LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 3, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #106 of 2,722
This level of inconsistency makes me wonder if anyone should buy an Audeze headphone. If the FR is very different they should have come up with a different model. It’s just a bit of a bummer for all those who just bought the LCD-X or XC.

Has Audeze created a link to.... or a Video regarding the "sonic changes", as per the "new magnetic structure" found within the "New" LCD-X?
IF not, why not?
That's a good question.
However, if such exists, then can someone post the link from AUDEZE, and not from some online fan-boy reviewer.
The Audeze website offers no such info.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #107 of 2,722
None so far according to Audeze.
None and apparently not in the works as it currently stands. However, the LCD-2 I got recently are not using memory foam in their pads.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #108 of 2,722
yeah the large plain font on the cups is almost cheap/tacky. Allowing the carbon fiber pattern to carry the aesthetic or some kind of pattern/logo would be nicer.
previous lcd2closed was a better look imo
1617239297593.png
Have to agree getting rid of the wood cup fir the carbon/plastic looking cup makes an fairly expensive headphone look cheap.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #109 of 2,722
Not exactly spare change to “upgrade” headphones less than a year old. But, it might be worth it........ Hopefully, someone can make some comparison. Since I don’t EQ, it seems like a tempting proposition.
Personally I have the older one and recently listened to the newer version. While better for myself the new version still needs EQ, there is still a lack of sub bass and bass, with a decent boost in the mids. I also personally dislike the new carbon/plastic cups over the old wood cups, makes the XC look cheap to me. Pads were comfortable though.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #110 of 2,722
This is a nice one. "Btw we have changed the Audeze LCD X/XC". Good for all, who just recently bought a LCD X/XC as me. These companies are still such amatuers, it's really ridicolous, especially considering the price range of their products. I'm not sure if they don't have marketing und product management staff with experience? There are standards that you can just copy from other industries regarding product upgrades and how communication should look like. Especially that you do communication it in advance and not afterwards.

I like the sound of my LCD-X in general, but you get crackling sounds when it gets warm after some time on your head and move it a little. The stock cable is braided so badly, the ends were already unbraided when they arrived brand new. The logos of the i4 are glued on where you can see the glue smeared all around (its a 3000€ product). It's like they are creating products in a garage. Sorry can't take this company seriously. The LCD-X is definitely my last Audeze product.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #111 of 2,722
Have to agree getting rid of the wood cup fir the carbon/plastic looking cup makes an fairly expensive headphone look cheap.
Compared to... HifiMan? Or DCA?

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #112 of 2,722
These companies are still such amatuers, it's really ridicolous, especially considering the price range of their products. I'm not sure if they don't have marketing und product management staff with experience? There are standards that you can just copy from other industries regarding product upgrades and how communication should look like. Especially that you do communication it in advance and not afterwards.
Wait till you find out about the software industry. “Release notes: bug fixes and new features.” And now cloud software has made “silent releases” practically universal.

I am loving the new LCD-XC with a light EQ lifting the sub-bass and lower mids, though I look forward to measurement. Can confirm no previous Audeze preset or community preset based on Oratory/Crinacle measurements will work with them.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #113 of 2,722
Need to see how these pads affect the lcd-4 FR 👀
Lcd-4 pad removal must be done by audeze due to possibly damaging the driver?

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #115 of 2,722
I’d rather have the sturdy, stronger carbon fiber than the more fragile wood, myself.

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #116 of 2,722
Personally I have the older one and recently listened to the newer version. While better for myself the new version still needs EQ, there is still a lack of sub bass and bass, with a decent boost in the mids. I also personally dislike the new carbon/plastic cups over the old wood cups, makes the XC look cheap to me. Pads were comfortable though.
What about an EQed old version vs the EQed revision?

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #117 of 2,722
I am also interested in Audeze's take on the Reveal+ preset with the new version. If the FR has changed that much with the new pads and transducers, sure the old preset won't work with the new version. Are there going to be two presets for the LCD-X or it is simply not needed with the new one?
Reveal+ wasn't even remotely sufficient to fix the memory foam pad FR. But I agree that it should be revisited and readjusted with the newest, much more normal FR in mind.
"Btw we have changed the Audeze LCD X/XC". Good for all, who just recently bought a LCD X/XC as me.
You may have found through research that they have a very long history of doing revisions, and have stated multiple times that they operate like a software company because they always want to offer the latest and greatest to the customer.

This isn't new, but it annoys me to no end that the memory foam pads were ever offered, and for multiple years in a row, as they caused a very poor tuning for such an expensive product. This is also why I am calling for all manufacturers to post measurements of every single product they make inconspicuously right on their own website. At this point, it's straight up accountability.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #118 of 2,722
You may have found through research that they have a very long history of doing revisions, and have stated multiple times that they operate like a software company because they always want to offer the latest and greatest to the customer.

Imagine not everyone is researching the whole history of a company befre buying a product. Sorry my fault.
Also can't follow the analogy with the software company. A software company makes changes (either good or bad) and the WHOLE customer base benefits from it. Also you can choose to update or not. This is not the case here. We are talking about a physical product. That's comparing apples and oranges.
It's also a nice way to reformulate, that they are doing beta testing out in the market and adapting products compared with poor communication. In other industries and especially with a larger customer base this would go horribly wrong. Imagine Apple releasing a better version of their iPhone (e.g. better camera) without communication before. But nevermind, I think that's a topic for a separate discussion.

Apr 3, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #120 of 2,722
Disappointed the way these expensive products are treated and constantly “updated”. It’s laughable when reviewers are using the lcd-x for example and they have to refer to alteration, version etc. At these level there should be a pride of ownership and the company should stand firm behind their products. Changing sound signature that way is disrespectful to their customers and will hurt their reputation in the long run. I own the LCD-MX4 and would like to buy the LCD-4 but with all these changes, alterations, revisions just doesn’t worth it. If they have new knowledge and “improvements” they should launch a new headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back