LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
May 23, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #437 of 2,398
Yeah!  And a jumprope...and tow cables!! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Quote:
Steve,
I think for an add you need to lace up an pair of sneakers with one of your cables. Dual purpose. 

May 23, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #438 of 2,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think for an add you need to lace up an pair of sneakers with one of your cables. Dual purpose. 

Hehehe. Yeah, though it would probably come across as a bit of a rip-off of the Crystal Cable ads.

se

May 23, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #440 of 2,398
Pre-Scriptum : can a moderator delete my previous post please, i think the mini-review didn't appeared and i can't manage to edit it :/

Some images of the norse cables, i guess i can just post them here, making it more visible for people instead of the email way trevor uses
smile.gif

Splitter choices :

4-conductor adjustable :

8-conductor :

So, what i ordered is a 10 ft. Norse 4-conductor nrs-up-occ LCD-2 headphone cable (adjustable breakout, Caribbean Rosewood, SE 1/4").

How about the sound ? First i'm not really a cable believer and i was not awaiting a change SQ wise. I did not tested it methodically so i'll just give my impressions take it for what it's worth
ph34r.gif

When i first plugged it seemed the sound was darker and i was disapointed, but whatever i kept burning it (not a cable burn-in believer too :D ). Weeks passed and i didn't bother about how it sounded, the huge ergonomic improvement alone was the principal concern. Out of curiosity i decided to go back to the stock ADZ5 to see if it was brighter. The result was that the stock is not brighter, and amazingly i perceived less details with it.

I did not A/B the two extensively as quite frankly i don't care that much, but it seems to my superficial observations that the norse is indeed superior SQ wise...

May 23, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #442 of 2,398

Quote:
Pre-Scriptum : can a moderator delete my previous post please, i think the mini-review didn't appeared and i can't manage to edit it :/
Some images of the norse cables, i guess i can just post them here, making it more visible for people instead of the email way trevor uses
smile.gif

4-conductor adjustable :

So, what i ordered is a 10 ft. Norse 4-conductor nrs-up-occ LCD-2 headphone cable (adjustable breakout, Caribbean Rosewood, SE 1/4").

How about the sound ? First i'm not really a cable believer and i was not awaiting a change SQ wise. I did not tested it methodically so i'll just give my impressions take it for what it's worth
ph34r.gif

When i first plugged it seemed the sound was darker and i was disapointed, but whatever i kept burning it (not a cable burn-in believer too :D ). Weeks passed and i didn't bother about how it sounded, the huge ergonomic improvement alone was the principal concern. Out of curiosity i decided to go back to the stock ADZ5 to see if it was brighter. The result was that the stock is not brighter, and amazingly i perceived less details with it.

I did not A/B the two extensively as quite frankly i don't care that much, but it seems to my superficial observations that the norse is indeed superior SQ wise...

Sound's like You truly like these cable's and that's great new's, are they heavy like some have said of the chain mail cable's by ALO or do they feel just right.

May 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #443 of 2,398
Got my Q-Audio Black Magic cable from Steve. Very very light and flexible - can't really comment on the sound quality, don't think I'm skilled enough to notice too many differences, but it's definitely made the LCD-2's lighter and more comfortable to wear, which is awesome in my book.

May 23, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #444 of 2,398
Well, just ordered my lcd2 and my q cable today. I am sure the cable will make a difference, the question will be will I like the lcd2. Time will tell.

May 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #446 of 2,398
I have the 4-conductor Norse, not the 8 conductor.  That was much, much lighter than the ALO I had, but I think ALO has a lighter cable now too.  Nothing beats the Q-Audio for lightness - it's not even close.  But the 4-conductor Norse is very good ergonomically, and I have no issue with its weight or stiffness.

May 24, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #447 of 2,398

Quote:
I have the 4-conductor Norse, not the 8 conductor.  That was much, much lighter than the ALO I had, but I think ALO has a lighter cable now too.  Nothing beats the Q-Audio for lightness - it's not even close.  But the 4-conductor Norse is very good ergonomically, and I have no issue with its weight or stiffness.

Which cable is more to Your liking overall?

May 24, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #448 of 2,398
Ergonomically, I would rank the 4 cables as such:

1. Q-Audio
2. Norse 4-conductor/Moon Audio Silver Dragon (equal)
3. ALO Audio Chain Mail

Sonically, I would rank them:

1. Q-Audio
2. ALO Audio Chain Mail
3. Moon Audio Silver Dragon/Norse 4-Conductor (*different*, but relatively equal)

BUT:  I would STRONGLY caution that sonically I felt ALL of them were very good, and any given listener will have different preferences, especially since the differences are so slight.

What makes the Q-Audio a no-brainer for me is that it's by far the best ergonomically, as well as sounding just slightly better than the others, and being reasonably priced.  OTOH, the Norse is very good in every respect and the least expensive, so it has a LOT going for it.

I have huge respect for Ken at ALO audio, and have liked a lot of his products, and own a lot of them, but the weight and cost of the chain-mail cable that I bought make it kind of the toughest to recommend of this bunch.

May 24, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #449 of 2,398
Thanks SkyLab for the info, it will probably come down to the Q-Audio or the Norse. I'll take My time and figure it out when the time come's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back