LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 6, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #286 of 2,721
"Improve the FR" Is quite relative, especially if you liked the original tuning.
Sorry, probably wasn't clear. I imagine when the 2C was first released, and around the time Tyll measured it, it would have been using the original pads, meaning before the memory foam pads were even around to begin with. Then the one I owned had switched to memory foam, and now we're back to another new type of pad that should bring the FR back to how it was before the memory foam was used. So many revs to keep track of...

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #287 of 2,721
Sorry, probably wasn't clear. I imagine when the 2C was first released, and around the time Tyll measured it, it would have been using the original pads, meaning before the memory foam pads were even around to begin with. Then the one I owned had switched to memory foam, and now we're back to another new type of pad that should bring the FR back to how it was before the memory foam was used. So many revs to keep track of...
Thx for clarifying

Apr 6, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #289 of 2,721
hahaha, wow this looks like the marketing material Fab-Filter puts out xD
What host are you using to run the VST?
I admit to being a little out of the loop on head-fi stuff. Just downloaded Equalizer APO to test out with, but I'm more familiar with pro tools such as FF at the moment.
Haahahahah good observation, looks like one of the curves on the computer being used by the engineer in their promo videos :gs1000smile:

I'm using Audio Hijack by Rogue Amoeba! It's Mac-only, unfortunately, but i'll be damned if it hasn't made the entire journey of EQing headphones easy as pie, along with Pro-Q. Another really great tool is this plugin called CanOpener that's actually supposed to be a crosstalk/speaker simulator, but I use it internally-bypassed just for it's awesome visualization of the L/R stage relative to frequency (see attached picture, it's super intuitive). Super helpful as a visual aid when trying to pin down stereo imbalances and controlling for the inevitable variation that comes about from headphones' placement on the head.

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 3.17.12 PM.png

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 6, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #290 of 2,721
Are you still using SPL Phonitor with Audezes @AudezeGrover ??? It’s a nice pairing. Love my LCDX with Phonitor 2.

I do have a quick question tho.
Are pads sold on Audeze site at the moment a current version?
I just placed an order for leather pads. As I’m interested to see what are the differences between your current non leather vs leather pads.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #291 of 2,721
Thank you! It's been really fun and I'm glad to have a job with cool people. Working freelance in entertainment during covid was not fun...

As for the other requests?
Just you wait. :wink:
Much respect to you and Audeze for directly engaging with the community even in the midst of criticism. Really elevates my view of the brand and I think that direct interaction is one of the big reasons for boutique brands like ZMF being as popular as they are.

Happy to wait until the end of 2021 :wink:

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #292 of 2,721
Haahahahah good observation, looks like one of the curves on the computer being used by the engineer in their promo videos :gs1000smile:

I'm using Audio Hijack by Rogue Amoeba! It's Mac-only, unfortunately, but i'll be damned if it hasn't made the entire journey of EQing headphones easy as pie, along with Pro-Q. Another really great tool is this plugin called CanOpener that's actually supposed to be a crosstalk/speaker simulator, but I use it internally-bypassed just for it's awesome visualization of the L/R stage relative to frequency (see attached picture, it's super intuitive). Super helpful as a visual aid when trying to pin down stereo imbalances and controlling for the inevitable variation that comes about from headphones' placement on the head.

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 3.17.12 PM.png

Very cool! I wish windows had a better VST plugin managing environment. I'm sure one exists but I usually just use some quick and dirty eq on my RME interface.

I used to use Canopener too! Stopped because... I don't really know why. Probably because I liked the Phonitor matrix on the SPL better. But now the SPL is kablooie (I blew up a coupling cap when swapping some low impedance cans and have yet to fix things.)

If you order pads from the website they will be the new updated ones, yes.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 6, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #293 of 2,721
Much respect to you and Audeze for directly engaging with the community even in the midst of criticism. Really elevates my view of the brand and I think that direct interaction is one of the big reasons for boutique brands like ZMF being as popular as they are.

Happy to wait until the end of 2021 :wink:

We're trying! Part of the reason I was brought on I think. And I do love me some ZMF, Zach and Beva re good friends and wonderful people. I've owned many ZMF's over the years too!

Who said the end of 2021? :beyersmile:

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 6, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #294 of 2,721
Thanks for confirming pads on site are the current stock @AudezeGrover. Too bad about your phonitor. Hot swapping headphones on this voltage driven beast is very risky. I would advise against it. No matter how tempting and safe it might seem.
Coming from vacuum tube culture, turning ON/OFF sequencing is a second nature. Hope SPL can assist you with your amp. It would be a shame to shelf it indefinitely.

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #295 of 2,721
Sorry if this has was already answered. Is there anyway to easily identify if you have the newer pads?

I received a new LCD4 around November time. What exactly is it about these pads that make them superior to the normal leather pads on the non-otherwise updated LCD4?

EDIT: Is it just a matter of seal? If you're already getting a very good seal then it should not impact the sound?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #296 of 2,721
OK, I just inspected and compared non-leather pads that I recently purchased to older leather pads. They’re definitely new stock. Dimensions (key) are quite different. Pads are a lot more shallow. At least 3-4 mm. Inner oval, driver opening, also seems to be a little more narrow. Not sure if that is intentional or byproduct of manufacturing imperfection common with most pads out there ... or squishable nature of these new pads...?

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #297 of 2,721
Sorry if this has was already answered. Is there anyway to easily identify if you have the newer pads?

I received a new LCD4 around November time. What exactly is it about these pads that make them superior to the normal leather pads on the non-otherwise updated LCD4?
If you asked me..... and I’m just an avarage know-nothing-Joe. Is the pads thickness (key) and material. Pads are very shallow. To the point where your ear might actually come in contact with material that protects the driver. They don’t seem to use memory foam which was used previously. At least on leather pads. New pads also seems to be “stuffed” lightly with new padding foam. Material (leather) itself might be (at least it appears to be) slightly different. But that’s debatable. Could be different supplier, leather processing etc. Doubt choosing it was based on sound properties. But who knows????

(new leather pads appear to have more shimmer/shine to it , they will be more shallow and softer)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #298 of 2,721
It would be great to understand if Audeze actually believe the pads change the sound in any meaningful way other than creating a better seal. A better seal should give you a better sound anyway but if you're already getting a good seal what's the point - how can you provide a better seal if the seal is already great? I've spent a lot of time on the LCD4 forum and haven't really come across anyone complaining about the seal of the pads.

Sorry for saying seal so much.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #299 of 2,721
It would be great to understand if Audeze actually believe the pads change the sound in any meaningful way other than creating a better seal. A better seal should give you a better sound anyway but if you're already getting a good seal what's the point - how can you provide a better seal if the seal is already great? I've spent a lot of time of the LCD4 forum and haven't really come across anyone complaining about the seal of the pads.

Sorry for saying seal so much.
I never had problems with seal on my Audeze headphones.

Earpads can change the sound quite significantly. Filling and covering material (perforation), the depth, width and height of the room for your ear, distance and angle from the driver are all important factors.

Many other manufacturers offer an easy pad swapping system and some headphones also come with different pad options by default to let the buyer fine tune the sound.
I like Audeze, but it is true that glued on earpads are somewhat old fashioned and hardly justified these days.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #300 of 2,721
Thanks for confirming pads on site are the current stock @AudezeGrover. Too bad about your phonitor. Hot swapping headphones on this voltage driven beast is very risky. I would advise against it. No matter how tempting and safe it might seem.
Coming from vacuum tube culture, turning ON/OFF sequencing is a second nature. Hope SPL can assist you with your amp. It would be a shame to shelf it indefinitely.

Yeah, I usually don't do it and know better - my stereo system is all old skool triode stuff so you'd think I'd know that. I did it absentmindedly and suffered the consequences. It should be an easy fix, just a cap replacement, I've just been too busy honestly. Rocking a Schiit Jotunheim 1 in the meantime and honestly? For my mixing/production and video work it's been just fine. I get so little time to listen to headphones for pleasure these days...

Regarding pads, in my personal experience pads will always change the sound. Seal is not as simple as it seals or doesn't, different pads, materials, size, etc. will all affect seal quality and bass. The new ones should be better, at least based on what I heard when comparing an old X to a new X. Just my personal take though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back