LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 3, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #121 of 2,725
If they have new knowledge and “improvements” they should launch a new headphone.
The last thing I'd want is for the takeaway from this thread to be that they should stop improving things - or at least, I hope that's not the spirit of the feedback. But this is also why I think it makes sense to just come out with a 'model years' approach. I would agree that the revision stuff is confusing, and they could do a better job of communicating which version sounds like what (and adding measurements as Metal571 pointed out). But something else seems to be missing from this discussion and it's that no company seems to want to address this type of stuff. Small revisions seem to detract from customer confidence, and while many (if not most) companies do it, nobody except Audeze seems to be willing to admit it. Now, granted the differences in this case are significant - enough to warrant a clear demarcation for which version you may have - and we can only assume that this trend could continue. So at this point I really see no reason not to adopt a naming scheme and launch cycle that reflects that.

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 3, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #122 of 2,725
am i right in understanding that if the lcd-x creators package comes with the new hard case then it is the new version that is being talked about here?

i ordered it from cructhfield and want to make sure i have the new one being talked about here please

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #123 of 2,725
Also, I'll be doing some live testing & measurements today for both of these headphones. Not a full review yet - that'll be next week. But mainly just to get some more data on how they perform for FR using both the GRAS rig and in-ear mics to test bass level.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 3, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #124 of 2,725
The last thing I'd want is for the takeaway from this thread to be that they should stop improving things - or at least, I hope that's not the spirit of the feedback. But this is also why I think it makes sense to just come out with a 'model years' approach. I would agree that the revision stuff is confusing, and they could do a better job of communicating which version sounds like what (and adding measurements as Metal571 pointed out). But something else seems to be missing from this discussion and it's that no company seems to want to address this type of stuff. Small revisions seem to detract from customer confidence, and while many (if not most) companies do it, nobody except Audeze seems to be willing to admit it. Now, granted the differences in this case are significant - enough to warrant a clear demarcation for which version you may have - and we can only assume that this trend could continue. So at this point I really so no reason not to adopt a naming scheme and launch cycle that reflects that.
Spot on. That’s what I am saying. At least separate revisions with a letter, number, colour, anything that will give a clear understanding which headphone you have. Of course they should constantly try to improve but the way is done will damage all confidence. I’d rather buy a Sony headphone or a Sennhizer. Imagine, “for sale Audeze LCD-X version 3.5 between feb 2019 and Jun 2020 but not between March 2019 and may 2020 with sound signature between serial number 239xxx and 247xxx” Sorry but we are talking about products that cost serious money. Imagine if you buy a Ferrari and next month there is the exact same car with bigger engine...

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #127 of 2,725
The last thing I'd want is for the takeaway from this thread to be that they should stop improving things - or at least, I hope that's not the spirit of the feedback.
I think no one would disagree regarding improvement.

Audeze has a certain reputation and they offer high end gear for high end prices. Therefore I also have a certain expectation regarding how they do product lifecycle management, quality assurance and communication. When I read the beginning of the thread I really thought this was an April's fool. Imagine people working hard and saving money for month to buy one of their products and the next day Audeze tells you, that there is a new one improved version, but you have bought the old one. You must announce this before and not afterwards. Sorry, these guys are still amateurs and far from profesionalism. I don't expect them to be top notch, but they can't make simple mistakes like these. Basics in product lifecyclemanagement missing. Quality assurance still in the beginnings. I was really looking in buying some more highend stuff from Audeze, but after certain experiences and this thread they are on my blacklist.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #128 of 2,725
We are yet to know how they shaved off 100g from the previous version.

The 635g advertised weight was 708g in real life and more than one owner of the 2021 version says they weigh 608g now.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #130 of 2,725
Never have I seen so many ppl upset with announcement of an improved product. Well, other the Windows Ofcause. Lol

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #131 of 2,725
I think no one would disagree regarding improvement.

Audeze has a certain reputation and they offer high end gear for high end prices. Therefore I also have a certain expectation regarding how they do product lifecycle management, quality assurance and communication. When I read the beginning of the thread I really thought this was an April's fool. Imagine people working hard and saving money for month to buy one of their products and the next day Audeze tells you, that there is a new one improved version, but you have bought the old one. You must announce this before and not afterwards. Sorry, these guys are still amateurs and far from profesionalism. I don't expect them to be top notch, but they can't make simple mistakes like these. Basics in product lifecyclemanagement missing. Quality assurance still in the beginnings. I was really looking in buying some more highend stuff from Audeze, but after certain experiences and this thread they are on my blacklist.

I agree 100%. This creates so much unnecessary confusion. It really is amateur hour from this boutique audiophile companies. Hifiman with random releases with crazy pricing and price changes, Dan Clark Audio with a revision/ ''improvement'' /tweak every year at least and Audeze with the most confusing system of updates by serial numbers....

I'm a fan of the company but they really need to start releasing these significant revisions as new models. If this was an Audeze LCD-X2 and an Audeze LCD-XC2 there would be almost no backlash.

A new improved version with customers able to upgrade their older versions for $500 or so would have been met very positively. Kind of like the Schiit model where you can always pay to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

The resale market is gonna be funny with this changes. You need a Phd in Audeze to keep track of which version you have.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #132 of 2,725
If new model means increased MSRP price then I am fine with a little confusion.
Advertisement/product launch/new cosmetics bs etc would definitely raise the price.
I would just stick to year by year revision base.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #133 of 2,725
Imagine people working hard and saving money for month to buy one of their products and the next day Audeze tells you, that there is a new one improved version
Welcome to buying anything ever..

Also going to have to disagree with you on the 'amateurs' comment, even though I do agree that there could be more clarity on this stuff beforehand. While I won't defend releasing a headphone that measured like the early 2020 version, you see this kind of stuff from manufacturers in just about every industry. The difference, as I see it, is that the headphone world isn't used to a concept of model years yet - even though when it comes to Audeze products, the community tends to treat it like that. I think it's just a matter of recognizing it and understanding which version you're buying, which once again can and should be done better. But this doesn't indicate any lack of professionalism, merely a disconnect between the way these types of products are traditionally seen in the eyes of the public and a more forward thinking relationship to new information. We don't feel weird about car manufacturers updating their models every year with new stuff, we expect it at this point. I'd be perfectly happy with that concept in headphones, as long as people know what it is they're buying.

Last edited:

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #134 of 2,725
Never have I seen so many ppl upset with announcement of an improved product. Well, other the Windows Ofcause. Lol

iPhone 11, iPhone 12, iPhone 13. Released every year around September like clockwork. Don't see any complaints about their product lifecycle management.

Audeze - sudden announcement of improvements with no warning, headphone has the exact same name and look.

Customer just want to know what the hell they're getting when shelling out 2000 DOLLARS to 4000 DOLLARS for headphones..... not too much to ask.

I'm in charge of Audeze this is what I do in February or March.

Dear Headfiers!

1. From April 1st we are selling our new and improved LCD-X2 and LCD-XC2. Prices stay the same!
2. If you have the original LCD-X or LCDXC upgrade to the latest version for $600.
3. We're slashing prices of remaining stock of the LCD-X and LCD-XC by 25%. Grab them while you can!

Problem solved.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #135 of 2,725
I agree 100%. This creates so much unnecessary confusion. It really is amateur hour from this boutique audiophile companies. Hifiman with random releases with crazy pricing and price changes, Dan Clark Audio with a revision/ ''improvement'' /tweak every year at least and Audeze with the most confusing system of updates by serial numbers....

I'm a fan of the company but they really need to start releasing these significant revisions as new models. If this was an Audeze LCD-X2 and an Audeze LCD-XC2 there would be almost no backlash.

A new improved version with customers able to upgrade their older versions for $500 or so would have been met very positively. Kind of like the Schiit model where you can always pay to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

The resale market is gonna be funny with this changes. You need a Phd in Audeze to keep track of which version you have.
Thankfully I have a Phd in Audeze, but I can see the confusion coming to the secondhand market. (2020 version looks the same as the 2021 version but without the sound improvements for example.)

I agree with you on the naming. If they released this more significant change as LCD-X v2, there would be 90% less angry comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back