LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 6, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #301 of 2,723
Sorry if this has was already answered. Is there anyway to easily identify if you have the newer pads?

I received a new LCD4 around November time. What exactly is it about these pads that make them superior to the normal leather pads on the non-otherwise updated LCD4?

EDIT: Is it just a matter of seal? If you're already getting a very good seal then it should not impact the sound?

Could you please share pics of your LCD4 pads? thanks!

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #302 of 2,723
We're trying! Part of the reason I was brought on I think. And I do love me some ZMF, Zach and Beva re good friends and wonderful people. I've owned many ZMF's over the years too!

Who said the end of 2021? :beyersmile:

Ok I'm guessing you don't mean 2022 or later.

So that must mean summer to late summer 2021! I'm officially excited!

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #303 of 2,723
Yeah, I usually don't do it and know better - my stereo system is all old skool triode stuff so you'd think I'd know that. I did it absentmindedly and suffered the consequences. It should be an easy fix, just a cap replacement, I've just been too busy honestly. Rocking a Schiit Jotunheim 1 in the meantime and honestly? For my mixing/production and video work it's been just fine. I get so little time to listen to headphones for pleasure these days...

Regarding pads, in my personal experience pads will always change the sound. Seal is not as simple as it seals or doesn't, different pads, materials, size, etc. will all affect seal quality and bass. The new ones should be better, at least based on what I heard when comparing an old X to a new X. Just my personal take though.
Same here. Too much tunes, not enough time to really enjoy it. But I do my best to at least explore new weird stuff that tickles me. Strangely I do enjoy LCDXs with SPL more advanced Martix. And there’s something nice about that SPL/Audeze marriage. And Schitt is solid alt.
Doing great job taking blows on here. Keep it up.

As to pads. Not just the seal. With new pads, your ears literally get molested in comparison to older pads. Ear to driver distance is reduced by at least 3-4mm. It matters. Also, since the new pads are so soft, you might add another mm or two due to softness/“squishability”. And then we have different foam, density, texture. It all matters. It all affects sound. I play with pads as often as little kid plays with his teddy bears. And they can make or break headphones. Finding the right pads is as rewarding as getting new SOTA amp/dac combo. Probably more so.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #304 of 2,723
It would be great to understand if Audeze actually believe the pads change the sound in any meaningful way other than creating a better seal. A better seal should give you a better sound anyway but if you're already getting a good seal what's the point - how can you provide a better seal if the seal is already great? I've spent a lot of time on the LCD4 forum and haven't really come across anyone complaining about the seal of the pads.

Sorry for saying seal so much.
According to oratory1990 audeze designs their drivers to be resistant to leaks anyway. Have you ever taken off your audeze and had it on the desk playing music? It actually retains a lot of sound quality like that. Audeze has gone through many pads over the years though. They used to have one that was glued directly to the baffle but the later ones (both memory foam and now the newer ones) have a felt ring attaching the pad to the baffle.

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #305 of 2,723
According to oratory1990 audeze designs their drivers to be resistant to leaks anyway. Have you ever taken off your audeze and had it on the desk playing music? It actually retains a lot of sound quality like that. Audeze has gone through many pads over the years though. They used to have one that was glued directly to the baffle but the later ones (both memory foam and now the newer ones) have a felt ring attaching the pad to the baffle.
Are you sure regarding nowadays mounting method?

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #306 of 2,723
Ok I'm guessing you don't mean 2022 or later.

So that must mean summer to late summer 2021! I'm officially excited!
Hold on to your butts, it's actually coming this month :)

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 6, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #310 of 2,723
Anyone speculate as to why there are now less fazors in the latest iteration of the LCD-X - going from 8 to 6?
I assume to reduce weight? Don't really know the science behind it to speculate on anything other than that.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 6, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #311 of 2,723
I assume to reduce weight? Don't really know the science behind it to speculate on anything other than that.
I would assume this change results in a minimal weight difference, negligible even. I would think it has something to do with the sound but was wondering if someone knew what impact this would have but personally can't see them changing this in favour of a few grams.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #313 of 2,723
Dude are you serious?

I was looking at buying an LCD4 but I'm definitely going to wait if something is going to release in April.
What u wish for in the lcd4, isn't the answer lcd4z?

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #315 of 2,723
I haven't tried the 4z but I liked the LCD 4 when I demoed it. I love the chrome cover and wood ring on the lcd4 I wish they can do a lighter version of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back