LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
May 24, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #451 of 2,398
Wow, I read this entire thread! I went to Portland two months ago to upgrade my speaker mains and center channel from Fred's Sound of Music. After that was completed I went to 32Ohm/ALO Audio to audition headphones and cables. Based on my experience building several different personal systems over the years (I think I'm on "v.7" now) I'm a firm believer in thinking cables are another component in the chain requiring careful consideration. So it didn't surprise me that I could tailor the sound signature of the LCD2 simply by using different cable styles.

I auditioned the LCD2, HD650, Beyer T5p, and Ultrasone HFI-780. The LCD2 with ALO cables was easily the best SQ compared to the others. My notes say the HD650 came in 2nd along with being the best value. One of my main system philosophies has always been to achieve the best value for my money.

Now my new speakers sound amazing compared to what I had before but it made me realize that my current interconnects and speaker cables aren't allowing my system to sound the best that I believe it is capable of. So I have been researching this subject and came up with the Nordost Heimdal which from what I have read sounds like it would be a good match to the other components. Now if I could replace all cables with the Q-Audio I would save ~40-50% in the process. I would be interested in hearing about anyone here that is using Q-Audio cables in there main system? (Hopefully this request isn't off-topic.)

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Being a noob here I really appreciate the collective knowledge that is being shared for everyone's benefit.

May 24, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #453 of 2,398
milosolo: The Heimdall is a distinctly coloured cable, with a forward mid-range. It's a pity, because the design would make for a neat headphone cable.  For half the price of a pair you could also get the Van Den Hul The Orchid, which is much like the Nordost, sans the colouration.  VDH isn't a well-known company in the USA, as they do no advertising and are more famous for their cartridges. 

May 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #455 of 2,398
brasewel - The goal of my visit was to just gain a general idea of; 1) what I liked in the ALO lineup, and 2) impressions of the four cans I auditioned. I didn't take notes on the cables I tried (doh!) but I seem to recall I tried a couple of different gauges of copper and one copper/silver hybrid. The LCD2/ALO were clearly the ultimate combinations of what I tried. If I recall correctly I liked the copper cables more than the hybrid. The HD650 combinations were very excellent at ~half the price of the LCD2. I purchased a nearly new HD650 with DHC Molecule cable from a member here and so far I've put ~180 hours of burn-in on them and I'm very happy with the purchase!

Currawong - Thank you for your feedback and the suggestion. I had heard of VDH before but didn't realize what a huge selection of cables, carts, etc. that they offer. I think one of the appeals of this hobby is the amount of research one can do before having to ultimately make a purchase decision!

May 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #456 of 2,398

Quote:
Well, just ordered my lcd2 and my q cable today. I am sure the cable will make a difference, the question will be will I like the lcd2. Time will tell.

Awesome man.  Looking forward to hearing what you think.

...I almost wrote "hearing what you hear"...lol

May 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #457 of 2,398
Just received my lcd2 today and I get my balanced q-cable tomorrow.

May 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #458 of 2,398

Quote:
...I almost wrote "hearing what you hear"...lol

Gonna have to wait for USB 10.0 for that.
biggrin.gif

se

May 25, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #460 of 2,398
Of course I want balanced. The mini xlr better weigh the same as the regular xlr's.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back