LCD-X and XC Update
Jan 5, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #1,426 of 2,740
I just ordered one and i'm planning in the future to get a RME ADI-2 DAC FS.
I would just like to avoid purchasing both now, so I just hope they are going to be usable until then.
I'm currently running an Auteur and wanted something more impactful and a planar to complement it.

Jan 5, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #1,427 of 2,740
Just want to post in here and just share that I always get blown away when I throw that EQ on. It really makes the headphones shine and just blow away every other headphone in my collection. I find the imaging to be very interesting too. Not a basshead but boy oh boy does it shine after EQ
Which EQ are you using? I’m having trouble finding a good free one, the reveal price is a little too steep at the moment.

Jan 6, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #1,430 of 2,740
I have the same problem that my ears would touch the grill of the Fazor!!!!

Are you getting Dekoni Sheepskin Ear Pads? I am looking forward to your afterthought on those Dekoni pads.

So I've just received the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin for Audeze LCD.
As they are not available in Europ yet, I had to order directly from Dekoni.
Shipping cost was expensive, 30 USD + 23 euros for taxes...but it was fast. (US->France 4 days). Almost the price of an Hifiman HE400SE. For a pair of pads.
Next time, I'll be patient. :sunglasses:

Installation was very easy, as eaasy as you can see on their YT video.

Dekoni's are thicker, almost as thick as Audeze's older pads.
The foam is memory foam, and is denser than Audeze's new pads' foam (so necessarly more clamping, but not an issue for me)
I will have to confirm with time, if the foam does squeeze itself, but at least it has now solved my issue : My ears are not touching the grill anymore. :sunglasses:
They are maybe slightly touching them, hard to say, but there is not that discomfort I had after only few minutes, anymore.

Aesthetically, the Audeze leather looks nicer, and is shiner. More luxurious.
The Dekoni's being brand new, they will maybe turn shiner with time (and human oil :weary:).
I have a pair of Dekoni's for my D7000, they seems to keep their brand new aspect.

Regarding comfort, there is more clamping due to the thickness, and denser foam, on both side. Again, not an issue for me.
They are also smelling like strawberry. Surprising.

Regarding the sound
I was very skeptical when I saw the thickness of the Dekoni's.
I know why Audeze have changed their ticker pads for thinners, so I was expected a change in sound, and not in the right direction...

It has indeed changed the sound a bit, but not that much.
Dekoni shows a graph on their website, but I'm not sure they are comparing the newest Audeze pads, or the 21's drivers.

Because to my surprise, it seems to do exactly (well, at least that same direction) what the EQ I was using did (EQ from Headphones.com).
Slightly increase the bass, slighty lower mediums and highs.
Now, with my old EQ, the slap in the lower end is a bit too much, and voices are a bit darker.
As I can't go back, and do some back and forth to compare properly, this is just my feeling.

So am I happy with those Dekoni's pads ?
Yes. While I can't garanty they will works for every body's ears, this is obviously the only way to go if you are annoyed by the fazor being to close to your ears.

Would I still buy a pair if my ears weren't touching the Fazor grill ?
No. Because while I like the sound without EQ, the audiophile in me still want that Harman curve, but I can't trust other's EQ anymore.
I will need to find a way to measure my XC with Dekoni's pads.

On attached pictures, the back picture shows the Dekoni on the left, on the other, the dekoni is on the right.
We can't really see on that pic, but the hole for each ear is rounder on the Dekoni, more oval on the Audeze.

Attachments

• 20220106_154747.jpg
    20220106_154747.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220106_152714.jpg
    20220106_152714.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #1,431 of 2,740
What should I do to alleviate the issue of the hotspot on the top of my head? I usually notice it about 45 minutes in. The earpads feel fantastic but every so often I just have to hold the headphones up to release some of the pressure off of the top of my head just so I can wear this during longer sessions

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #1,432 of 2,740
So I've just received the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin for Audeze LCD.
As they are not available in Europ yet, I had to order directly from Dekoni.
Shipping cost was expensive, 30 USD + 23 euros for taxes...but it was fast. (US->France 4 days). Almost the price of an Hifiman HE400SE. For a pair of pads.
Next time, I'll be patient. :sunglasses:

Installation was very easy, as eaasy as you can see on their YT video.

Dekoni's are thicker, almost as thick as Audeze's older pads.
The foam is memory foam, and is denser than Audeze's new pads' foam (so necessarly more clamping, but not an issue for me)
I will have to confirm with time, if the foam does squeeze itself, but at least it has now solved my issue : My ears are not touching the grill anymore. :sunglasses:
They are maybe slightly touching them, hard to say, but there is not that discomfort I had after only few minutes, anymore.

Aesthetically, the Audeze leather looks nicer, and is shiner. More luxurious.
The Dekoni's being brand new, they will maybe turn shiner with time (and human oil :weary:).
I have a pair of Dekoni's for my D7000, they seems to keep their brand new aspect.

Regarding comfort, there is more clamping due to the thickness, and denser foam, on both side. Again, not an issue for me.
They are also smelling like strawberry. Surprising.

Regarding the sound
I was very skeptical when I saw the thickness of the Dekoni's.
I know why Audeze have changed their ticker pads for thinners, so I was expected a change in sound, and not in the right direction...

It has indeed changed the sound a bit, but not that much.
Dekoni shows a graph on their website, but I'm not sure they are comparing the newest Audeze pads, or the 21's drivers.

Because to my surprise, it seems to do exactly (well, at least that same direction) what the EQ I was using did (EQ from Headphones.com).
Slightly increase the bass, slighty lower mediums and highs.
Now, with my old EQ, the slap in the lower end is a bit too much, and voices are a bit darker.
As I can't go back, and do some back and forth to compare properly, this is just my feeling.

So am I happy with those Dekoni's pads ?
Yes. While I can't garanty they will works for every body's ears, this is obviously the only way to go if you are annoyed by the fazor being to close to your ears.

Would I still buy a pair if my ears weren't touching the Fazor grill ?
No. Because while I like the sound without EQ, the audiophile in me still want that Harman curve, but I can't trust other's EQ anymore.
I will need to find a way to measure my XC with Dekoni's pads.

On attached pictures, the back picture shows the Dekoni on the left, on the other, the dekoni is on the right.
We can't really see on that pic, but the hole for each ear is rounder on the Dekoni, more oval on the Audeze.
Thank you!! Very detail afterthought.

Jan 7, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #1,433 of 2,740
What should I do to alleviate the issue of the hotspot on the top of my head? I usually notice it about 45 minutes in. The earpads feel fantastic but every so often I just have to hold the headphones up to release some of the pressure off of the top of my head just so I can wear this during longer sessions
This could be the answer, check if Audeze can ship you shorter leather pad.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #1,434 of 2,740

You might try this :

Jan 7, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #1,435 of 2,740
I shortened the head stap by a few millimeters by drillling new holes. This gave me a 5mm gap with the steel straps:

Attachments

• DSCF2475c.jpg
    DSCF2475c.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 0
Jan 7, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #1,436 of 2,740
Pls can you say more about this pairing. I am considering both of these and have read a lot about both but not about their pairing.
Due to the possibilities that the RME offers to equalize, and also the internal amplifier has more than enough power to drive them with a lot of headroom to spare, the distortion is non-existent even though I have a strong eq applied. Without any doubt I highly recommend it, and more so with the oratory1990 settings for the LCD-X 2021.

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #1,437 of 2,740
After owning this headphone for a few months, I have to say that one of the best aspects of this piece of hardware is that it just does not sound all that much like the usual audiophile headphone. The LCD-X really does have a tremendous ability to mimic the sonic capabilities of a high quality 2 channel loudspeaker system in a room. It is obvious why this headphone is in such high demand for studio usage. I keep seeing reviews which claim this headphone has an average soundstage. This is just not correct. This headphone has fantastic soundstage width, depth, and height characteristics. On top of this, the way this headphone images is just spectacular for the price point. Instrument separation and definition is insanely good. I highly recommend this headphone. I will admit that it does require a bit of EQ, but once this is done, the sound quality will blow your doors off.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #1,438 of 2,740
Hello guys, i need a little help ..
I have the Arya stealth edition and I love them.. but sometimes especially in late night the sound leakage is annoying for my family and I m in the market for a closed back headphones..
I search something with the sound signature of my Arya ( maybe a bit more bass punch) from a closed back..
My first choice is the LCD XC 2021 but I m a little confused because I m reading that the bass is weak/thin for a closed back.. and I don't know if this is the right decision.
Has anyone experience whit the XC 2021.. and Arya's to help me.
My budget is about 1500 - 2000$.
Cheers.

Jan 8, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #1,439 of 2,740
Due to the possibilities that the RME offers to equalize, and also the internal amplifier has more than enough power to drive them with a lot of headroom to spare, the distortion is non-existent even though I have a strong eq applied. Without any doubt I highly recommend it, and more so with the oratory1990 settings for the LCD-X 2021.
Thanks - also leaning this way but also considering the Brooklyn DAC+ (that one is similar to RME ADI-2 Pro - both are nearly $2000 with similar features so careful consideration needed). The ability to EQ on both is great; however, at home (where I would use them) I am a Roon user and Roon’s DSP/Eq is easy to use and allows saving user defined/HP specific Eq profiles, As well, Roon supplies specific Eq settings for Audeze HPs- so not sure I need EQ in a DAC. Alternatively there is Also Denafrips Ares II-, which I would think to pair with an amp, possibly a Bryston BHA-1, both of which supposedly pair very well with LCD series.

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #1,440 of 2,740
Hello guys, i need a little help ..
I have the Arya stealth edition and I love them.. but sometimes especially in late night the sound leakage is annoying for my family and I m in the market for a closed back headphones..
I search something with the sound signature of my Arya ( maybe a bit more bass punch) from a closed back..
My first choice is the LCD XC 2021 but I m a little confused because I m reading that the bass is weak/thin for a closed back.. and I don't know if this is the right decision.
Has anyone experience whit the XC 2021.. and Arya's to help me.
My budget is about 1500 - 2000$.
Cheers.
I think if bass punch is what you’re after you’d probably get on better with a dynamic driver headphone. I own the LCD-X and, while it can deliver solid bass punch for my needs, it’s not as impressive as much cheaper headphones that are essentially focused on delivering a ton of engaging bass. The Audeze reference line is not meant to colour the music in any particular way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back