LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 7, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #331 of 2,714
Love my LCD-XCs, only the Stellia has beaten them until now. I have two with the wood cups that were Fazor'd in 2017, now I am going to get this upgrade. My bad luck I just put new pads on them a week before the announcement, but luckily they were discount Amazon pads instead of the real thing. Sending the first one in tomorrow, will send in the second after I get it back. Apparently there is an "intro price" for the upgrade that will go up at some point. I'm trying convince the CS to let me pay for both now but wait to send in the second since I don't want both out at the same time.

Also going to upgrade the headbands to the steel ones with the wide strap. The original narrow and high headbands were always horrifically uncomfortable and I had to use the trick of inserting an AKG leather strap between the posts to make them wearable.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #332 of 2,714
My pair just came in!!!

Initial impressions:
Comfort
I love how much lighter these are! Yes it's only around +-60g difference, but you can actually feel it in your hands and head! Because of this, it automatically feels lighter and more comfortable in your head.

Pads wise however, I love the plushness of the old pads. It has this nice pillow appeal when worn. However, this means it kind of compresses harder against your head and creates a vacuum, which some ppl hate about Audeze's memory foam pads.

The new pads feel effortless on the head. There's very little vacuum and and clamp pressure. The plushness is gone, but now it feels airier, lighter and softer.

Sound
Non-eq comparison

Back to back switching between non-eq old and new X is no comparison. The new X just sounds much cleaner. Soundstage somewhat wider, and I'm able to pick out details better in the new X.

Upper-mids are very recessed on the old X in some songs and switching between the 2 makes that more apparent. It's true that with the new X, eq is now completely optional!

EQ Comparison
Both are following Resolve's baseline EQ. I tend to have the same tastes in preferring the harman target, so I do prefer the EQ profile. But I will need to do more testing between eq and non-eq for the new X to confirm this fully.

My immediate impressions switching between the 2 with EQ is that the new X is punchier and more dynamic. The old X sounds slightly sluggish in comparison with less detail in the bass. This is with a 150 hz low shelf @ 4.5db for the new X and 8.5db for the old. At 4.5db, the punch is insane and the clarity and cleanliness is unrivaled. So much so even at 8.5db, the punch and slam of the old X can't come close. The old X sounds slightly muddier in comparison. Boosting up the bass with the new X to 7db gives slightly more punch, but muddies the sound a little.

In terms of rumble, I feel like the old X does sub rumble better than the new. I need to listen to more sub based music in order to verify this. Could be due to the pads distance and the vacuum created through them.

The new X sounds slightly wider in comparison, and imaging sounds just a little more precise particularly in the treble. I am able to pick out hi-hats and separate things a lot clearer with the new X. On the old X, there's slightly more melding of sounds during busy passages. The new X separation gets very extremely close to the Arya by memory, but I'd have to do a side by side comparison to verify this. Loving the details of the treble! They are detailed without being too harsh, whereas the old X gets slightly harsh on the same tracks. This could certainly be due to the difference made by the eq profiles.

These are just my very initial impressions! I will be doing more tests throughout this week and next, and will update with more impressions!

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #333 of 2,714
Haha well that’s a little out of my price range for now. Maybe some day... for now I’ll stick with my LCD2f (now that I know it also received a pad revision). I’m really looking forward to seeing measurements... the Audeze (audio odyssey) continues.
I agree. Pricey for sure. LCDX seems like the best middle ground in Audeze line. And best value IMHO.

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #337 of 2,714
I agree. Pricey for sure. LCDX seems like the best middle ground in Audeze line. And best value IMHO.
Is the 2f really that much further behind than the X?

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #338 of 2,714
What is the software for the EQ for the LCD?
I'm using Tidal and spotify sources.

Are they paid versions or freeware?

If you have a PC then the easiest and cheapest way is Equalizer APO and the Peace EQ plugin which should work system-wide.

If you have a Mac then the “equivalent” is Soundsource with the native AuBandEQ.

As far as I know you can download any plugin to use with either though....

If you don’t mind spending a bit of money for the best possible experience I’d download Roon. It just makes everything so easy and “pretty”.

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #339 of 2,714
Is the 2f really that much further behind than the X?
No, they just have a different sound character, but are overall quite even in quality

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #340 of 2,714
No, they just have a different sound character, but are overall quite even in quality
I've got them both with me now!
(The new LCD-X and the LCD-2F) bought them at the same time, to test and choose between them, but the 2F arrived with the older memory foam pads.

I cannot make my mind up, they are both great, the difference between the pads is the most jarring thing for me.
The new LCD-X pads really just disappear after a while, you forget you have it on, where as the memory foam tends to ache my jaw.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #342 of 2,714
I’m eagerly awaiting Resolve, Crin or Oratory to measure a LCD-2F that has the new pads! @AudezeGrover Or maybe Audeze themselves should do measurements on the entire product line post-pad change, then publicly posting the data; then the community would know what we’re actually getting when we purchase the new revision. Call it a gesture of good faith to improve upon transparency with their buyers.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #343 of 2,714
When/where was the original announcement of this LCD-X update? All i can find is this thread.

Is there a press release on the audeze website or was this post on March 29 the first announcement of these changes?
It has been rumoured for a while... but official statement from Audeze was on head-fi and a few other audio forums. They have not released anything on their website yet as far as I know

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #344 of 2,714
I’m eagerly awaiting Resolve, Crin or Oratory to measure a LCD-2F that has the new pads! @AudezeGrover Or maybe Audeze themselves should do measurements on the entire product line post-pad change, then publicly posting the data; then the community would know what we’re actually getting when we purchase the new revision. Call it a gesture of good faith to improve upon transparency with their buyers.
I wanted to send oratory my set (he will take samples from anyone for his database) but the cost of shipping overseas is insane. It’d be cool if a few head-fiers could send units out to reviewers. The thing is... Audeze probably wants to make sure that the big reviewers are getting samples that are in good shape. If a random person sends in their damaged, defective or even modded/altered set and a reviewer makes measurements of that it is not really indicative of Audeze’s work. I guess another hope is that Resolve or someone associated with an authorized dealer is able to pull samples from the dealer’s inventory to review. Not sure if that is a possibility.. @Resolve

I also know every time Resolve does a live stream he mentions like 2-3 projects he has on-the-go so it might simply not be possible time-wise to get to something like that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back