LCD-X and XC Update
Jan 9, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #1,441 of 2,722
The LCD-X 2021 is a chameleon headphone. It offers the unique ability to sound however you want it to. This is rare in the headphone world. Distortion is shockingly low, and it will take any equalization adjustments that you choose to throw at it. If you are looking for bass, this headphone will deliver it. All you need to do is throw a sub bass and mid bass shelf on this puppy. Once this is done, the low end will present anything you want.

Jan 9, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #1,442 of 2,722
The LCD-X 2021 is a chameleon headphone. It offers the unique ability to sound however you want it to. This is rare in the headphone world. Distortion is shockingly low, and it will take any equalization adjustments that you choose to throw at it. If you are looking for bass, this headphone will deliver it. All you need to do is throw a sub bass and mid bass shelf on this puppy. Once this is done, the low end will present anything you want.
100% Agree on this. I tested XC shortly but turning EQ off/on made a huge difference and I think a bit of low shelf for the bass takes this headphones to another level.

Jan 9, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #1,443 of 2,722
My word.. The GSX Mini has really changed how these headphones sound. I had initially thought there wasn't much difference on them as there was with the HD800 coming from the 789.

However that was an issue to do with the music I was throwing at it, I just threw some rather dynamic music and it sounds supremely good fun. Are there any good test tracks that sound particularly good on the LCDX?

Jan 10, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,445 of 2,722
My word.. The GSX Mini has really changed how these headphones sound. I had initially thought there wasn't much difference on them as there was with the HD800 coming from the 789.

However that was an issue to do with the music I was throwing at it, I just threw some rather dynamic music and it sounds supremely good fun. Are there any good test tracks that sound particularly good on the LCDX?

My test track for dynamic music, impact, and transient response is "Towerblock" by Frost*. Very explosive sound in parts of the song and it's quite well produced.

Jan 10, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,446 of 2,722

Noisia albums, listen from Tidal.

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #1,449 of 2,722
Would the LCD X complement Clear OG well? Any opinions here regarding this?
Own both, LCD-X is more on the dry side with attenuated midrange and a linear, defined low end. The Focal Clear is more 'wet' with musicality and dynamic, textured low-end.

Jan 10, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #1,450 of 2,722
Can anyone share what is the official reveal eq profile of LCD X 2021 ?
Maybe someone can ask oratory1990 on reddit. He made one in the past. He’s busy though so no guarantee that he’ll do it

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #1,451 of 2,722
Own both, LCD-X is more on the dry side with attenuated midrange and a linear, defined low end. The Focal Clear is more 'wet' with musicality and dynamic, textured low-end.
Thanks- just happens that I am considering just that purchase choice. Have been considering LCD-X for quite a while but Clear OG has a lot to recommend it (won’t elaborate on this thread but there are a whole slew of reviews on the Clear here and the price right now is fantastic - Focal is phasing them out).

Jan 12, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #1,452 of 2,722
Thanks- just happens that I am considering just that purchase choice. Have been considering LCD-X for quite a while but Clear OG has a lot to recommend it (won’t elaborate on this thread but there are a whole slew of reviews on the Clear here and the price right now is fantastic - Focal is phasing them out).
I own it both a few months ago... I prefer LCD-X hands down.

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #1,454 of 2,722
Dynamic drivers might sound punchier, but they can't provide the bass extension and sub-bass presence of (good) planar transducers. When it comes to bass, for me planar is the answer. Dynamic drivers fall short of extension, presence, body, balance. For a bass connoisseur planar is the final answer. Dynamic driver bass is only the McDonald's of bass lovers. A good planar transducer offers the full plate of refined bass like no other dynamic drivers ever can. :)
Thank you for articulating that truth that I've long suspected but could never express as clearly as you did here. I also liked the McDonald's reference!

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #1,455 of 2,722

Users who are viewing this thread

Back