,721
Hey Guys,

Not sure whether this will be taken as spam or not but you can find my short review of the LCD-X via the link below.

Any feedback would be appreciated, more videos will be coming soon covering all things audio related.

Thanks.
Jacques

That's a very nice effort, thanks a lot for sharing!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 9, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #2,515 of 2,721
IMG_4803.jpg
That plate looks amazing. Does it count as void warranty?

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #2,516 of 2,721
That plate looks amazing. Does it count as void warranty?
No. Super easy to remove. Just a couple screws and it's back to stock.

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #2,517 of 2,721
When some people on this thread say they prefer the LCD-XC 2021 to the LCD-X 2022, what do they prefer about them?

I’ve had my LCD-X 2021 for a couple of years and am thinking about adding a pair of closed backs. Wondering if there are any improvements to be expected with the XCs.

Thanks!

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #2,518 of 2,721
When some people on this thread say they prefer the LCD-XC 2021 to the LCD-X 2022, what do they prefer about them?

I’ve had my LCD-X 2021 for a couple of years and am thinking about adding a pair of closed backs. Wondering if there are any improvements to be expected with the XCs.

Thanks!
They sound very different from one another.

The LCDX 2021 is quite balanced but warmer titled and doesn't require EQ.

The LCDXC 2021 or 2022 (there wasn't any revision between them) is very bright by comparison. The treble especially higher treble is VERY energetic. I couldn't get past that as well as the weight so I sold mine. Having said that if you're okay with a heavy headphone (it's approaching 800 grams) and are okay with EQ'ing they are phenomenal. With EQ applied I don't think any manufacturer makes a more resolving closed back.

Jun 26, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #2,519 of 2,721
Well, Yes and No!
Both headphones, as far as I know, use the same drivers!
Here is LCD-X
Audeze LCD-X Measurements Frequency Response 2021.png

Here is LCD-XC
Audeze LCD-XC Measurements Frequency Response Closed Back headphone.png

And here is one, superimposed on the other, allowing for treble level:
1687810681055.png

The faded curve is LCD-X, the solid curve is XC.

It is a matter of point of view!
From the superimposed graph, you can see that:
1- Both headphones have the same FR from about 1.8kHz upwards.
2- The XC, being a closed back, has all outputs below 1.8kHz, muted a bit.
OR
3- The X being an open back has all lower frequencies boosted! This is because there is no back pressure on the diaphragms.
This makes the headphones sound warmer, OR makes the XC sound brighter, depending on your view-point.
I personally did a simple Mod. on my LCD-XC ( https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eze-lcd-xc-21-effects-of-small-venting.42829/
From my measurements, after allowing small venting to occur on the XC, you get this:

after.jpeg

Just look at the curve below 300Hz.
As I reduced the back pressure from XC diaphragms, in small steps, it changed the bass FR curve.
Here is a zoomed version of the affected area.

1dB div.jpg

At the end of the day, either, the X is too warm, or the XC is too bright, take your pick.
But since both headphones have almost no DISTORTION to speak of, EQ to you heart's desire, just make sure you don't run out of gain.
Distortion? what distortion!
1687811961059.png

1687811992342.png

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #2,520 of 2,721
They sound very different from one another.

The LCDX 2021 is quite balanced but warmer titled and doesn't require EQ.

Well, Yes and No!
Here is LCD-X

Here is LCD-XC

1687810681055.png

OR
3- The X being an open back has all lower frequencies boosted! This is because there is no back pressure on the diaphragms.
This makes the headphones sound warmer, OR makes the XC sound brighter, depending on your view-point.
I personally did a simple Mod. on my LCD-XC ( https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eze-lcd-xc-21-effects-of-small-venting.42829/
From my measurements, after allowing small venting to occur on the XC, you get this:

after.jpeg

As I reduced the back pressure from XC diaphragms, in small steps, it changed the bass FR curve.

1dB div.jpg

At the end of the day, either, the X is too warm, or the XC is too bright, take your pick.
But since both headphones have almost no DISTORTION to speak of, EQ to you heart's desire, just make sure you don't run out of gain.
1687811961059.png

1687811992342.png

The LCDXC 2021 or 2022 (there wasn't any revision between them) is very bright by comparison. The treble especially higher treble is VERY energetic. I couldn't get past that as well as the weight so I sold mine. Having said that if you're okay with a heavy headphone (it's approaching 800 grams) and are okay with EQ'ing they are phenomenal. With EQ applied I don't think any manufacturer makes a more
Well, Yes and No!
Here is LCD-X

Here is LCD-XC

1687810681055.png

OR

after.jpeg

1dB div.jpg

1687811961059.png

1687811992342.png
Wow thanks @Kentajalli and @Kevintj604 for the detailed replies. I love my LCD-X and think they’re perfect. I didn’t know the lack of back pressure was what contributed to their warmth. Makes sense and makes sense that the closed LCD-XC would be perceived as brighter.

I don’t mind the weight of the LCD-X. I grew up on my dad’s old Japanese JVC closed backs from the late-70s early 80s. Those were beasts on an 11 yo head. (I’m in my 40s now).

The “extra” energy up top on the LCD-XC would probably be beneficial as I plan to use them in a shared space, and will probably need to keep them on low volume. This may help keep some of the details of the music intact for my aging ears.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back