LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 2, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #91 of 2,740
Looks like I’m exchanging my LCD-2! Aha

for reference the LCD-2 I had weighed 599 on my scale.
Yes, my 2018 bamboo weighs 600g right about on the dot. I swapped over to the carbon headband which takes it down to 580. Perhaps the new pads are significantly lighter. Wouldn't be surprised, isn't memory foam pretty relatively heavy?

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #92 of 2,740
Resolve's measurement of the LCD-X with the "previous" pads on a GRAS 43AG. This is an exceptionally inaccurate sounding headphone, to say the least, and totally lacking ear gain.

I truly hope Audeze will release more in-house measurements, and for every single product they make, to prove that this is fixed. The other LCD models suffer from a similar problem.

With the way these plots are overlayed, is the area under each curve supposed to be equal? Seems like if you were to normalize it that way you’d get a more accurate representation of how far off from the target it is.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #95 of 2,740
Yes, my 2018 bamboo weighs 600g right about on the dot. I swapped over to the carbon headband which takes it down to 580. Perhaps the new pads are significantly lighter. Wouldn't be surprised, isn't memory foam pretty relatively heavy?
Probably a more dense material... although I am like 90% sure that the pads on mine are not memory foam.. not sure exactly is going on there.

I know they changed the “magnetic structure” in the new LCD-X (which is apparently the cause for the pad update)... perhaps this is contributing to the weight reduction in newer units.

Grover mentioned in the recent livestream that the newer pads are designed to “accommodate” the “new magnetic structure” on the LCD-X and that one doesn’t necessarily “work”
without the other.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #96 of 2,740
Audeze has a "sound".
Its not Harman, and it's not what we think of as existing as : natural or neutral.
Its "welcome to the world of Audeze sound", land.
Hifiman is similar, they have what Fang likes, per model, and this is not trying to be a snapshot of photographic sonic likeness.
Did you ever hear the original HE400? That thing weighed a tone, was so treble etched, mid lacking, and bass boosted, yet, it sounds good.
It does not sound "lifelike".
So, Audeze and HIMN are not trying to reproduce "Lifelike"
The LCD-X, is one of their best "sounds", and it plays well with music, but, its not a window into sonic realism.
Perhaps the recent MX-4 is trying to be less colored............
I suspect that the "new" LCD-X is not going to be the Queen of Sonic Naturalness, and that's ok., as that's Audeze.
Im sure i'll eventually try the "new' LCD-X.
Let the good times roll... :)
Never liked the X, sounded too dark to me. The XC was far better

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #98 of 2,740
This level of inconsistency makes me wonder if anyone should buy an Audeze headphone. If the FR is very different they should have come up with a different model. It’s just a bit of a bummer for all those who just bought the LCD-X or XC.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #99 of 2,740
Interested in some sound reviews of the "new" LCD-X

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #100 of 2,740
Interested in some sound reviews of the "new" LCD-X
Same here, the new driver seem to be the more or less the same ones (Fluxor) as the LCD-4 and also has less weight than the previous LCD-X revision which helps quite a bit compared to the original 700g’s. Not too sure about the comfort of the new pads but they seem to improve FR by a rather meaningful degree.

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #101 of 2,740
Do we know what exactly has changed in the magnetic structure? Lighter weight means less magnets which might affect bass performance.
That’s a good question for @AudezeGrover

Unless we can get people to hold flashlights up to their LCD-X drivers.

Keep in mind that a good part of perceived detail retrieval/clarity is attributed to frequency response. Even if they have removed a set of magnets they are still going to have the same “quantity” of magnets as an LCD-2 (I believe) which is already a headphone with great bass response. But, with the improved stock FR, we will still be getting MUCH better all-around performance out of the box.

My biggest concern actually is the quality of these non-memory foam pads and their longevity.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #102 of 2,740
I am also interested in Audeze's take on the Reveal+ preset with the new version. If the FR has changed that much with the new pads and transducers, sure the old preset won't work with the new version. Are there going to be two presets for the LCD-X or it is simply not needed with the new one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back