LCD-2 and LCD-3 Owners - which aftermarket cable do you use?
May 15, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #377 of 2,398

Quote:
They've got to be self powered to have a name like that!  
wink_face.gif

true :)

May 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #378 of 2,398
May 16, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #380 of 2,398
May 16, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #382 of 2,398

Quote:
Quote:

I read your response with a sheepish expression on my face.

Okay, sorry, I'm done.

Assuming you aren't trying to fleece me with your capitulation, I will concede the victory to you.

May 16, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #384 of 2,398
I just received my Q Audio cables in the mail.  So far, I'm very pleased.  They are a delight to wear as I'm working at the computer.  No more microphonics as the cable brushes my clothing (this was on the stock cables).

I'm not much of a cables believer, but I have to say these impress me more than the Norse 4-conductor cables I heard on my system 2 weeks ago.  The Norse were also better than the stock cables, especially in the bass, and a more open soundstage.  The Q-audio cables duplicate this, but also seem to add a bit more harmonic roundness to the music.  But take this with a huge grain of salt, since I am not comparing them side-by-side.  I only heard the Norse for about 30 minutes, on a variety of sources in addition to my own rig.  My impression is that the Q-audio cables have a bit smoother top end.  I have HF hearing damage in my left ear, so I can't talk about stereo imaging, but the Yo-yo Ma Baroque recording I'm listening to now sounds incredibly rich & present.

My take is that the Q-audio cables are a bit of a bargain, and well-worth the purchase.  I owe special thanks to Kevin (kwkarth) for encouraging me to try these.  And Steve Eddy was a pleasure to deal with, gave me great communication during the process.

Highly recommended!

Frank

May 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #385 of 2,398
Thanks Frank.
I'm not much of a cable believer myself and don't want to spend more than I need to on headphone cables. However, the move to aftermarket cables on the LCDs did noticeably improve the SQ which surprised me. It seems the Norse Audio cables are pretty good at the price they sell for.

May 16, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #386 of 2,398
Yes, it was experiencing the Norse cables that started the upgrade bug for me.  They were clearly better (which annoyed me, since they shouldn't be).  I think you made a good choice.  You're running balanced too, aren't you?  You have no reason or incentive to invest any more in cables!  Unless, of course, you start getting "cable" envy...  OK.  No RATIONAL incentive to invest.

best,

Frank

May 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #387 of 2,398
My feeling is the same. I like the Norse cable quite a bit - better than the stock cable in terms of sonics and ergonomics, and looks great too. Also nice and affordable. But the Q-Audio cable is even better ergonomically in that it is supremely flexible and light, and it also has a level of transparency that is an improve,net on the Norse, and does not at all come with added brightness - it is real transparency.

May 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #389 of 2,398
Yes I'm running them balanced. I'm all set with cables and headphones in general. I just hope I don't have to upgrade my amp anytime soon 
wink.gif

Quote:
Yes, it was experiencing the Norse cables that started the upgrade bug for me.  They were clearly better (which annoyed me, since they shouldn't be).  I think you made a good choice.  You're running balanced too, aren't you?  You have no reason or incentive to invest any more in cables!  Unless, of course, you start getting "cable" envy...  OK.  No RATIONAL incentive to invest.

best,

Frank

I'm still not much of a cable believer. This is probably the only instance where a cable has made such a big difference in SQ to me.

Quote:
So you folks who are not much of a cable believer are you cable believers now?

May 16, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #390 of 2,398

Quote:
So you folks who are not much of a cable believer are you cable believers now?

I'll give you a big, fat "Maybe."  As with everything else in this hobby, it seems that "everything matters." 

But frankly I really do not believe in wire differences (e.g. silver vs. copper).  I think things like cable geometry, choice of dilectic, and especially the quality and type of connectors make more difference.  I still do not believe in power cables, once they've been appropriately sized and configured for the load.

I suppose that from an engineering standpoint, everything comes down to resistance, impedence and reactance.  I make a lot of my own cables, interconnects and headphone cables.  Rarely do I hear much difference between them, despite a lot of experimentation.  Whenever I DO hear a difference, I can usually track it down to a difference in capacitance or resistance in the cable.  There is also a skill factor.  For instance, the Litz wires used in the Q-cable are individually thinner than a human hair, and individually insulated.  To make high-quality terminations requires a solder pot and a lot of manual dexterity.  Definitely worth paying someone else to do it!

Just my $.02

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back