LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 3, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #152 of 2,740
Disappointed the way these expensive products are treated and constantly “updated”. It’s laughable when reviewers are using the lcd-x for example and they have to refer to alteration, version etc. At these level there should be a pride of ownership and the company should stand firm behind their products. Changing sound signature that way is disrespectful to their customers and will hurt their reputation in the long run. I own the LCD-MX4 and would like to buy the LCD-4 but with all these changes, alterations, revisions just doesn’t worth it. If they have new knowledge and “improvements” they should launch a new headphone.

Products are updated without you knowing all the time. I used to work for a very large company that made game consoles. Each time a console was returned under warranty you got a different one back. Why? They’d improved the spec, fixed problems etc.

Still an old chassi, but a totally updated spec.

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #153 of 2,740
That should be the latest version spoken of here.

I ordered my LCD-X from Adorama in late January and it falls within the serial number range of the latest revision. However my Creator edition still came in the cardboard box. The “Economy Case” they ship in now was only implemented about a month ago.
That further complicates things. At least all new versions should have come with the new case. That would have been a good indicator of the fully revised LCD-X.

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #156 of 2,740

Attachments

• 89693A8E-2B39-4676-BB8C-9F944E6A621C.jpeg
    89693A8E-2B39-4676-BB8C-9F944E6A621C.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 3, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #158 of 2,740
@betula
Magnets are stacked instead of staggered, trace is less resistant. Is the film thinner too?

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #160 of 2,740
is the weight basically the same as the lcd-2 now? i tried both in the past and prefered the lcd-x but found it too ehavy while the lcd-2 was ok imo in terms of weight
My LCD-2 weighs around 600g. The new LCD-X seems to weigh around 610-615g from what I’ve read. If you got one of the carbon fiber straps you could probably make it the same weight.

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #161 of 2,740
ok thats would be perfect then. i have one coming next Wednesday and ill let you know what i think about it

i tried the both the lcd-x and lcd-2 and preferred the lcd-x for its sound but could not deal with the weight while the lcd-2 was just fine in terms of the weight

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #163 of 2,740
So the latest version has fewer magnets, less obstructed drivers. I guess it will lead the sound to be less dynamic, but better imaging LCD-24 like direction?

I have a late 2018 / early 2019 produced XC. If they didn't change the diaphragm material/thickness for better resolution, there's little point in upgrading to the latest drivers. From sales strategy perspective I guess the new driver structure could be more for weight (and slightly cost) saving and more differentiation to the LCD-MX sound (e.g. get the MX if you want the slam).

It seems the new pads is mostly responsible to the more even FR. But I am already using EQ so there is also no hurry getting the new pads.

Well, pass on.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #164 of 2,740
So the latest version has fewer magnets, less obstructed drivers. I guess it will lead the sound to be less dynamic, but better imaging LCD-24 like direction?

I have a late 2018 / early 2019 produced XC. If they didn't change the diaphragm material/thickness for better resolution, there's little point in upgrading to the latest drivers. From sales strategy perspective I guess the new driver structure could be more for weight (and slightly cost) saving and more differentiation to the LCD-MX sound (e.g. get the MX if you want the slam).

It seems the new pads is mostly responsible to the more even FR. But I am already using EQ so there is also no hurry getting the new pads.

Well, pass on.
Do the MX actually slam? I’ve heard this about many planars and been underwhelmed by the bass impact and texture. If the MX actually do that’s good info.

Apr 4, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #165 of 2,740
The Audeze is to "dark" as the Hifiman is to "bright".

If you find the "X" by Audeze too dark, then you'll not love the LCD-2 Closed.
Yeah, tried the LCD-2 and 2C before and didn't like them as well.

Hifiman's (Sundara specifically) problem isn't that its bright, its that they sound thin and brittle due to a relative lack of lower midrange. Once i applied Oratory1990's eq to it's bass and lower mids there was no going back to its stock sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back