LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 7, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #316 of 2,721
Mg-ed LCD-4 with “proper” tuning would be nice. As well as CB version of it.

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #317 of 2,721
Mg-ed LCD-4 with “proper” tuning would be nice. As well as CB version of it.
Proper tuning?

Isn't the tuning what made thr LCD-4 special in the first place?

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #318 of 2,721
My wishlist -

New LCD4 with magnesium chassis.Lighter Carbon fibre ring option with black grille. Retain wood option for people who want the classic look. Shouldn't be too hard to do for a built to order product.

Tuning- just use the updated tuning on the lcd-X. Looks like a solid base to use a bit of EQ to adjust to individual preferences.

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #319 of 2,721
Proper tuning?

There's nothing particularly unique about LCD4 frequency response. The 4Z, MX4 and even LCD2 aren't that different. A couple of DBs difference in a few places.

Use an EQ and adjust a few frequencies by 1 to 3 dB. Depending on the music you can barely notice a big change.

It looks like Audeze maybe rethinking their house sound. Why go super dark and send a whole bunch of customers to Focal, Hifiman, DCA, Stax etc? Better to release a slightly brighter tuning that appeals to a wider customer base imho.

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #320 of 2,721
Mmmm, I used to love the LCD-XC in the beginning; it fell out of favor for a while, however, but I quickly learned (?) to enjoy its quirky sound again. It is quite a unique headphone in the upper echelons of the closed-back headphone market.

The new LCD-XC is certainly an interesting proposition. Sadly, that carbon fiber cup isn't as pretty as its predecessor's wood façade, at least in my perspective.

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #321 of 2,721
Proper tuning?

Perhaps. For some.
I am more interested in technical aspect of it. If Audeze offered reasonably priced, lighter version of their TOTL model with more agreeable FR, I would consider it.

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #322 of 2,721
Perhaps. For some.
I am more interested in technical aspect of it. If Audeze offered reasonably priced, lighter version of their TOTL model with more agreeable FR, I would consider it.
Well if you don't agree with the FR, I guess they are not the right headphone for you.

Just like the Utopia for Instance don't fit ny taste

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #323 of 2,721
Well if you don't agree with the FR, I guess they are not the right headphone for you.

Just like the Utopia for Instance don't fit ny taste
Particular sound signature that various headphone stables have to offer isn’t something I steer away from. However, this isn’t what I’m looking for at the moment. Headphones with reasonable linearity and exceptional technicality is what I’m looking for. Comfort is another, very important factor that I’m considering in choosing my headphones. It doesn’t matter how exceptional particular headphones are. If they become distraction, enjoyment level diminishes rather quickly. It’s possible that I’m alone on this and most LCD4 owners don’t mind the weight or specific sound signature. If that’s the case, it would be a terrible idea for Audeze to venture away from their old ways. :wink:

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #324 of 2,721
Particular sound signature that various headphone stables have to offer isn’t something I steer away from. However, this isn’t what I’m looking for at the moment. Headphones with reasonable linearity and exceptional technicality is what I’m looking for. Comfort is another, very important factor that I’m considering in choosing my headphones. It doesn’t matter how exceptional particular headphones are. If they become distraction, enjoyment level diminishes rather quickly. It’s possible that I’m alone on this and most LCD4 owners don’t mind the weight or specific sound signature. If that’s the case, it would be a terrible idea for Audeze to venture away from their old ways. :wink:
I guess there are quite a few more that are unsatisfied with the weight than the sound.

Everyone wants something that sounds good to him, in your case that might be "reasonable linearity with exceptional technicality", while someone else wants a more Colored sound and yet another one wants the biggest soundstage possible etc.

There are about as many different tastes as there are people.
While flagships try to retain a certain "neutrality" since hifi is about music reproduction true to the source, I personally welcome it if a manufacturer gives his headphone more character by being less neutral.

There are headphones for many tastes, one just has to find the right ones for himself

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #325 of 2,721
Perhaps. For some.
Ya I thought it was because they are detailed for the price and pretty much the only planar on the market that still has good punch/slam. Also, the build, warranty, made in America

They’re really meant to be EQed to your taste. Audeze has products that EQ their headphones. As far as I know, less people genuinely enjoy their stock tuning (although there are some obviously).

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #326 of 2,721
Ya I thought it was because they are detailed for the price and pretty much the only planar on the market that still has good punch/slam. Also, the build, warranty, made in America

They’re really meant to be EQed to your taste. Audeze has products that EQ their headphones. As far as I know, less people genuinely enjoy their stock tuning (although there are some obviously).
I do not personally EQ any of my headphones. At least not in digital/software domain, but. I appreciate Audeze for providing presets for Roon users. (I assume these presets need to get updated now).
And this new revision for LCDX/LCDXC gives me hope that perhaps some effort is being made to get a little closer to more agreeable FR with their TOTL product. I guess we will see what Audeze comes up with soon.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #327 of 2,721
should be getting a new XC and some updated LCD-2 Closed Back pads, I'll report back if I notice anything RE: folks' questions when I get them. Also feel free to join the discord as well, I usually can respond quicker to messages there:

https://discord.gg/KryYwpwjfG

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 7, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #328 of 2,721
I guess there are quite a few more that are unsatisfied with the weight than the sound.

Everyone wants something that sounds good to him, in your case that might be "reasonable linearity with exceptional technicality", while someone else wants a more Colored sound and yet another one wants the biggest soundstage possible etc.

I get it. And nothing wrong with color or personal preferences etc. However, since Audeze seems to collaborate with pro-side of music industry, it seems organic and logical to offer relatively “neutral” line of products. I’m not saying that there’s no room for eccentricity but I would be happy with headphones that offer certain level of uniformity throughout frequency spectrum.
I’ll be happy with my LCDX if these new pads bring them a little closer to more “linear” FR.
But I wouldn’t mind going a little crazy and purchase Audeze TOTL offering if they adopted new LCDX tuning with similar ergonomics (weight to be more specific) and take it to another level.
If I wanted something different or colored, I would probably look into Heddphone or ZMF.
But I am here for a reason.

Ya I thought it was because they are detailed for the price and pretty much the only planar on the market that still has good punch/slam.
For the money? Sure. I think they are pretty awesome.
There are few planars that slam just as hard but both start at 4K+. So ........ lol

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #330 of 2,721
I get it. And nothing wrong with color or personal preferences etc. However, since Audeze seems to collaborate with pro-side of music industry, it seems organic and logical to offer relatively “neutral” line of products. I’m not saying that there’s no room for eccentricity but I would be happy with headphones that offer certain level of uniformity throughout frequency spectrum.
I’ll be happy with my LCDX if these new pads bring them a little closer to more “linear” FR.
But I wouldn’t mind going a little crazy and purchase Audeze TOTL offering if they adopted new LCDX tuning with similar ergonomics (weight to be more specific) and take it to another level.
If I wanted something different or colored, I would probably look into Heddphone or ZMF.
But I am here for a reason.

For the money? Sure. I think they are pretty awesome.
There are few planars that slam just as hard but both start at 4K+. So ........ lol
Haha well that’s a little out of my price range for now. Maybe some day... for now I’ll stick with my LCD2f (now that I know it also received a pad revision). I’m really looking forward to seeing measurements... the Audeze (audio odyssey) continues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back